Self-tailing winches on a Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ramanning
"Second Wind", Cheboygan, MI.

Self-tailing winches on a Typhoon?

Post by ramanning »

Does anyone have self-tailing winches on their Typhoon, or researched the possibility of installing them?

I do a lot of solo sailing on my Typhoon and would like to free up my hands more, and I think one way would be to have self-tailing winches. I know many of you think the winches on a Typhoon are not really useful in the first place because of the small headsail, but on my 150 genoa, and I am considering adding a 180, I prefer the sheets run to the winches for a better setting of the headsail.

The cost is significant (some $400 + -) and I am just wondering if anyone has experienced the use of such winches on their Typhoon, and would be willing to share that with me. I have used such winches on larger boats and found them very useful in solo or short handed sailing.
R. A. Manning
Jack & Jo Chamberlain

Winchers

Post by Jack & Jo Chamberlain »

My husband and I sailed our Typhoon for 20 years. We had blue rubber add on self tailing devices which I believe were called Winchers. They were really quite satisfactory. I'm not sure they are still available, but would recommend you try to find them before investing in expensive self-tailing winches. Hope this helps, Jo Chamberlain
Jack & Jo Chamberlain
mahalocd36

Re: Winchers

Post by mahalocd36 »

Jack & Jo Chamberlain wrote:My husband and I sailed our Typhoon for 20 years. We had blue rubber add on self tailing devices which I believe were called Winchers. They were really quite satisfactory. I'm not sure they are still available, but would recommend you try to find them before investing in expensive self-tailing winches. Hope this helps, Jo Chamberlain
We used these too on our previous 23' boat. I think we paid about $15-20 for them but that was a while ago. Definitely worth it. Boat US has them here:

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ctId=72183

but you can probably find them cheaper.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
ramanning
"Second Wind", Cheboygan, MI.

Self-tailing winches on a Typhoon

Post by ramanning »

Thank you for your replies.
I have been searching for those "Winchers" for years! If they work you have saved me and hopefully many other sailors hundreds of dollars!
Thank you again for your help! :)
R. A. Manning
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Winchers

Post by Joe Myerson »

My boat came with a pair of Winchers, and they are a terrific substitute for investing in self-tailing winches, especially on smaller boats.

One little tip: The P.O. also left me two bottles of kids' bubble-blowing liquid. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were for, until I tried to stretch the Winchers over the heads of my winches.

I just couldn't make the darn things slip over the winchs. Then I remembered the bubble-blowing liquid. It was the perfect lubricant.

Keep it in mind if you get a pair of these rubber gadgets.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rtbates

winchers vs real self tailers IMHO

Post by rtbates »

I have used winchers on two of my previous boats. Seraph came with them. I finally bite the big bullet and bought Andersen 12STs, self tailers for Seraph. There is no comparison when it comes to how well each one does it's job. I also single hand alot and the self tailers were one of the best things I've put on Seraph bar none. Winchers, while they sort of self tail, will lose grip very easily if the load on the line goes slack like in a puff that luffs the headsail.
I'd suggest you try and get a sail on a boat with self tailers and one with winchers and see what you think.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Tod Mills

Randy, how do you...

Post by Tod Mills »

like your Andersen's? I'm thinking I'll outfit my project boat with them but wasn't real sure what size to get. Do you find you have plenty of power with the 12 ST's for singlehanded winching with a larger headsail? I think my project boat emphasizes the fore triangle a bit more (unfortunately. it was a last minute design change to suit the rules of the day rather than just good design sense) than the 25D even though they are pretty similar lengths/displacements.

Thanks,
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
rtbates

Tod

Post by rtbates »

The Andersens are real jewels. They perform wonderfully and are bullet proof. The internal design has very few parts. They're all bronze. One of my best changes to Seraph.
Randy 25D Seraph #161