Replacing Spartan SeaCocks with Groco - some questions

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carl Thunberg

Re: Replacing Spartan SeaCocks with Groco - some questions

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I replaced my raw water seacock over the last two weekends. In case anyone wondered what grows behind a bronze pre-screen take a look at this first photo. This just seems like a really bad idea to have a permanent pre-screen (no hinge). The growth extended to the through-hull, so I had to resort to a grinder to grind it off. Needless to say, the finished installation has a conventional through-hull without a pre-screen.
Attachments
Bronze Screen.jpg
Bronze Screen.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 496 times
Through Hull Removal.jpg
Through Hull Removal.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 496 times
Finished Installation.jpg
Finished Installation.jpg (886.06 KiB) Viewed 496 times
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Good job! Correct. No screens for intakes. That is an old technique no longer recommended.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Interesting post about the marine growth at the raw water intake.

I did not have those problems.

I was rather surprised when I removed the strainer and there was no marine growth at all.
I had always painted the outside of the strainer with ablative antifouling paint but had never removed
the strainer to paint.
SeaCock_26.JPG
SeaCock_26.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 493 times
When I removed the strainer in order to replace the thru-hull I saw a good coating of antifouling paint still there and no growth.

After I replaced the thru-hull and seacock I attached a hinged strainer to facilitate future maintenance.
I attached it with 4200 onto the bare gelcoat and then painted inside and out with antifouling paint.
SeaCock_25.JPG
SeaCock_25.JPG (93.67 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut