How do you remove POLY GLOW

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Post by Les Bloom »

Put POLY GLOW on Spring of 2005. The stuff has been crazing and peeling off. I hate it and I want to remove it completely the fall afteri pull her out. Anyone else had the same problem with this in the northeast . How do you get the junk off ??
Les Bloom
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Poli Prep

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The company that makes Poli Glow also makes the remover. It's call Poli Prep.

CLICK HERE for Poli Glow Products:

CLICK HERE for the Practical Sailor article regarding fiberglass hull restorers. It's reproduced here by MyBoatStore.com but it is the same as what appeared in the April 1999 issue.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Les:

I like the stuff, and have used it every other season or so for the past several years. ZEP Purple Cleaner (Home Depot) or any acidic cleaner will take it off, as well as the stuff that the Poli Glow folks sell.

Was it hot and sunny the day you put it on? I usually do it on a warm, but not too hot day, and early or late in the day to avoid bright direct sun. On my CD27, I usually get two full applications of 3-4 coats from a bottle, and two to three seasons from an application. I prep with Purple cleaner and Soft Scrub, not Poli Prep.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Tod Mills

windex?

Post by Tod Mills »

You might give Windex or similar ammonia-based cleaner a try if there is nothing about your hull that would be affected by it.

It sounds like the hull wasn't thoroughly prepped; either chalky or waxy. I've use the stuff for a few years now and have never had a problem such as you describe. I'm very happy with the product.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Michael Ellis

Post by Michael Ellis »

I used Poli Glow once and tried various methods of trying to remove it. The irony is it seemed to come off where the fenders rubbed, but I couldn't get it off with the Poly Glow stripper, or by using a buffing compound. I was told the only good way to remove it was using an industrial floor wax remover. I sold the boat before trying that.

Mike Ellis
Bill Goldsmith

Flush with copious amounts of water

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

In using the Poli-Prep or other ammonia-based cleanser, the instructions are very clear that you should scrub a manageable area with the cleanser and *immediately* flush with a lot of water from a hose. Probably have to repeat to get it all. Otherwise the cleanser dries up and leaves the Poli-glow on the surface.
rtbates

application method

Post by rtbates »

I've bought BUT have not used the stuff, PLOY GLOW myself. I have read the instructions and it states very clearly to use the prep PRIOR to and in order to remove POLY GLOW. Since you seem to have missed that tid bit I'm wondering if your problems might be the result of NOT using the prep prior to application of POLY GLOW.

I sure don't want the problems you're having so I'd appreciate knowing how you applied it.

Thanks
Randy 25D Seraph #161