Topic Removed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Topic Removed

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

"SAIL magazine article involving Cape Dory 30 - Sea Hunt Sat 5/22/10 11:05 pm"

....was removed by the Webmaster due to off-topic and inapproriate replies.
Board FAQs wrote:What posts are permitted and prohibited?
Anything having to do with Cape Dory power and sail boats is fair game, except for certain commercial posts - see the next question.
We are a community of boaters, so occasional general boating questions, as well as occasional personal messages that help build the sense of community, are OK. However, three topics are always off-limits: Sex, religion and politics. Any mention of these inevitably draws fuel, heat and (hot) air - the ingredients for a fire if not an explosion.

In order to keep this board a safe, friendly place for discussing Cape Dory boats, negative personal comments are not permitted. Disagree with statements if you must, but don't attack other members of our community.

Please remember that our server space is limited, and we do keep most of the messages in the archive. The rec.boats newsgroups are another good place for general questions.

Any spam messages which deliberately try to exploit the message board - such as non-boating ads, chain letters, etc. - are prohibited, and will be dealt with severely. That means not only removal, but a complaint to the Internet Service Provider of the spammer.
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

Topic removed

Post by Alan Holman »

With respect, I'd like to suggest it would be helpful if you could be a little more specific in the reasons for removing the topic on the SAIL article. If you removed the topic because I suggested Sea Runt was being cheap, then it would be helpful to say this, then I would know, and the board would be aware. In my world being close with a dollar isn't a hanging offense. iIf it is in your world then it would be helpful to know this to better understand the parameters.
The Meddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Meddler,

I don't think your comment was the reason. There seemed (at least to me) that something else was going on.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Dean Abramson

I agree

Post by Dean Abramson »

I was not on the Board most of yesterday, but I glancingly saw that thread developing. I don't know what all ultimately happened before Cathy stepped in, but what I saw is that it seemed like someone made a post only for the purpose of mocking another participant. It was not good-natured banter like we often see here, but, rather, in my opinion, just mean-spirited.

I also do not think it was what The Meddler said that got the thread killed.

I am glad that Cathy quashed it. Good job, Cathy. The beauty of this board has been that, rare among internet forums, there is an atmosphere of community and civility. I vote for trying to maintain that.

Sure, there are folks who might occasionally push your particular hot button. (I have no doubt that I bug my share of folks.) But once we start taking personal shots at each other, our forum is heading in the wrong direction. I have been sucked into the fray a few times myself, so I plead guilty to that. Ultimately no one wins these pissing contests, and it brings the whole board down, IMHO.

Personally, I would vote for everyone using their real names. If you are not willing to write something above your actual name, maybe you should not be writing it.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
tartansailor

Re: I agree

Post by tartansailor »

Dean Abramson wrote:
Personally, I would vote for everyone using their real names. If you are not willing to write something above your actual name, maybe you should not be writing it.

Dean
tartansailor, aka Richard Papp
Milton, DE
Anyone else want to chime in?
Dick
Troy Scott

deleted topic

Post by Troy Scott »

Well I guess I missed all that. I was too busy working on the boat this weekend to check in.

I will have to say that I am on this forum for three reasons:
1. Folks here are nice.
2. Folks here help me with my boat problems.
3. Folks here are nice.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Time to move on....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Paragragh 2 of the board FAQ "What posts are permitted and prohibited?"....
In order to keep this board a safe, friendly place for discussing Cape Dory boats, negative personal comments are not permitted. Disagree with statements if you must, but don't attack other members of our community.

...was violated.

If you disagree with someone. Simply state that you disagree, and state why, in a civil and respectful manner. Personal attacks, name calling and mud slinging are inappropriate, detract from the purpose of this board, and will not be tolerated.

By the way, you wouldn't want to call someone "cheap" either. It would have been much better to say that he/she "may not be able to afford" something. I know it is sometimes difficult, but please try to be a little more sensitive to others, and pick your words a little more carefully before clicking on "Submit"

Anyway, consider this the end of this thread. It's time to move on gang.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
oldragbaggers

Re: I agree

Post by oldragbaggers »

Dean Abramson wrote: I am glad that Cathy quashed it. Good job, Cathy. The beauty of this board has been that, rare among internet forums, there is an atmosphere of community and civility. I vote for trying to maintain that.
Dean
I'm with you Dean. I am a soapmaker and I joined a soapmaking forum in the hopes of learning and sharing with more experienced soapmakers. But, often when I offered a suggestion or posted a question, I got mercilessly attacked by a couple of other soapmakers who wanted to rule the forum with their superior knowledge. Ultimately I left, so the value of that forum, to me, became nothing. It would be a pitiful shame to have that happen on this forum as we have such a wonderful group of enthusiastic, knowledgeable people who are always willing to share both and unlimited inspiration with others. I hope this board never changes.

Becky
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Troy Scott

real names

Post by Troy Scott »

yes, by all means.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I also agree

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yesterday I sent Cathy a p.m. thanking her for taking down that thread. Today I'll add my note to the others in agreement.

What started out as a simple reference to an article about a CD in the June issue of Sail magazine, turned into something inappropriate. I'm afraid one of my posts contributed to that degeneration.

For that, I'm sorry.

Good on you, Cathy!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

Topic removed

Post by Alan Holman »

Mr. Myerson,
Tis I, The Meddler who is the cause of the thread being closed. I am the one who needs to do the apologizing. And I do so, fully and freely to all those whom I have offended, most especially to Sea Runt, who, though I don't know him/her, I have no reason to believe is anything other than a kind and generous person. My remark was intemperate and uncalled for.
As to the suggestion that everyone should use their own name when posting on the board, I agree. I use The Meddler, because when I first joined the board I had the impression that everyone was expected to use an alias. I am not hiding behind The Meddler and have no objection people knowing who I am.
Alan Holman
Charlottetown, PE
Canada
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am always so pleased with how people conduct themselves on these forums. Even the rare time when someone does go slightly off they apologize graciously. This is increadably rare on internet forums, where petty bickering takes up 90% of the posts and no one ever admits to stepping over the line. The CD forums are very rare and have some of the most pleasent and helpful people to be found.

I am proud to share this little corner of cyberspace with all of you.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
ronkberg

Thanks Cathy

Post by ronkberg »

I missed the thread and am glad that it was removed. If it was not in the professional and/or comical tone of this forum then I am glad to see the board moderators maintaining control. We have enough BS to deal with in our daily work and this sailboat forum is one of the few places that I can visit and feel welcome, gain knowledge, laugh at/with the members and overall enjoyment.

I agree with all of the prior posts and say thank you again Cathy.

Now lets get on with the sailing.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Dixon Hemphill

Chris's article in Sail

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

We have had guests visiting for several days otherwise I would have commented earlier as soon as I heard about the cessation of this thread. I, like most others, back Cathy's decision 100 % . My only concern is that my comments in praise of my sailing friend, Chris Kreitlein, that had nothing to do with the rather foolish comments to which Cathy objected will never be read by him as well as some other readers.

Chris is now in Israel for two weeks where he has taken his daughter on her first overseas sight-seeing trip. Guess I'll have to send an email to Chris when he gets home and try to reconstruct my comments and my congratulations for an article well written.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Great article

Post by Joe Myerson »

My copy of Sail just arrived today.
Chris's article is a great read!
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627