Prop Size ( Dia, Pitch and # of Blades) for CD33s & 330s

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Kozlowski

Prop Size ( Dia, Pitch and # of Blades) for CD33s & 330s

Post by Neil Kozlowski »

If you have a CD33 or CD330 with a 3000 RPM 24/25HP engine, and you are using a fixed blade propeller, please tell me what size prop you are using AND if you happy with it.

Thanks
Neil Kozlowski
Ariel CD330 #146
Jim Evans

CD33 Prop Size

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi Neil,

I'm using a 14X10 on my 33, powered by a Yanmar 3GM30F. I'm cruising at 2600 rpm, with a 2.3:1 gearbox. I'm very happy with the configuration.

At the moment, I'm on the hard in Deale, working on changing my cutlass bearing. Lots of fun!

Jim
Jim Evans
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Neil,
We should have spoken @ Groundhog Day. RESPITE started out w/ a 2 blade 14x10. When I opted for a third blade, conventional wisdom called for 14x8 (keep the diameter & drop 2" off the pitch), but the prop shop owner--knowledgeable old timer--suggested that my two blade (a Columbia) was high chord("heavy chord"??) and a drop of only 1" might be possible.

His rule of thumb was a diesel engine in forward gear should be able to attain a speed within 100 rpm of the no load speed. I found the 3 blade 14x9 is a bit too much for the Universal M-30 to push (i.e. cannot attain high enough rpm in gear, and she starts to run hotter than I like).

I'm trying to find a prop shop that can drop the pitch the second inch. Also RESPITE'S M-30 was one of those with the 2 inch heat exchanger. I bought Ed Haley's 3 inch exchanger, which I will install after launch. That should solve the warm running, but unforunately won't add a few hundred rpm.

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (home of PROPer sailors), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Jim Evans

And I'm Using a 3 blade prop

Post by Jim Evans »

Neil - I forgot to tell you I'm using a 3 blade prop; a 14X10.

Jim
Jim Evans
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Neil, Bandolera II has a Michigan prop 14 RH 13 wo 12 (right turning) three blade. My Universal Model 30 #5424 cruises happily at 2200 rpm's without overheating and will go up to 2500 rpm's but if I stay for too long at the higher speeds, it will tend to get hot. But then I reduce speed somewhat -back to the 20's- and the engine immediately cools off. And that is still with my old 2" heat exchanger.

I had tried to buy Ed Haley's 3" heat exchanger, but I was pre-empted by M.Bober :cry:

Over all, my 3 blade prop works very well.
Zeida
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We have a Campbell Sailor 14 x 10, the Universal 5424 with the 2" heat exchanger, and we have the overheating at high rpms mentioned above. Otherwise, we're very happy with it.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Neil Kozlowski

Thank You all for the inputs

Post by Neil Kozlowski »

Thanks all for the input. I'm using a 14 Dia by 10 Pitch, 3 blade michigan wheel prop. I was having a few problems so I wanted to see what the fleet was using to see if my prop was in the ball park. I have concluded it is! Thanks again.
Neil Kozlowski
Ariel CD330 #146