PORT HOLES - RESEALING?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MICHAEL AND NANCY

PORT HOLES - RESEALING?

Post by MICHAEL AND NANCY »

WE HAVE A CD 28 FB - ANY THOUGHTS ON RESEALING THE PORT HOLE WINDOWS? Tips or comments?
Ron Legan

Port Light Sealant

Post by Ron Legan »

I have had excellent results using AutoWindshield Silicon sealant for leaks. I found out about this product from THIS board and tried it on a small leak several years ago. Leak fixed with just one try.

The product is sold in auto-part stores and hardware. It is a fluid silicon and flows into the area to be sealed. It is removable and can be used other places around the boat.

I first clean the area and rim around the port with solvent, remove any loose stuff. I then apply a small amount of WD 40 and spread with my finger (if necessary). then I apply (squeeze) a bead if the sealant around the rim, I then apply some WD 40 to my finger and smooth (again if necessary). My results were excellent. The seal is almost invisible and looked clean and neat. I have shown others this method and ALL agree it is worth a try first before pulling the port and rebedding.

Last time I talked about this method of repair someone brought up the fact silicon can cause problems if you need to paint or gel-coat over or near the area treated. True, but I always prep very well before I try any type of repair and to date it has not been a issue (for me) . And again we are talking a small bead of sealant.

The sealant cost a few dollars and I always keep a tube in the boat, it usually comes in handy for something.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Port Light Sealant

Post by Carter Brey »

Ron, is this the same as Permatex windshield sealant?

Thanks,
CB
ron legan

Post by ron legan »

Yes, I believe so, I do not have the tube in front, but it is a small tube and cost about $3.50. it is clear/ slightly cloudy, but dries clear.

I have used this product on just about every seam on the boat. Really. I am not saying this takes the place of the true fitting sealers, but as a back-up, why not.

Last year while cruising in Canada, I moored next to a large motorcruiser that had large windows and the owner was trying to seal a leak, he had stuff all over the window and when asked.. said this was a problem do to flexing of the top-sides and the large amount of glass/ frame. I gave him the same advice and a left over tube. He later wrote me an E-mail and said how well the sealer fixed the leak.

Try a practice seam if you can. It does work better when used with the WD 40. I worried the WD 40 would cause the sealer not to stick, but this does not seem to matter.

Again I am sure you have the right stuff. If it will seal a car windshields??

Good luck.