Arietta - Engineless to Northeast Harbor

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wikakaru

Arietta - Engineless to Northeast Harbor

Post by wikakaru »

Last week we took a little six-day cruise aboard Arietta, our Cape Dory 22. Although it's not the longest cruise we have taken aboard her--that honor goes to our 12-day delivery from Boston to Vinalhaven--it is the longest cruise we have done without an engine. I hope you enjoy the photos!

Smooth sailing,

Jim

P.S. I'm trying a different method of attaching photos here so I can get by the 3 photo limit of the board. Please let me know if you can't see the photos linked below.

Arietta at her mooring before our cruise

The schooner J&E Riggin being pushed by her motorized yawl boat through Fox Islands Thorofare

A circus of puffins (with one guillemot thrown in for good measure) takes off as we sail by

Auxiliary propulsion engaged: The joys of engineless sailing

Our second form of auxiliary propulsion: the sculling oar

In the light air the normally shy harbor porpoises get much closer to our boat than usual

The schooner Victory Chimes sails through East Penobscot Bay

We sail past the Deer Isle Thorofare Lighthouse on Mark Island

View of East Penobscot Bay and the Camden Hills from our first night's anchorage at St. Helena Island

The schooner Victory Chimes motor-sails through Deer Isle Thorofare past Stonington

The schooner Eros motors through Deer Isle Thorofare

Sun rising over Wreck Island, Merchant Row

Sailing out of the St. Helena Island anchorage, with fog-shrouded Isle Au Haut ahead

Sunbeams over Jericho Bay

Racing lobster buoys in Jericho Bay. Some of those suckers are pretty fast--at least, faster than we can sail or scull in light winds and strong current...

A Cape Dory 28 gives up trying to sail in Jericho Bay, starts their engine, and motors away

The schooner Victory Chimes motorsails through Jericho Bay

The GPS shows our SOG as 1.3; the knot meter shows our speed through the water as 2.3. We are fighting 1 knot of current.

The gaff ketch Angelique sails through Casco Passage

Still sunset at anchor in Mackerel Cove, Swans Island

The full moon rises over Mackerel Cove, Swans Island

Early morning panorama, Mackerel Cove

The moment before sunrise, Mackerel Cove, Swans Island

Our dinghy Minima towing the mother ship Arietta out of Mackerel Cove

Finally a bit of wind! Running wing and wing past the lighthouse at Bass Harbor Head

Looking back at Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, Mount Desert Island

Waves from Hurricane Earl, far off in the Atlantic, breaking on South Bunker Ledge

An International One Design beats out Western Way

The Friendship sloop Linda sails past Bear Island Lighthouse

The view from our mooring in Northeast Harbor, Mount Desert Island

For our second night in Northeast Harbor we move to the marina so an elderly friend can visit us more easily. (Before you ask, that's me, not the elderly friend!)

Sunrise over Northeast Harbor

Looking out Eastern Way after leaving Northeast Harbor. The sun peeks through the clouds and shines on one of the few patches of breeze on the water.

Waves from Hurricane Earl are still breaking over the ledges two days later...

It's a bit scary watching the waves break behind the junk barge Great Auk in Western Way

Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse

Re-passing Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse on our way back home

Cloudy skies and still water while at anchor in Mackerel Cove

We aren't too proud to accept a tow from the lovely Bridges Point 24 Nancy B when it means we don't have to wait 3-4 hours for a fair current to pass through York Narrows

It's day 6 of our cruise and we finally have the first proper breeze of the trip

Beating past Deer Isle Thorofare Lighthouse, Mark Island

The schooner Mary Day sails in East Penobscot Bay

Now this is sailing! The breeze has finally increased to the point where we need to put a reef in the mainsail

Our track from the trip. Day 1 (red) - 5h31m, 11.4nm; Day 2 (yellow) - 7h04m, 16.9nm; Day 3 (green) - 7h25m, 14.7nm; Return Day 1 (blue) - 7h50m, 18.4nm; Return Day 2 (magenta) - 8h18m, 24.7nm

Just after we return to the mooring at the end of the trip, the schooner Heritage sails into our cove and anchors

I'm a little reluctant to finish up with this last shot, as the light was terrible, but this is how Arietta looked as we walked up the hill away from our mooring: all ready to go again!
wikakaru

Re: Arietta - Engineless to Northeast Harbor

Post by wikakaru »

Well that clearly didn't work. All the images showed up last night, but this morning they were gone. DropBox must give out temporary URLs for its images. Oh well. Here's try 2:
2022-09-12 NEH1.jpg
2022-09-12 NEH1.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 648 times
2022-09-12 NEH2.jpg
2022-09-12 NEH2.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 648 times
2022-09-12 NEH3.jpg
2022-09-12 NEH3.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 648 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

And here's page 4...
2022-09-12 NEH4.jpg
2022-09-12 NEH4.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 648 times
FarrellTed

Post by FarrellTed »

Great photos. Those waves from Hurricane Earl are beautiful and terrifying!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

FarrellTed wrote:Great photos. Those waves from Hurricane Earl are beautiful and terrifying!
Fortunately we were in Northeast Harbor during the time of the biggest waves. Even so, when we went by South Bunker Ledge the waves were making loud roaring and clapping noises as they broke on the ledges and shoreline of Seawall. It was a little bit unsettling on an engineless boat in light, patchy wind.

--Jim
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Sounds and looks like a sweet cruise. Is that the 9-10’ Walker Bay dingy? I have the same..

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

It's a Walker Bay 8. I like it because it's light weight and takes quite a beating. I used to say "indestructible" until I destroyed my last one, so now I know better.

--Jim
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Jim,

Great pics, and it certainly sounds like a great cruise! I have to ask where you saw the puffins? The puffin colonies that I'm aware of are Eastern Egg Rock, Matinicus Rock, Machias Seal Island, and Petit Manan. Your cruise itinerary didn't take you near any of those. Is it possible we now have self-sustaining puffin colonies in other places, like Isle Au Haut? If so, that would be a major success for puffin restoration efforts.

I took this photo of tufted puffins in Prince William Sound earlier this summer. Now these are self-sustaining puffins. There are three puffins in this picture.
Attachments
Puffins Prince William Sound.JPG
Puffins Prince William Sound.JPG (7.33 MiB) Viewed 617 times
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Hi Jim,

Great pics, and it certainly sounds like a great cruise! I have to ask where you saw the puffins? The puffin colonies that I'm aware of are Eastern Egg Rock, Matinicus Rock, Machias Seal Island, and Petit Manan. Your cruise itinerary didn't take you near any of those. Is it possible we now have self-sustaining puffin colonies in other places, like Isle Au Haut? If so, that would be a major success for puffin restoration efforts.

I took this photo of tufted puffins in Prince William Sound earlier this summer. Now these are self-sustaining puffins. There are three puffins in this picture.
Nice shot of the puffins! We went to Alaska back in 2009 but regrettably didn't see any puffins.

We saw these birds near Vinalhaven, Maine. I've never seen them here before, and I've been coming to Maine since the 1980s. Matinicus Rock is about 20 miles away. There is also a colony at Seal Island, less than 15 miles away. I don't know how far they forage, but they could have come this far for the sardines that tend to accumulate in the coves. I also don't know when their migration occurs, or if their migration would take them through these waters, but there they were. Unless, of course, I have mis-identified them--I'm not an avid birdwatcher so it's entirely possible. The beaks didn't have the impressive wide bands I have seen in photos of nesting puffins, but I understand that their beaks lose their color in winter, so maybe this was the start of the process. I also thought that the birds in the same group that had different coloration weren't puffins, but looking at it a little more I suspect that they were juvenile puffins. There's a lot I don't know about birds, and I would gladly accept any corrections if I have mis-identified them.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

They certainly look like puffins and 15 miles isn't out of the question if food is plentiful. Very cool.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton