Marine Stereo

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ralph Rayner

Marine Stereo

Post by Ralph Rayner »

I have a Cape Dory31. I am interested in a stereo system that would include an amplifier that would work off the DC marine battery, 2-3 small speakers and the Apple I :) -Pod system. This would get rid of the need for CDs and the CD player. Is such a system avaliable? The system would be in the main cabin which isn't that big. Any thoughts?
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

There was a rencent thread on this topic with a variety of suggestions. Do a search on Ipod or the use the link: http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... light=ipod
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Greg

iPod

Post by Greg »

You might try a system that I learned about from The Hull Truth web site (primarily a power boat site- but dont run away yet!) A simple amplifier of whatever power you want to power up your speakers. The iPod connceted to it via a pig tailed set of RCA cables plugged into the iPod & amp. For detailed info you might go to thehulltruth.com and the electronics forum , lots of talk about stereo/iPod setups
Bets,
Greg
Cape Dory 33 PY
'Katey Wren'
MikeRPSU
"Orion"
Pearson 31
Manitowoc, WI

Consider an MP3 Receiver

Post by MikeRPSU »

the Ipod setup can be expensive. A more tolerable solution might be to make sure your receiver can play MP3 disks. If you don't mind the compression (my ears can't tell the difference on a boat anyway) it will allow you to combine up to 10 CDs onto one.

Unless you already own an Ipod....

As for the solution I chose, I went with a Sony CDXF50M w/ XM Radio input and a pair of Dual 4 1/2 in speakers. Between XM Radio and the MP3 ability, I don't plan to have many CD's on board.

Good luck.
Mike