Restoring 18.5 typhoon wekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

alsaleen
Racine, Wi

Restoring 18.5 typhoon wekender

Post by alsaleen »

hi i have purchased y first boat "18.5 typhoon weekender" and i am looking for new sails, also i am just basically here for help, advice as this is my first boat and restoration. i plan oon stripping the bottom paint to the gel coat and then putting 3 coats of primer on should i sand the primer with 2000 sand paper before final bottom paint or does this not matter? basicallly if you have any advice i am open to any ideas thanks. andrew
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Restoring 18.5 typhoon wekender

Post by Oswego John »

[quote="alsaleen"] i plan oon stripping the bottom paint to the gel coat and then putting 3 coats of primer on should i sand the primer with 2000 sand paper before final bottom paint or does this not matter?

Alsaleen,

If you use 2,000 sandpaper, it would be polished so that you could see your face reflected in the finished prime coat. :D (Just kidding)

Did you mean 200 grit sandpaper? I like to rough the surface up a bit with light sanding with 80 or 100 grit paper. It is my belief that the under coat, when roughed up a bit, provides better "tooth" for the top or finish coat to better adhere to it.

Git sailin'
O J
alsaleen
Racine, Wi

Post by alsaleen »

i did mean 200 grit. i am also wondering if anyone knows someone who has some used sails laying around, i bought my ty for $200 it needs new bottom paint a good cleaning and buffing , and the most important - sails. was this a good purchase? also i am missing a portlight, any ideas on how to rig something to look decent i am leaving for college next year and this is a low cost restoration "if there is such a thing".
Oswego John

$200.00 Ty?????????????????????

Post by Oswego John »

Alsaleen,

I'll show you what kind of an apple I am. I'll offer you $250.00 cash for your Ty, sight unseen. What a chance of a lifetime to make a fast $50.00 in a heartbeat. What's that? You say that you are holding out for $275.00? Okay, you've got me over a barrel. $275.00 it is.

And then I woke up.

Pinch me. Am I reading you correctly? You bought a Ty W/E for 200 bucks? You, sir, did excellent. I don't care what shape the boat is in, you did super. As time goes by, you will realize how well you did with the purchase. The sails? Fawgeddaboutit.

BTW, if you sell it, I get first dibs on it. If you really twist my arm, I might go as high as $300.00.

Between you, me and the lamppost, I've been selling fixed up Tys starting at $2,500.00 and upwards to almost double that figure. You hit the mother lode.

Okay, $325.00 :D
Congratulations on your pocket yacht,
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on May 7th, '07, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Portlight

Post by bhartley »

I have a spare original plastic portlight if you want it. It needs a bit of cleaning up, but it will work just fine.

Send me a PM if you want it for the cost of postage.

Bly
Last edited by bhartley on May 8th, '07, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
bill2

Re: $200.00 Ty?????????????????????

Post by bill2 »

Oswego John wrote:Alsaleen,
You hit the mother lode.

. . .

Okay, $325.00 :D
Congratulations on your pocket yacht,
O J
Alsaleen

No disrespect meant to OJ - but I'll go $326 !

Great boat - at an unreal price !

Good luck

Bill

OJ - no offense meant
:wink:
Oswego John

NOT SO FAST

Post by Oswego John »

bill2,

I've got $350.00 burning a hole in my jeans pocket, and I'm prepared to go *ALL THE WAY.*

O J
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

I can't miss out

Post by s.v. LaVida »

MMMMMMMMMMMmm,

Perhaps I need a mate for my TY

I'll go 326.89.

Rit
bill2

$349

Post by bill2 »

Alsaleen,

Apparently OJ is wanting to start his own northern CD fleet. Well he's got me -

but

I'll go $349 + $2 ( I don't think his jeans can hold more than $350 )

We'll keep this to ourselves so you can turn a quick profit and you can PM me with delivery options . . . :wink:

Good Luck

OJ - If you're set on this one, we could end this by partnering - six months each. Jan-June and July-Dec - probably save us from starting a bidding war with the whole CD Board :idea:
Tynaje
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender(a friend suggested naming the boat DNR) no name, Westerly Rhode Island

Post by Tynaje »

As these guys babble back and forth about foolishly about the great price you paid I will ask the MOST important question...........THEN get to helping you...
ALSALEEN, hmmm, Does the name have anything to do with Saleen cars? Now THAT is more interesting than the bidding war when you have asked for advice.
I suggest you add that you travelled FAR and WIDE looking at every boat ever listed for sale, passing on great boats in order to keep the "quest" going................That might get you a real response, nothing worse than coming to check if you got the response you were looking for only to find it turned into a joke, where a never ending quest is taken on head first with great interest.
If you sand with 220 or greater than 150, it may allow the bottom paint to flake off. Also check to be certain the paint is compatable with the prime you use. Carefully read the manufacturers info on the can. Call them if you have questions, tech guys are great sources of info. Go to thier websites as well.

Peter Ross:
Etchell's 22
Evelyn 25
Bertram 25
Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender
'66 Mustang Convertible
(Ohlson 38)
alsaleen
Racine, Wi

Post by alsaleen »

yes it refers to saleen mustangs. thanks for the offers but id like to enjoy working on and eventually sailing this ty. so it sounds like 80 gritt also i have an old 9 horse outboard laying around and i was just going to use that as my engine, i will be sailing the boat on lake michigan so some sort of motor will be needes just in case, would this 9hp be too large, its free and thats why id ike to use it.
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

alsaleen wrote: i have an old 9 horse outboard laying around and i was just going to use that as my engine, i will be sailing the boat on lake michigan so some sort of motor will be needes just in case, would this 9hp be too large, its free and thats why id ike to use it.
Andrew,

"Would this 9 HP engine be TOO large?"

Ask 5 people on this board that question and you could very well get 7 different answers. So, here's my take on the subject.

A 9 HP outboard engine on a Ty is large, but not TOO large. But if the price is right, a 9 HP engine is just perfect for YOU.

You don't need 9 horses to push the Ty. From what I understand, many owners have an engine half that size, even one third the size of a 9 HP.

It's the extra weight of a large engine hanging on your transom that many owners will find fault with. A nine HP engine will not push your boat twice as fast as a 4 1/2 HP motor or three times faster than a three HP motor. When buying a new motor, a three or four HP motor will cost much less than a nine HP motor and weigh in at much less weight. They most likely use less fuel/mile, too.

I advise you not to open the 9 HP motor to full throttle . Maybe at a future time, you can do some horse trading for a smaller motor. Just a thought.

My 2¢
O J
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Smaller engines

Post by RIKanaka »

Oswego John wrote:From what I understand, many owners have an engine half that size, even one third the size of a 9 HP.
Or in my case, with a 2 hp Honda, less than one quarter the size of the niner. I'm thinking of trying out an older 1.75hp Tanaka this year, just for kicks.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Dick Villamil

ty weekender

Post by Dick Villamil »

I will trade you a set of original Typhoon sails for the weekender! I too bought a wreck of a 1976 weekender and turned it into a showpiece that gets accolades wherever I sail her. I have an older 4hp Mariner outboard and it is more than enough. When ou put too much weight on the stern she sits low in the stern and water might come into the cockpit from the scuppers. If you are interested in a main and possibly a working jib I have them. Would rather part with the main than the jib because I still use the jib when the wind pipes up after removing the roller furling 110 jib. $150 plus shippping for the main
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

9 hp outboard on a Ty

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

No, no, no, no, no. More than 40 lbs will set you down in the stern. When you get to 9 hp you are probably 55 or 60 lbs. This will ensure that any water coming in the cockpit from the low side drain will fill in around your feet and you and all crew will hate it. You will be happier with one too small than one too large.
Serge