Center of balance CD22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jdhseville

Center of balance CD22

Post by jdhseville »

Hello all.

I'm trailering my CD22 for the first time this weekend and am wondering about where the center of balance is on a CD22 and how to place the boat on a dual axle trailer. I've seen online that it is likely around the turn or knee of the keel and that the boat should be placed with that point about 6 or 8 inches ahead of the center line between the two axles. Can anybody share their experience with their CD22 on a dual-axle trailer? Thanks so much!

John
wikakaru

Re: Center of balance CD22

Post by wikakaru »

Sorry, my trailer is single-axle, but here's a photo of my CD22 on its trailer in case it helps:
IMG_8461a.JPG
Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

P.S. The rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross weight of boat plus trailer. If you are putting the boat onto a trailer from a travel lift (and the boatyard can scootch it around for you), then put a scale under the tongue and have them move the boat on the trailer until the tongue weight is right.

--Jim
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

My 22, on a single axle Triad trailer is about where the picture above is set. See pix….
4A6FBD50-17D4-4538-A49F-5F68D9C1FF0D.jpeg
Who made your trailer…? Call the manufacturer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
lrak

Post by lrak »

wikakaru wrote:P.S. The rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross weight of boat plus trailer.
That depends a lot on how far back the axles are on the trailer. Usually boat trailers are best around 5-10%, flat utility trailers are best around 8-13%, travel trailers/enclosed car haulers are best around 13-18%. Read your trailers owners manual.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

lrak wrote:
wikakaru wrote:P.S. The rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross weight of boat plus trailer.
That depends a lot on how far back the axles are on the trailer. Usually boat trailers are best around 5-10%, flat utility trailers are best around 8-13%, travel trailers/enclosed car haulers are best around 13-18%. Read your trailers owners manual.
That's good information. I hadn't seen tongue weight recommendations broken down by use like that. There isn't really a manual for my trailer, but the manual for the surge break actuator coupler mounted on the trailer puts the maximum tongue weight at 8% of the trailer's maximum gross weight, which is right in the 5-10% range you give for boat trailers.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
ctcd22lis

Post by ctcd22lis »

I know this post is old…but I responded under another user name above (S2sailorlis) because I was unable to reset my password due to the board software…..

I’ve also read other sources stating boat trailers should be at 5-10%, some have quoted USCG, Shoreline Trailers, etc. Triad’s manual is nonexistent, and its website provides no information other than manuals for the piece parts. I suspect he does this to avoid any liability issues…….