furling systems for a typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jkeleher
GROTON LONG POINT, CT
"TRIPLE E"

furling systems for a typhoon

Post by jkeleher »

I'm interested in putting a jib furler on my 18.5' cape dory typhoon
suggestions :?:
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

If you search the archives you will find several threads extensively discussing the pros and cons of furlers for Ty Weekenders. When I bought my Ty Weekender the rigger strongly recommended either Harken or Schaefer. When I suggested CDI he said he would not install a CDI furler. A local sail loft also said they would not make a furler sail for a CDI furler.

The local racing club I go to has a fleet of 7 Harbor 20s all with CDI furlers. The owner of the fleet does not like CDI furlers but they all seem to work well and they get (and take) a LOT of abuse.

Many on this board have a CDI furler and have favorably commented on them. I think it is probably personal preferences.

So far, I have resisted the temptation to install a furler. I have a 130-135 Genoa (hank on) and a 100 working jib (hank on). Based on anticipated conditions, I rig one or the other.

Yesterday I was practicing departing and returning to my very, very crowded and packed mooring field under sail alone. I can see the benefits of a jib furler for this purpose, especially on returning to the mooring ball.

Again, I recommend searching the archives for "furler", "jib furler", "CDI furler", etc. There are several extensive discussions.

P.S. Miraculously, I did not hit any other sailboats in the mooring field. I came dangerously close once ( :oops: ) but did not touch.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
kerlandsen

Profurl

Post by kerlandsen »

I do have a profulr furler I am about to put on ebay. It is probably too large for your boat.

It is an R25, and had a pin to pin headstay length of 31.45'.
The combined foil lengths come to 29.25". It had a 1/4" diameter wire inside it, it could probably accomodate a smaller wire.

Again, it is probably too large for you Typhoon. I did just update to a Mark IV Harken and it is beautiful.

Kyle
Kemah

Roller furler

Post by Kemah »

After research, I had a Harken OOAL roller furler installed on my 22 foot CD for use with my 135 genoa. (I may also have my 110 converted for the furler someday.) I'm very satisfied with the design and performance of the unit. It's made my sailing much easier, both in reefing/"unreefing" with changing wind speed, and in furling quickly on the way to the mooring. You can see the furler installation manual online; search for Harken OOAL. You'll have to check to see if this furler fits the forestay length and wire diameter of the Typhoon. I think West Marine, Mauri Pro Sailing, and Defender websites have fairly good descriptions of the furler, by the way.
Hymodyne

Post by Hymodyne »

I'm using a schafer profurl cf500 snapfurl system on our cd22, with only minor issues.

hym
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

Here's a thread back at the time we made our decision. We still love our CDI furler and of course FX Sails has been superb in their quality of sails and customer service.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... highlight=

Good Luck[/url]
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC