New to List, Looking at Cape Dory Typhoon - Have Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

WhiteBearSailor

Re: New to List, Looking at Cape Dory Typhoon - Have Questio

Post by WhiteBearSailor »

Many thanks for your answers, advice, and welcome.

Yes the Herreshoff Doughdish price is an eye opener for sure, even for ones the age of Typhoons. So yes, from a price standpoint the Typhoon looks attractive.

I'm looking at both the Daysailor and the Weekender although I think I like the Daysailor look and feel better. I like the large cockpit, and I especially likevsitting low in the cockpit and on teak benches that the Daysailor provides (like the Doughdish), and I don't need the cabin with it's high berths.

I suspect the daysailer will be difficult to impossible to find due to low manufacturer numbers.

No I didn't know the Daysailor was not self bailing. And I will admit that I didn't know the Weekender was self bailing either. I'm in learning mode here so please don't assume I know something. :) For the folks who moor on a buoy or are dockside, are you're a using small battery powered bilge pump to drain the water or keep it from filling up. Just a guess. I don't see any boat covers on any of the internet photos. Are there covers that go over the boom/sail and attach to the deck or do does the rain just collect. Sorry, I feel guilty asking some of these newbie questions.

I think I'm confused about the term 'cuddy' versus 'cabin' with regards to the Daysailor. While the Weekender has a 'cabin', the Daysailor has a small cuddy for storage? Do I have this right?

I will definitely need a motor to get from and to the dock. I like the stern motor mount and it looks like it will work ok with a long shaft motor. Thanks for the reminder about getting a motor with a built in gas tank. Yes your comments about 4 cycle weight is good. My Capri 22 has a 5 HP Honday weighing 58 pounds. It's heavier than I can carry up the hill to the house if it poops out.... so I like the idea of a light weight 2 stroke long shaft motor. I see the Honda 2.3 hp outboard is 29 pounds even for a 4 stoke.

Regarding cabin roof sag, I am familiar with the concept of cabin sag and it can be a terribly bad thing as side stays loosen as the cabin roof sinks. No I didn't know there were 'temporary' mast supports. I will keep an eye open for this. I know the Daysailor won't have that problem with the keel stepped mast.

I will spend time going through the archives to take advantage of the previous Typhoon discussions, although I am grateful to you for answering my questions here, live, and not just pointing me to the archives. :)

No I didn't know there was a difference in mast rig between the Weekender and Daysailor. Thanks for that. I know the difference between the masthead and fractional rig but I don't have a feel about the performance difference. I'll need to read up on that. Thanks.

I would like to have a roller furled jib as I like controlling the jib area from the cockpit without having to go forward when leaving or approaching the dock, or when I need to reduce sail area due to higher winds.

Thanks for the link to the Youtube video on the Typhoon regatta. That will be fun to look at and learn more about the boat handling, plus see the Weekender and Daysailor versions.

Many thanks, Scott
Last edited by WhiteBearSailor on Mar 1st, '22, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteBearSailor

Post by WhiteBearSailor »

Thanks Jim for the Youtube link to the 2016 Typhoon Nationals! It answered several of my questions. There are three different versions of Typhoon out there. The Weekender, a Daysailor with a 'cuddy', and a Daysailor with no cuddy or no cabin. It was good to see those.

That video was fun to look at and see the three types of Typhoons out there and get a feel for handling and agility. I need to go back and look closer that the mast rigs to see the differences. Gads after watching that video, I can't go wrong with any version. Thanks, Scott
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

WhiteBearSailor wrote: No I didn't know the Daysailor was not self bailing. And I will admit that I didn't know the Weekender was self bailing either. I'm in learning mode here so please don't assume I know something. :) For the folks who moor on a buoy or are dockside, are you're a using small battery powered bilge pump to drain the water or keep it from filling up.
<snip>
Regarding cabin roof sag, I am familiar with the concept of cabin sag and it can be a terribly bad thing as side stays loosen as the cabin roof sinks. No I didn't know there were 'temporary' mast supports. I will keep an eye open for this. I know the Daysailor won't have that problem with the keel stepped mast.
<snip>
No I didn't know there was a difference in mast rig between the Weekender and Daysailor. Thanks for that. I know the difference between the masthead and fractional rig but I don't have a feel about the performance difference. I'll need to read up on that. Thanks.
I keep my Weekender on a mooring and I don't bother with a bilge pump. The cabin closes up tight enough to keep the rain out and as you noted the cockpit is self-bailing so there's no need for a cover either. A Daysailer would be a different situation.

]Here's a blog post about installing a compression post in the cabin of a Weekender. Not a big project. And you may not find it necessary, depending on the age of the boat.

By all means read up on the performance potential of the different rigs, but don't sweat it too much, unless you've got a competitive buddy with the "fast" rig. :D
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I really like my Weekender - the cab in holds all the paraphenalia such as a paddle, battery, electric trolling motor, life jackets, fishing gear , tool box, fishing gear for the grand kids and whatever. I also installed the FF1 roller furler and really liked it - especially while sailing to and from the dock. I leave the dock with the main then unfurl the genoa once clear of the dock. I furl the main prior to approaching the dock and sail in with the genoa partly furled then furl it completely and ghost into the dock - takes all the stress away!
As for the anchor - it and the rode are stowed in the cockpit lockers with a couple of fenders. I also made a connection box for the battery cable that is stowed in a locker and brought out into the cockpit when using the trolling motor. I sail single handed most of the time but often sail with one or two friends/family. Anybody over 6 feet tall with mobility issues may have difficulties but I have had 4 others on the boat at times. I have never used the boat for an overnight but it would be tight for two people. The cabin is weather tight - keeping the interior dry. A cuddy cabin is generally small for storage, open to the cockpit and not a usable sleeping space. I have sailed a RHODES 19 with the centerboard and cuddy - a nice daysailer. As for the mast - the keel stepped mast on the daysailer version would be similar to that on the O'Day daysailer - not an easy task to step and unstep whereas the mast on the weekender is stepped on the cabin top and 2 people can easily step and unstep it at the dock while the boat is in the water. Even myself and another 80 year-old person can do this with complete sanity and no cussing! I fabricated a mast support in the cabin and it has worked perfectly for the past 11 years.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

Sorry I'm late to the game and hope my comments are useful as a Ty Weekender and Ty Daysailer "cuddy" model owner. I'm familiar with the Capi 22 and sailed with a friend quite a few times in the past. You state age and health making it harder to sail. Can you be specific? The Typhoon isn't much smaller and my pose some issues. I sold my Ty Weekender when I found a Daysailer Cuddy model and have no regrets.
Lots of good info already shared. But here's my experience.
I'm 6'2" 215lbs and love sitting down inside the cockpit instead of the sitting "uptop" with my knees in my chest feeling of the Weekender. Yes the lack of coaming angle is a pain as a backrest. We keep lots of old patio chair cushion on board. Love having the head room for the boom.
Stepping the mast which goes through the deck to the cockpit floor is not nearly as easy as the Weekender! But no coach roof sag issues. The first 2 years I hired a crane to pull the mast for $200 a pop. I made a ginpole setup that 3 of us can have the mast up or down in 20 minutes. Here's the link for my inspiration to save $400 a year! https://sailsaratoga.org/ensign-step-mast
I'm sailing on a large lake in Syracuse NY from a dock in a marina and use a MinnKota 55lb thrust longshaft trolling motor. It works great 99% of the time. If the wind is really gusting you will lack thrust to push that much bulk! The boat came with 3hp old Johnson that I just got tired of gas tank, smell, noise and it just looked awful hanging off the stern.
No automatic bilge pump has not been a problem at all. I have a full cockpit cover that snaps along the outside of the cockpit coamin, around the cuddy, zips up to the mast with a collar that ties. The stern zips up to the boom and a bungee cord around the backstay mount hold a tight angle to shed water.
We've had some of the wettest summers and falls the past 4 years here in CNY. Only once I had the bilge fill to within 1 or 2 inches under the grating. We had so much rain the lake level rose and flooded the docks and marina wouldn't allow anyone on them until it went down. My Thirsty Mate hand pump took a couple dozen strokes to empty. I think I read somewhere the Daysailer has positive flotation in case of capsize or breech? There's a lot of foam hidden in the hull. Good luck with your search and let me know if you have more questions.