Cape Dory 25 Wisker Pole Attachment

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

cpurdum

Cape Dory 25 Wisker Pole Attachment

Post by cpurdum »

I bought a 1978 Cape Dory 25 last year. Part of the gear included a wisker pole, but I don't see where to attach it on the mast. There is no hardware that I can see for this purpose. Can anyone tell me what to look for and or what hardware I need to install for this purpose? Thanks.
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Post by John D. »

There should be a fairly heavy padeye on the front of the mast, about 3' to 4' above the cabin top. Here is the page in the forespar catalog (no picture):

http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/0 ... 2006.shtml
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

eye for whisker pole

Post by greg phillips »

If you have to buy a fitting for the whisker pole you might want to consider one that is not fixed. On my CD25 the attachment eye was on a track that allowed an up or down adjustment of about 2 or 3 feet. Depending on the cut of your headsail the optimum height of the eye could vary. Good luck.

Greg Phillips
tartansailor

Attachment

Post by tartansailor »

What you need is a 4' track a "Spinnaker Pole Slider" which is used for whisker poles, and a bottom stop, to prevent the slider from falling overboard. The slider is a car with a ring.
Now my CD 25 came with a 3/4" track, but try as I may I cannot find a 3/4" slider. Buy a 1" track and slider, they are much more popular and available.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Pierre Gremaud
Location: CD 25 #146, Pin-Up and Sabre 36, Grayce, Belhaven, NC

3/4" slider

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Dick,

Schaefer stills sells 3/4" slider (part #72-46). You can get those directly from them or for instance here http://www.layline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=S7246

Pierre

CD25, #146
tartansailor

Spinnaker Slide Car

Post by tartansailor »

Thanks Pierre,
I'm fine for jib sheet cars, just need one for a spinnaker pole, difference being 90° orientation of the ring.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Pierre Gremaud
Location: CD 25 #146, Pin-Up and Sabre 36, Grayce, Belhaven, NC

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Oops, good point :-) I'll read the whole message next time...

The Rigrite site claims they have spin cars for 3/4" t-tracks. This is also a Schaefer part, but I cannot find it on the Schaefer site. So, I dont know...

Those 3/4 tracks are a pain in the neck.

Pierre