Leoma. Icebox conversion

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Leoma. Icebox conversion

Post by John Stone »

jbenagh wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 09:49 I went and looked at the data I took on our 3 week Maine cruise in '22. I saw 0.7A per hour which is 16.8Ah per day. It was pretty warm that year, the water was often 70F and air temps were often over 80F during the day.
If I did it again, I think I would skip the drilling holes and expanding foam. It was a lot of additional work and made something of a mess when the foam escaped through gaps in the cabinetry. With all the insulation I added inside, I'm not sure it made much difference.
Note I did not insulate the top or the hatch because it seemed to difficult. We laid a blanket or towel on top many days, like 60%.
Jeff
18AH a day is outstanding. Most of the sailors I chatted with in the Caribbean were in the 35-70 ah a day. Water is warmer there. But I have read about 15 ah a day. I would be thrilled with anything under 20-25.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

How do you figure it??
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

jbenagh wrote: Mar 5th, '24, 09:49 I went and looked at the data I took on our 3 week Maine cruise in '22. I saw 0.7A per hour which is 16.8Ah per day. It was pretty warm that year, the water was often 70F and air temps were often over 80F during the day.
If I did it again, I think I would skip the drilling holes and expanding foam. It was a lot of additional work and made something of a mess when the foam escaped through gaps in the cabinetry. With all the insulation I added inside, I'm not sure it made much difference.
Note I did not insulate the top or the hatch because it seemed to difficult. We laid a blanket or towel on top many days, like 60%.
Jeff
Here’s a couple pics of my solution for insulating my original “butterfly” style icebox hatch. I used the same foam sheets I insulated the rest of the icebox with but I doubled them up so it’s 2” thick (it already had some insulation). I used 4200 to glue the insulation to the cover and I used the reinforced alumanized tape to make it easy to keep clean. I didn’t know if the tape was up to the task but it adhered wonderfully. It’s the tape which is used on the seams of sound insulating panels in engine compartments. Not the most elegant solution but it really is up to the task.
IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5268.jpeg
When you tap or double click on the images they turn right side up…if you’re lucky :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

OK. Maybe this is correct. Mine runs 13 min per hr or .216hr x 4.5 amps=.975 x 24hr =23.4Ahr day. If that’s good enough for Far Reach it’s good enough for me. But there are several easy improvements I will make in time
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote: Mar 6th, '24, 23:42
Jeff
Here’s a couple pics of my solution for insulating my original “butterfly” style icebox hatch. I used the same foam sheets I insulated the rest of the icebox with but I doubled them up so it’s 2” thick (it already had some insulation). I used 4200 to glue the insulation to the cover and I used the reinforced alumanized tape to make it easy to keep clean. I didn’t know if the tape was up to the task but it adhered wonderfully. It’s the tape which is used on the seams of sound insulating panels in engine compartments. Not the most elegant solution but it really is up to the task.

IMG_5267.jpeg

IMG_5268.jpeg

When you tap or double click on the images they turn right side up…if you’re lucky :roll:
Very neatly done Jim.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote: Mar 7th, '24, 15:47 OK. Maybe this is correct. Mine runs 13 min per hr or .216hr x 4.5 amps=.975 x 24hr =23.4Ahr day. If that’s good enough for Far Reach it’s good enough for me. But there are several easy improvements I will make in time
That sounds pretty good.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Turns out in warm waters I really need to insulate the icebox
Since I had both setees disassembled to reinforce the bulkheads on both stbd and port. I bored 2” holes behind the backrest. I also drilled ff 3/4” holes in the lockers on the countertop to try to access the outboard side of the ice box. Then I removed the batteries from inside the cockpit locker to access the aft side. I don’t think it’s a good idea to try using expanding foam. I also have cut an opening under the icebox. It makes a good place to stow stuff.
I have decided to copy Jim ( I think) and use 2” foam on the inside. They have it in r-10. I think I will just paint it. I covered my storage cabinets with the plastic sheets. I dont like it. The tin cans make a horrible stain and it just looks very dirty
When I removed the batteries I found the shelf was caved in and water soaked. Some electronics look corroded. I ordered a new battery monitor and the solar controller looks corroded. I’m pretty sure a lot of this moisture was from the cockpit locker hatches. I put 3/4” foam weather stripping from Ace hardware for now. It looks like it seals tight and the original latch dogs it down tight. This foam might not last so I will get good stuff when it’s needed
I have a lot of work to do before I go back down to Mexico December 15
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Sorry. No pics. I did finish the port bulkhead on both sides of the stove with biaxial and I put screws with large washers as recommended
Attachments
IMG_0975.png
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Happy Independence Day!!
I Insulated the ice box with 2” foam R-10. I ended up sheeting it with the polymer plastic stuff. I didn’t like that stuff cuz it stains and looks very dirty. I did insulate the top but not the butterfly hatch. It’s 2” thick with nice bevel fit. Maybe it’s good. I can’t wait to see the difference it makes.
I really lost a lot of pantry space.
I also rebuilt the base of the battery compartment. I used 3/4” oak set on strips of oak cleats. Now it’s supported on all sides. I think I need better hold down straps or brackets
Next job is to disassemble the v-berth and inspect those bulkheads
Ones Question: I want to lose many of the deck thru hills like the water tank filler and the holding tank pump out fittings. Is it not a good idea to remove that pump out fitting. I don’t use the tank I just thought of the fact that there is no other way to empty that tank if for some reason I did use it.
Attachments
IMG_1501.jpeg
IMG_1503.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

OK. Now the compressor runs 3.3 minutes and off for 16.5 min@ 4 amps.
I think. This 10.5/60 x 4 amps x24 hr. = 16.8 per day. Thats way better
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

JD-MDR wrote: Mar 7th, '24, 15:47 OK. Maybe this is correct. Mine runs 13 min per hr or .216hr x 4.5 amps=.975 x 24hr =23.4Ahr day. If that’s good enough for Far Reach it’s good enough for me. But there are several easy improvements I will make in time
OK. Now the compressor runs 3.5minutes and off for 16.5 min@ 4 amps.
I think. This 10.5/60 x 4 amps x24 hr. = 16.8 per day. Thats way better
Air temp about 75. Water about 65 degrees
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

New figures in middle of night. Compressor runs 8 min per hr / 60 x 4 amps x 24 hr = 12.8. Is that correct?? Seems pretty good. Ill check it again in the heat if the day.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

You have been very busy. 16 amps a day would seems really really efficient. I could live with that for sure.

Good work on your projects. Where are you now? When will you head down to Mexico?
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Timed it again. 10.5 min per hr x4 amps. X 24 hr = 16.8.
I must have made a mistake last night. But this is very good. I cant believe what a difference the insulation made.
Im going to Ensenada December 10. I think I will go down to Newport harbor next week to visit my sister 90 miles. They have a real nice anchorage just about 100 or 2. Yrds to the business section
Im at my home port. Ventura West Marina
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

That's amazing fridge performance. I could live with that.