Sherwood raw water pump replacement

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Sherwood raw water pump replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

When I purchased Orion in December 2006 I knew the engine was shot. I replaced the original Universal with a new Universal M-25XPB before she was launched in the spring of 2007.
A sore point has always been the difficulty involved in replacing the raw water impeller. The Sherwood raw water pump was standard on many Universals primarily because the Sherwood Pump Company was owned by the parent company of Universal.
Finally, after 16 years of use, the pump bearings let go. Yes, I know the pump can be rebuilt, the problem is that I would have to continue to live with it. The Sherwood pump is, effectively, facing aft, in that the impeller housing must be removed with bolts only accessible from behind the housing. It was never en easy job, even 16 years ago.
I have known for several years that an Oberdorfer pump was available as a retrofit and that is what I have chosen to do…to maintain my sanity. The new Oberdorfer N202M-837 was a simple install and I can now change my impeller in five minutes, on a slow day.
I may order a set of flared collar knurled head thumbscrews to replace the hex head machine screws in the near future from McMaster-Carr.
Attachments
The original equipment Sherwood pump in place. The hex screws are on the aft side of the impeller housing…out of sight and extremely difficult to access.
The original equipment Sherwood pump in place. The hex screws are on the aft side of the impeller housing…out of sight and extremely difficult to access.
IMG_5731.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 535 times
The Sherwood pump impeller housing removed from the pump body to access the impeller for replacement. Not at all convenient!
The Sherwood pump impeller housing removed from the pump body to access the impeller for replacement. Not at all convenient!
IMG_9519.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 535 times
The new Oberdorfer pump.
The new Oberdorfer pump.
IMG_9543.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 535 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time