Convert Fynspray Galley Hand Pump to Foot Pump

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Convert Fynspray Galley Hand Pump to Foot Pump

Post by John Stone »

I could not position the photos in-line. Whenever I attached more than one photo they popped up in weird places. So I will post them separately below the narrative.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As part of the extensive rebuild of the Far Reach I installed a Fynsprsy WS62 brass galley pump in 2014. I chose it because it had a good reputation for reliability, it had no plastic, and it looked great, especially in the traditional interior I designed and installed in the boat. While it is an expensive pump I managed to get it on a 50 percent sale from a vendor in Canada. I really like the timeless classic vintage look.

I had removed the ubiquitous Whale Gusher MkIII galley faucet foot pump when I gutted the boat and tossed it in a box of parts I decided to keep.

Then Fynspray does not pump a high volume of water which is surprising given its size and the sweeping travel arc of the long pump handle. And, while there are advantages of a foot pump over a hand pump I generally liked the Fynspray and I was used to it. However, I have had trouble with it over the years achieving a prime when it sat unused for any length of time—as in more than a couple weeks. On its best day it does not generate a lot of suction while on its worst day there is no prime. My pump came with the new nitrile rubber plunger a supposed long lived upgrade to the leather cup which can dry out causing the pump to lose prime. The thing is, you could always take the leather cup out of the pump and soak it in water. It would become supple again and you would be good to go.

However, what I have experienced with the nitrile cup is that over time it seems to shrink. And when it does, there does not appear to be anything you can do. The nitrile cup is also fairly rigid. It's kinda hard and more rigid than supple.

The inside diameter of the pump barrel is 1.5" exactly. I have replaced the nitril cups twice at a cost of about $30 each time. Both have shrunk about 1/16" less in outside diameter than the barrel ID. In other words the nitrile cup eventually no longer maintains contact with the inside surface of the barrel and thus cannot generate a vacuum suction. The cup is not supple enough to flex and expand on the upstroke to create suction. No suction: no water. In the past I have taken the pump apart and coated the cup and barrel with silicon grease. It usually worked...for awhile...lather, rinse, repeat.

Over the last five years I have sent White Start Products of New Zealand (the maker of the pump) four emails asking for insights on the pump as well as requesting a part number for a WS60 pump I use for sink in the head compartment. I have never received a reply. Not one. It's disrespectful for a company not to reply to customers. Even if they could not help me, just a reply would go a long way. It says a lot about the company's attitude towards its customers when they don't reply to inquiries.

As I prepared the boat for launching this fall I once again found the pump unable to draw water. I took it apart. I greased it and reinstalled it. It would not pull water. I checked the integrity of the hoses and the connection to be sure I did not have a leak in the system. I took the intake hose off the pump and sucked on the hose and immediately got a mouth-full of water. I emailed the company. A week later and still no reply. I had had enough.

I removed the pump from the countertop and took it home, disassembled it, and looked it over. I happened to still have the Whale Gusher MKIII Galley Foot Pump that came with the boat. I have owned the Far Reach for 24 years. As mentioned, the whale Gusher is probably 40 years old. It's so old the main body housing is blue instead of white like all the others I have seen. So far as I know it's never been rebuilt. I took it out of the junk box in the shop. It was covered with dust and grime. I blew off the dust with compressed air. I hooked the whale gusher up to a hose and stuck the hose into a pail of water. I stepped on the foot pump and it immediately pumped water at hight volume without a bit of fuss.

I decided it was time to rethink the galley pump system. Because I have a toe kick under the galley sink cabinet I was faced with a design challenge. The toe-kick does not support the installation of a foot pump (the top of the toe kick covers the foot lever). I would have to modify the toe-kick. I made some drawings. Seemed doable.

Next, I removed all the guts of the fynsprsy pump to include the plunger and handle. I used a hole saw to cut a 1" diameter disk from a 1/8" thick pice of copper I had in box of metal offcuts. I cut a similar size gasket from a piece of 1/8" thick rubber. I installed these two pieces in place of the plunger assembly and screwed the cap down. I then connected the Whale Gusher outflow hose to the Fynsprsy intake. I stepped on the foot pump and water gushed out of the Fynspray faucet.

The Fynspray WS 62 is a single action pump (it moves water only on the up stroke ) while the Whale Gusher is double action and is moving water on both the upstroke and downstroke. It was clear to me this was the path forward. Along with the advantage of freeing up my hands while drawing water I had the aesthetic benefit of a good looking substantial brass faucet combined with the power of the Whale Gusher.

The modifications to the toe kick were not complicated but required some thoughtful detailed work. To accomplish it I removed the galley sink cabinet from the Far Reach. Because I designed and built the interior of the Far Reach to be removable this only took about 30 minutes. I took the cabinet home and assembled it in my shop so I had better access to it.

Looking at where the pump needed to go (I wanted to preserve as much of the toe kick as possible) i decided I need to install the Whale Gusher on the left side of the cabinet when I was facing forward. It was therefore apparent it would be advantageous to have a left hand pump. What that means is instead of the water intake and exhaust ports being on the right side of the pump, they would be on the left side. My pump was a right hand pump. I looked at the pump carefully and it occurred to me it was probably reversible. With a philips-head screwdriver I removed the front and rear covers along with the foot lever and reversed them and reassembled the pump. I retested the pump in a bucket of water. It worked perfectly.

I careful positioned the pump where I thought it would work best and took measurements. I made a few pencil marks and laid down some tape to mark where the pump would need to be positioned. I removed the toe kick and shortened it by cutting off about 7" on the chop saw. Next, I milled some scrap African mahogany and made an L shaped modification with a slot for the foot pump lever. I cut a half lap joint and glued it up using Tite-Bond III.

After the glue dried I test fit the parts. It fit nicely and looked good. Satisfied I sanded it and applied a base coat of varnish thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits to serve as a sealer coat for follow-on coats of varnish.

Next, I decided to add a bare teak trim ring under the faucet base to raise the faucet about 1/2" and provide a wood contrast to the counter top. The bare teak also matched the bare teak trim around the edge of the sink.

When it stops raining (ugh) I will reinstall the sink cabinet in the boat and make a template for the modified portion of the toe-kick to incorporate the upward slope of the hull and then trim the new part to fit. Six coats of varnish to the toe-kick mod will complete the job.

(This posted was edited for grammar because I typed it on my phone🤦🏻‍♂️).
Last edited by John Stone on Sep 22nd, '24, 08:10, edited 2 times in total.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Convert Fynspray Galley Hand Pump to Foot Pump

Post by John Stone »

Fynspray WS 62 Brass Galley Pump
Fynspray WS 62 Brass Galley Pump
40 year old Whale Gusher Mk III
40 year old Whale Gusher Mk III
Diameter of pump Barrel
Diameter of pump Barrel
Diameter of nitrile rubber cup
Diameter of nitrile rubber cup
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Chaos in the Far Reach....
Chaos in the Far Reach....
Testing the concept....
Testing the concept....
Much easier to work in the shop.
Much easier to work in the shop.
Test fitting.
Test fitting.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It may appear chaotic but at least you can disassemble and reassemble with relative ease. Stick built has its benefits. Nice Birds Eye maple on that cabinet door.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Very nice, John, thanks for posting.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Hi John,

Nice writeup on the galley sink pump.
I like your installation - best of both worlds.

Just an FYI -

I had to replace the Whale Gusher Foot Pump (WHAGP0550) in Felicity's galley back in 2020.
The old one was leaking badly from the area shown here (this is the underside of the pump):
Whale_Leak.jpg
It worked well for one year but then the new one started leaking from the same area.
The pump has a five year warranty and the distributor replaced it free of charge.

The replacement lasted about 2 years and again the distributor replaced it free of charge.
It developed a dripping leak when used.
It leaked from the same area of the pump as the prior one.

So now I have the third pump and it is working well with no leaks since August.

I wrote about the original replacement on this forum here:
\viewtopic.php?p=218337#p218337

So... now I'm wondering if something is wrong with how I winterize the pump.
Or if I just got two lemons in a row.

Each fall I run 2 gallons of pink antifreeze through the freshwater system - I disconnect the water line from the tank and run the antifreeze directly into the water line and pump it out through both the galley and the head faucets. I pump it through and use a lot so I don't worry during our cold Connecticut winters.

Any thoughts on whether this antifreeze might break down the seals in the pump?
supertech_antifreeze.JPG
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Ken, I don't know if the antifreeze would damage the pump seals, but your winterization would seem to be okay. In my boat, I don't
use antifreeze in the fresh water system. I drain the tanks and keep at the foot pump until no water comes out. I've had the same
whale foot pump since 2012 with no issues.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well, I have read the same thing about leaks in the Whale Gusher. It did give me pause. But I was pissed Fynspray would not reply to my emails. IDK. I have a spare Whale Gusher pump and a complete rebuild kit on order. Plus I carry all the Fynspray guts with a new nitrile cup for the original set up in my spares.

What I have noticed is my Whale Gusher has a blue body. I have not seen that on any others and I don't know what it means. I know it's a very old pump. Was it made out of better material?

It is concerning when so many companies have been taken over by conglomerates who then get accountants involved making decisions and they cheapen the product to wring every cent of profit from it. The consumers of course get screwed. I'm just speculating of course. The five year warranty is helpful for sure. That's uncommon these days. So good on 'em for doing that.

I completed reinstalling everything back into the boat. I think it turned out very nice. I'm pleased and looking forward to trying it out with the boat in the water.
Attachments
IMG_5448.jpeg
IMG_5451.jpeg
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

keneasley wrote: Sep 18th, '24, 16:24 Hi John,

Nice writeup on the galley sink pump.
I like your installation - best of both worlds.

Just an FYI -

I had to replace the Whale Gusher Foot Pump (WHAGP0550) in Felicity's galley back in 2020.
The old one was leaking badly from the area shown here (this is the underside of the pump):

Whale_Leak.jpg

It worked well for one year but then the new one started leaking from the same area.
The pump has a five year warranty and the distributor replaced it free of charge.

The replacement lasted about 2 years and again the distributor replaced it free of charge.
It developed a dripping leak when used.
It leaked from the same area of the pump as the prior one.

So now I have the third pump and it is working well with no leaks since August.

I wrote about the original replacement on this forum here:
\viewtopic.php?p=218337#p218337

So... now I'm wondering if something is wrong with how I winterize the pump.
Or if I just got two lemons in a row.

Each fall I run 2 gallons of pink antifreeze through the freshwater system - I disconnect the water line from the tank and run the antifreeze directly into the water line and pump it out through both the galley and the head faucets. I pump it through and use a lot so I don't worry during our cold Connecticut winters.

Any thoughts on whether this antifreeze might break down the seals in the pump?

supertech_antifreeze.JPG
Hi Ken, I checked out your post and thread on the pump. Very useful info. I don't know why the pump leaks eventually. The plastic materials are the most likely culprit I guess.

I read somewhere else the suggestion that debris get pulled out of water tanks and lodged in the pump causing damage to the guts. There was a suggestion to put a small filter inline before the pump. I have a small Pur filter I may install in the water line.

I also noticed your the blue pump body on your thread. So they must have used to be made that way. I wonder what that's about?

I don't have any opinion on the potable anti freeze. I don't use it and have no experience with it.