CD30c suitable for blue water cruising?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Julian

My two penneth worth

Post by Julian »

We just bought a CD30c for the very purpose of moving on board and sailing where ever. We spent a couple of years researching, talking, looking etc. We were after an Alberg 30, being plentiful in Ontario and then came across a CD30. Same designer same size, much nicer inside and with a rig I wanted. There are some things we will change before venturing off to the Seven Seas but basically these are very good boats. A great movie for those interested or thinking about a bluewater adventure is "Around the World with Jean du Sud" by Yves Gelinas. If you egt the DVD it's in English and French.

Julian
blueridgebuilder

Post by blueridgebuilder »

Thanks Julian.

For long term cruising you think there is enough storage space and weight capacity for for two people on your CD30?

Do you have a Mark I or Mark II CD30?

Thanks, John
Russell

Post by Russell »

Personally I think a CD30 would be fine for 2 people, if its the right 2 people. The boat is certainly up to the task of going just about anywhere you can imagine (if well maintained). If you both think you can live in such tight quarters without killing each other, and remain comfortable, then its big enough for you, its a highly personal choice. As for storage space, this again comes down to the individual. The CD is a moderate displacement full keeled boat, it can handle the weight (to a degree), my CD36 has more then 3000 lbs of gear, probably more and still performs admirably in lighter winds, I wouldnt worry about performance issues. As for enough space for all your gear, it depends on how you pack. I single hand a CD36 and I am always struggling to find more storage space. But I know people on boats over 40' with the same problem. It comes down to: when you liveaboard and cruise, you manage to fill your space, reguardless of how much you have. A bigger boat my opt for bicycles and such that the smaller one will pass on. More storage means you will collect and keep more things, old sails, sails you rarely use, more then 1 set of fenders, etc. On a 30' boat with two people, you can do it but you will be much more minimal then most.

As Greg pointed out, on a CD36 he finds he is ussually the smallest boat around among the liveaboard cruisers, I find the same thing. Though the occational boat smaller then me does occur, its the exception, 40'+ tends to be the rule.

You do mention budgets, I would like to say that I wouldnt consider a CD a budget boat. While its not top of the line brand new boat, it is an older upper end boat and it holds its price well. You could get similarly well constructed and seaworthy boats for less and perhaps get yourself a bit more room in the process, but you may give up the nice interior teak joinery and gorgous lines.

An interesting and similar boat to look at is the Alberg 29, a later design of Albergs, not many made. But interior wise it is much larger then the CD30, being a more modern design. But they are rare and price can be high, but also can be reasonable. I would consider it a great alternative in the same size range to a CD30 or Alberg 30 or similar boats, if you have a little extra to spend. While I adore CDs and am glad I made my choice, since you are planning on some pretty serious extended cruising, I would really encourage you to shop around and look at everything you can.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Julian

Interesting!

Post by Julian »

There is a North American obsession with size!! I enjoy this enormously having moved to Canada, the World's second largest country, 15 years ago from England, one of the worlds smaller countries. I enjoy the big car, wide roads and parking lots that are the size of small European towns. However, big is not always best. I may be considered strange but I think the CD30 is perfect for two people and here's why;

It's not so big that you have to spend weeks cleaning and painting, just days.
You can get away without an engine if you wish, many have in boats this size.
Sails are smaller and more manageable.
Sails, lines and other fittings are also cheaper because they are smaller.
You can lean it on a seawall and scrub the bottom.
Etc Etc Etc.

Many of the virtues of small boats are extolled in books by The Pardeys and others. But the one fact that sold me on size more than anything else is that people who go out and sail long term have smaller boats rather than bigger ones.

Now it is all a matter of choice. We like a simple life, we don't want refrigeration, shore power, TV or weather fax etc. We like camping by motorbike or backpack using a minimalistic approach. But that's not for everyone. It comes down with what are you prepared to scarifice to gain which benefits. And how long with your budget last!?
John Nebilak

I think this boat could do it

Post by John Nebilak »

John
chase

CD 30 cruising

Post by chase »

John,

You ought to be able to get a great CD 30 for the money you listed. I paid much less and got a boat with a recent re-power and is structurally sound with great sails. If you are comfortable with the size of the 30. the 28 may not make much difference. There are two listed right now, one in Havelock the other Oriental. Both look like great boats that can be had around the 20k mark. Then make your necessary mods or upgrades. You could have a great boat. There are other 30's for sale not too far away and a 31 too -- just look at them all and imagine yourself in it.

I'd really think about that 28 with tiller steering. I think I could handle sheets and get to the mast much easier with tiller steering, but I manage fine with the wheel. I'm just speculating -- I've not sailed one with a tiller

I have not done any bluewater trips with mine but have coastal cruised quite a bit since I got it a year or so ago. I have a lot of confidence in my boat; with this or that modified I would take it on long passages. It's a great boat. Properly outfitted and maintained it'll do you fine. Seamanship will make the difference.

Good luck,

Chase
Ned_Mellon

Cruising on a really tight budget

Post by Ned_Mellon »

I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone, but check out what a pair of very intrepid and determined cruisers can accomplish when they set their minds to it. The size of your boat need not be a hindrance.

Check out Dave and Mindy Bolduc's web Microcruising site.
http://www.microcruising.com/
Julian

WOW microcruising

Post by Julian »

Now that's some compact boat. S and I spent two weeks sailing in the North Channel (Lake Huron) a couple of summers ago in our Siren 17. We camped on sandy beaches and only spent one night one board. We found the packing logistics quite tricky, more so than the canoe trip we made to the same area this summer. Even with careful planning we still had a pile of stuff on deck the night we slept on board. Now we did take some luxury items and we did return with quite a bit of food left so we could have paired it down some more. While we were there we met a lady who spends from June to late Sept sailing the North Channel in her Seaward Fox 17. She can't afford the marina fees so she goes in about once every two weeks to get food and have a hot shower.
Dalton

Alberg35

Post by Dalton »

I'd add the pearson built Alberg 35 to your search list.
Julian

List of boats we considered

Post by Julian »

Here's a list of boats that we considered. They fall into two catagories, ones where we would leave the engine in, ones where we could do without.

Alberg 30 / CD30
Triton 28 / CD28
Bristol Channel Cutter

Alberg 35
Allied Seabreeze and Seawind
Westsail 32

Too big for us but reasonably priced
Cabo Rico Tiberon 36?
Island Trader 38

There were many factors in making these choices. We were highly influenced by John Vigor and the Pardey's. Budget and wanting to be able to sail for 20 years with the minimum amount of time on shore working were also huge factors swaying us.

Julian

Julian
blueridgebuilder

Post by blueridgebuilder »

Thanks for all the helpful information.

John
rtbates

Size is relative

Post by rtbates »

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

CD28 is adequate

Post by Sailing Soldier »

There is a CD 28 by the name of "Fenix" in the South Pacific right now. The Capt seems pleased with his CD28.

I am also a CD28 owner. I would take it anywhere.

Capt John
CD 28 #177
"Liberty"
RI
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

A Cruising Book and Another Boat Possibility

Post by George Shaunfield »

John,

Sounds like you are well along in planning for cruising. Still, a book that might be helpful is "The Cruising Life - A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager" by Jim Trefethen. He speaks a lot about building the cruising kitty and other preparation, and says little about choosing a specific boat. In fact, he recommends postponing the purchase. Well worth the read.

Another boat you could look into is a Westsail 28 - little sister to the Westsail 32. The 28 is about half the price of the 32, but certainly more than half the boat. (Dare I admit that I just acquired one - full compliment of sails, Monitor windvane, Fatty Knees dingy, chain rode, bronze windlass, etc.)

Enough said,
George
Clay Stalker

Great Book!

Post by Clay Stalker »

George:

The book you mention is one of the best I have ever read for folks contemplating the cruising life....or even extensive sailing. It is very practical, well-written, and just plain enjoyable to read. I got it for a gift, and plan to start reading it again. As for your Westsail 28, congrats on a rugged little boat that will take you far and wide if you wish.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH