Leoma Santa Cruz Island IIi

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma Santa Cruz Island IIi

Post by JD-MDR »

Prisoner Harbor to Fry’s harbor
Arrived at Prisoners late afternoon. Slept well and in the morn kayaked to shore for a hike to Pelican Bay
IMG_1592.jpeg
This is the main station for the island. There are corrals for the livestock but no longer in use. The ranchers filled the wetlands but now its all restored natural
I started up the trail. There is much more vegetation here than back west. The park residence is in canyon.
IMG_1593.jpeg

The trail is really well maintained. Didn't see a single piece of litter both directions. I noticed some small pine trees. I heard they are called Bishop pines
IMG_1596.jpeg
Pelican bay is said to be the favorite spot.
IMG_1601.jpeg
I disagree. I think Scorpions is way better. It was s 2 mile hike each way and after lunch I sailed up to Fry’s Harbor. Frys is another of my favorites. You can always get to shore and there is a trail up the canyon which has a stream Also there is a trail up the ridge to Diablo Mountain. I think it’s the highest on the island. There are ruins of a quarry that was used to supply rock for breakwaters around Santa Barbara and Ventura.
Attachments
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Re: Leoma Santa Cruz Island III

Post by JD-MDR »

IMG_1606.jpeg
Track to Fry’s
Attachments
IMG_1606.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Re: Leoma Santa Cruz Island IIi

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very interesting photographs. Not like anything here in New England…
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Yea but you have trees and forests, deer and moose etc. clean rivers and lakes. We have some of that but not S. Ca. Unfortunately all the real wilderness like The Redwood forest , Yosemite, The High Sierras and Lake Tahoe have all been turned into Disneyland attractions.
Forecast is West winds Force 6-7. Everything further along is too exposed. I think I’ll go home. A couple of old clients have been texting me to work on their homes. I need the money. Since two shoulder replacements and retirement. I let my license and insurance expire I do some little jobs for preferred people.
Here is chart from Frys to Forneys cove
IMG_1618.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Weather forecast eased up a little so I decided to continue around West Point to Forneys Cove
IMG_1622.jpeg
I had problems with the windvane. The Servo Blade kept falling off. The auto pilot wouldn’t work either. It says rudder or compass not calibrated. Since i needed to charge the batteries. I motored the 8 mi to Forneys. I anchored and got in the kayak to work on the servo blade. Then I followed the instructions for the Wizard pro calibrating. But couldnt fix the autopilot. Forneys was OK but I decided to sail on down to A better anchorage at Coche Preitas about 12 miles
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1624.png
Coche Preitas is really nice but if you come from the east. There is never wind. Going home I tried to go way offshore hoping to get wind to sail pass Yellowbanks but no luck. I couldnt sail till I got to San Pedro Point.[attachment=0]IMG_1625.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1625.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510