Loran C

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dukie58@aol.com

Loran C

Post by dukie58@aol.com »

Does anyone know if Loran C is still functional in the northeast US?
My receiver is not getting any signal. Suspect antenna but not sure if the signal is still being sent out.
Thanks
Jack
bottomscraper

Loran C

Post by bottomscraper »

This web site indicates it is still active.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/loran/Default.htm
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
rtbates

Loran?

Post by rtbates »

In all due respect surely you aren't intending on using Loran to navigate a vessel you care about? For 8 years I was a factory rep and field Engr for Tracor's Loran and SatNav line of navigational equipment. Loran WAS OK back when it was the only wide ranging nav system. Don't get me started on all the anomilies that effect the Loran signal. With today's cheap GPS receivers, using Loran to navigate is a bit like using a a slide rule and just about as in-accurate.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
dukie58@aol.com

Loran C

Post by dukie58@aol.com »

Randy,
My loran unit is used as a back-up to Garmin GPS unit with chart chip.
Thanks for the reply and concern
Jack
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

For the paranoid--another advantage to Loran

Post by Joe Myerson »

Like Jack, I use my Loran as a backup to my Garmin GPS. But I recently read something very interesting (wish I could remember where, but I'm showing my age), that might explain why the government has yet to pull the plug on Loran altogether.

It's apparently very easy for sophisticated troublemakers to make a device that can jam GPS signals, but knocking out Loran would require destroying the individual sending stations.

If this information is accurate, Loran is likely to be around longer than originally predicted.

Also, even though there are all sorts of anomalies in the signal, guys in the commercial fishing business tell me that they still love Loran—it will get them back to precisely the same spot every time, they claim.

Just my two cents' (or less) worth on yesterday's technology.

--Joe Myerson
arenius

Not only alive but well......

Post by arenius »

Homeland security and the CG are looking at combining a GPS and loran into a single unit. See the new Si-Tex unit at their web site. Under home land security the stations are getting new transmitters, etc. Cannot rely on a single system, each has its weakness and strengths. Many are finding the loran to be up and running during weather which knocks out GPS, thus they are carrying both on board. "Old" loran units are "hot", "hot", "hot"....shh...don't tell any one.....they are quite reasonable on EBay compared to GPS for a fixed station units and really nice when tied to an old laptop with free nav :wink: software from the web like Seaclear II.....Dana
arenius

Loran Article, 2004

Post by arenius »

http://www.fraudsandscams.com/Offshore/Loran/Loran.htm

An interesting article with another view of loran today...dana
Bill Michne

Slide rules?

Post by Bill Michne »

Randy:

With all due respect, why do you still use wind to power your boat? There are no fail safe high tech systems, period. That's why there are redundant systems on aircraft. GPS is great for telling you where you are on the surface, but a chart plotter is only as good as the chart it is based on, and we all know the problems there. I support Loran C as a backup system, and notwithstanding its inaccuracies, it is still quite likely to get me where I want to go.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40