Teak Replacement on CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mark abramski

Post by mark abramski »

I built a new dorade box for our '27 this summer and used white oak w/cetol marine light. It finished up lighter than teak (not as orange) and as such, I think it looks better.

White oak is one of the top choices for building wooden boats due to it's rot resistance. If I ever have to replace any more of the teak, it's white oak for me.

MA
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

White Oak

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Mark,

Hope you had a great summer. The good season is now upon us, late summer and fall sailing. Remember, like squirrels gathering nuts in the fall, you have to get a lot of sailing in to tide you over the winter.

I have to agree with you, white oak is excellent wood for boats. I am just wondering if you have tested any scraps of oak with stains to similate the darker shades of mahogany or teak. Not that it matters, your CD 27 is beautiful and in great shape as it is.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Rperlot

Stained Oak

Post by Rperlot »

I just came back from The Wooden Boat Show at Port Townsend, WA tonight. I saw a boat that was refurbished by a local community college class. It looked beautiful. The toe rail was Mahogany. I got close and noticed the Mahogany toe rail was bordered by a half-round rub rail that was White Oak stained Mahogany. A perfect match. You could only tell from the grain that it was White Oak.

The problem with staining is that if you get damage, rub through the finish, you'll take off the stain. Then you have a bright beige spot on an otherwise colored piece of wood.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

I hope this does not offend any traditionalist sensitivities, but when it comes time to replace bright work on my CD 25, I am going with starboard (high density polyethylene). Fasten it on and forget it!.
Dick
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

A few years back I replaced my bowsprit with quartersawn white oak.There is a reason most threshholds for exterior door frames where made with this material,tough water resistant stuff.Stained with a teak oil stain and 5-6 coats of Armada you can't tell it from from the real Teak.Black Locust is another rot resistant wood we have in the northeast.
I read an article somewhere about a guy who used resawn Trex to redeck a sailboat.Probably not the best looking but kind off practical in a in a cost effective way. RM
________
LOLOL