Port Light Gaskets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bryce

Port Light Gaskets

Post by Bryce »

When I bought my CD28 it did not have gaskets on the ports. I have owned it for 22+ years and never knew until recently that the ports were supposed to have gaskets. They would leak sometimes but simply tightening them would resolve the problem.

After realizing that they were supposed to have gaskets I purchased the material (1/2-inch EPDM) from McMaster-Carr for installation. While doing some dry fitting of the gaskets I tried closing the port. I found that it is almost impossible to close the port with the gasket installed.

So I just wanted to see if this is the same condition that others have experienced when installing new gasket material?
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Re: Port Light Gaskets

Post by sgbernd »

I assume you removed the old compressed gaskets from the channel first and cleaned down to bare metal.

Assuming that to be the case, on my windows, the glass and the frame are not as parallel as one might hope, resulting in more compression of the gasket at the top near the hinges than the bottom near the dogs. If you tighten them gently at first, the top is tight while the bottom is still loose enough to leak. However, after several days left in this state, the top compresses and you can tighten them some more which seals uniformly.

Steve
Craig Curtis
Belmont Harbor, Chicago IL

Post by Craig Curtis »

Did you order the soft or the standard neoprene cord stock? I made the mistake of ordering the standard earlier this year and had the same issue. The soft is what you want. Upon closing the ports the first time it will be an exceptionally tight fit due to the thickness at the top but they'll compress a little and hold a flatter shape once you get them closed the first time. (FWIW after my error of ordering the standard I didn't in fact order the soft but rather just bought them premade through Spartan, not wanting to potentially screw up a second time. It was apparent however that Spartan uses the 1/2 soft to make them.)

Here's the link for the soft:

https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-rubbe ... ord-stock/
Craig Curtis
1990 CD 40 "Coalescence"
Belmont Harbor
Chicago, IL
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Craig Curtis wrote: It was apparent however that Spartan uses the 1/2 soft to make them.)

Here's the link for the soft:

https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-rubbe ... ord-stock/
Just curious... has anyone tried using 7/16 instead of 1/2? Seems like it might work better top & bottom.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I replaced all of mine with McMaster-Carr 8605K44 Ultra-Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Cord, 1/2" Diameter, 100 Feet and haven’t had a leak yet. The hatches close just fine.

@mgphl52, I have some spare, if you need some.

-david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Bryce wrote:When I bought my CD28 it did not have gaskets on the ports. I have owned it for 22+ years and never knew until recently that the ports were supposed to have gaskets. They would leak sometimes but simply tightening them would resolve the problem.

After realizing that they were supposed to have gaskets I purchased the material (1/2-inch EPDM) from McMaster-Carr for installation. While doing some dry fitting of the gaskets I tried closing the port. I found that it is almost impossible to close the port with the gasket installed.

So I just wanted to see if this is the same condition that others have experienced when installing new gasket material?
We got the pre-made gaskets from Spartan and had no issue.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bryce,

What year is your CD28?

The older CD28s have plastic ports and the newer CD28s have bronze ports. Are your ports plastic or bronze?

- Cathy
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

My CD is a 1981 and has the bronze ports. It might be that the chord I purchased was too stiff. I will try the soft version from McMaster-Carr to see if that makes a difference. Thank you all for your responses.
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Bryce, if you want, shoot me your address and I’ll send you enough for a port light. Then you can decide if it works better for you. -david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

What glue have you guys used for the gaskets? I used Testers model airplane cement on the recommendation of Spartan and a couple of the gaskets have come unglued.
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

What glue have you guys used for the gaskets? I used Testers model airplane cement on the recommendation of Spartan and a couple of the gaskets have come unglued.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

You might want to try Barge All Purpose Cement.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have found Weldwood Contact Cement works well. I just used some to replace a gasket and the cement was still fine after several years so it apparently has a long shelf life after opening.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Easy to find at any auto parts store.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0