Northeast Fleet Cabin Fever Lunch - March 9

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Northeast Fleet Cabin Fever Lunch - March 9

Post by Carl Thunberg »

The Northeast Fleet Cabin Fever Lunch will be on March 9, 2024 from 11:30 am to around 3:00 pm at Newick's Lobster House at 431 Dover Point Road, Dover, New Hampshire. We have a very special guest speaker Andy Vavolotis, founder of Cape Dory Yachts and author of "Born to Build - The History of Cape Dory".

There is no charge to attend since we all order off the menu. Our Fleet Captain, Dave Hemenway, and CDSOA Commodore Fred Mueller will have some remarks, including an information session on our proposed CDSOA bylaws. And of course, there will be a raffle of CDSOA merchandise.
Registrations are live and several have already registered. Go to the CDSOA Homepage to register or follow this link. I hope to see you there!

https://capedorysoa.org/content.aspx?pa ... id=2203138
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
s2sailorlis2.0

Re: Northeast Fleet Cabin Fever Lunch - March 9

Post by s2sailorlis2.0 »

Will Andy's book be on sale at the event? Thinking of making the drive, but would probably spend the nite rather than 7 hours of driving in one day.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

s2sailorlis2.0 wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 12:08 Will Andy's book be on sale at the event? Thinking of making the drive, but would probably spend the nite rather than 7 hours of driving in one day.
Dave Perry posted this:
PerrySail27 wrote: Feb 3rd, '24, 08:34 Andy is planning to attend the Cabin Fever Luncheon on March 9th in Dover NH., and he will have some books available with him.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

March 9th may seem a long way out, but it's not. It will be here before you know it. Don't miss out on this opportunity to see Andy Vavolotis in person! Keep those registrations coming.

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Andy will have a "limited number" of books available. I suspect the demand will exceed the supply. We cannot process credit cards. Please plan accordingly and bring your checkbook and of course cash is always king. Keep those registrations coming!

Sir Isaac Newton
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Carl,

How to you plan on dealing with the supply/demand imbalance?
Steve Dawson
CD22
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

The supply issue is not of our making and we have no control over it. Andy will bring as many books as his publisher has available. We expect over 50 people in attendance, most of whom will likely want a book. Some people will need to order the book from the website. We don't want to micro-manage the process of determining who does and does not get books at the event. When they're gone, they're gone. It may not be the answer you were hoping for, but it's an honest answer.

I would request that people NOT arrive early in order to secure a place in line. The wait staff needs time to set up tables, we need time to set up the projector, set-up the registration table, and otherwise get ourselves ready to host a great event and great guest speaker that people will really enjoy.

Sir Isaac Newton
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I appreciate your honest answer. Could you please post the website where we can order the book? I'm thinking of driving up for the meeting and getting a signed book is enticing.
Thanks very much.
JOE
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

jfischgrund wrote: Feb 28th, '24, 21:51 I appreciate your honest answer. Could you please post the website where we can order the book? I'm thinking of driving up for the meeting and getting a signed book is enticing.
Thanks very much.
JOE
This is the direct link.
https://capedoryhistory.com/

It was also first mentioned here.
viewtopic.php?t=39111
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Joe,

Andy signs every book, even when ordered through the website. Not that I want to discourage in-person attendance, but if it's a signed copy you are after, you can get that through his website. Just thought you would want to know.

Also, just for everyone's information, CDSOA has no involvement with Andy's book sales, other than providing the event and a table to set up at. We have no information about the actual number of books that will be there.

Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looking forward to seeing everyone currently suffering from cabin fever, as I am. Hopefully Orion will be launched and finally back in her element in six weeks.
Only one week remaining before the Cabin Fever extravaganza…the time to register is now.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

We have 60 people registered for tomorrow! As much as we all like to socialize when we get there, food service for 60 is going to take a while. Remember, we all order off the menu. Please bring your patience and be prepared to order food shortly after arrival. Then we can socialize.

Sir Isaac Newton