Engine Coolant - How Much?

Discussions about Cape Dory powerboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carl Thunberg

Engine Coolant - How Much?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have the service manual for my Volvo TAMD 40B. Nowhere does it say how much coolant is in the cooling system. Among other spring commissioning projects, I'm planning to flush the cooling system and put in fresh coolant. My question is, how much coolant should I buy? I've searched various sources and came up empty on this relatively simple question.

On the flip side, I also need to know how much old coolant I need to dispose of.

Edit on 4/6/23. Upon further research, there is no clear answer. It all depends how many hoses you are willing to remove in the process. I don't think I want to remove the heat exchanger hoses to the water heater for example because it's virtually impossible to collect. I'm going to do a gravity drain and call it good. Definitely better than nothing.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
MacDuff

Re: Engine Coolant - How Much?

Post by MacDuff »

Same issue with my TAMD40B. I drained out an amount (can't remember how much) and put the same back in.