New to List, Looking at Cape Dory Typhoon - Have Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

WhiteBearSailor

New to List, Looking at Cape Dory Typhoon - Have Questions

Post by WhiteBearSailor »

Hi, I am starting to shop for a new sailboat. I've sailed a Catalina Capri 22 for many years, no longer race, and singlehanded pleasure sail 99% of the time. Due to health and age reasons, the Capri is becoming more difficult for me to sail and I'm enjoying far less, and sailing less. I'm looking to buy a smaller boat that is easier to manage both on and off the water.

One sailboat I'm looking at is the Herreshoff 12 1/2 Doughdish because of the wide cockpit and no cabin or anything, just space - so you have an idea what I like. A friend who runs a local boatyard is recommending that I look at the Cape Dory Typhoon as he's owned 3 in the past and considers it his favorite boat of all that he's owned. So I'm am starting to study the Typhoon. There's been a Typhoon Weekender sailing and racing on the lake for several years and I've marveled at how well controlled the boat is even in terribly windy days where no one else is out.

What are the weak points that I should be looking out for when shopping for a Typhoon? Are there common issues that I should look for? Do you typically put the Typhoon on a lift or tie it dockside?

How much horsepower does it take to move the Typhoon? Will a 2 hp or 2.5 hp work fine?

I believe there is a version out there called a Day Sailor that didn't have a cabin or cuddy. Do you know anything about this version? I have the impression that they rare.

Thanks, Scott
radsailor

Re: New to List, Looking at Cape Dory Typhoon - Have Questio

Post by radsailor »

I have extensively sailed the weekender model of the Typhoon for over two years, almost always solo. The only issue I have with the boat is that it does not point well. This
is not unexpected given the keel configuration. Otherwise the boat is very easy to enjoy. I did get a 110% working jib for sailing in the winter as I wanted less spray and less work. This jib makes
sailing even easier as there is virtually no strain on the sheets. Last week I was out on a day when gusts of 20kts were common and one gust was 24kts. I probably should have reefed, but in between gusts, the wind was just right.
The 150 genoa can be a handful in a lot of wind when sailing solo. I have hit 7kts surfing down waves which is a blast and in perfect control.

I am a sucker for a pretty boat and the Typhoon certainly is that.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

The Typhoon is definitely worth a look. I've single-handed mine a lot and it's never an issue. I'd second radsailor's recommendation of a working jib. Unless you sail mostly in very light winds (< 5 knots) you don't need anything bigger and the smaller jib is very easy to handle, trim, and store. Set up your main with a reef point or two and you can happily go out and enjoy yourself in sporty weather.

Older vintages of the Typhoon Weekender have issues with the cabin sagging due to the downward pressure of the rig. Later models had a beefed-up under-deck structure. In any case, as far as I'm aware the sagging is mostly just cosmetic, and the fix is to install a compression post from the underside of the mast step to the hull below. The daysailer model has a keel-stepped mast (I think) so it doesn't have this issue.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any widespread issues that need to be watched out for. Just the usual ones for an older fiberglass boat--rotten core, etc.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Welcome to the forum, Scott. I will get the ball rolling by answering a few of your questions. Others can chime in on the rest.

First, you should avail yourself of the forum's search capabilities. Over its history nearly every conceivable question about Cape Dory yachts has been asked and answered here.
WhiteBearSailor wrote:What are the weak points that I should be looking out for when shopping for a Typhoon? Are there common issues that I should look for?
When I bought it, my Typhoon had numerous randomly-oriented cracks in the deck's gelcoat caused by the factory using quite thick gelcoat (which gets brittle) and the first layer of fiberglass not being wet out enough, which creates air pockets that expand and contract, causing the cracks. This is a fairly common problem.

My boat also had blistering below the waterline when I bought it. I think this is less common.

A number of Weekenders have problems with the deck being compressed where the mast is supported and have added compression posts below. Mine does not have this problem. The Daysailor's mast is keel stepped and doesn't have this problem.
WhiteBearSailor wrote:Do you typically put the Typhoon on a lift or tie it dockside?
I prefer to sail from a mooring in Maine where moorings are common and marinas are not; in Florida I keep it in a slip. I launch the boat from a trailer at the beginning of the season and haul it with the trailer at the end of the season. If you want to trailer the Typhoon you will need a long tongue extension and a steep ramp.

I have seen Typhoons with lifting eyes rigged to a keel bolt in the bilge access hatch in the cabin sole. I presume some people sail from a yacht club with a crane lift that makes this practical, but I've never tried it.
WhiteBearSailor wrote:How much horsepower does it take to move the Typhoon? Will a 2 hp or 2.5 hp work fine?
I have tried virtually every propulsion method possible on my Typhoon, including paddles, oars, a 62-pound-thrust trolling motor, a 2.5 HP Yamaha four-stroke, a 4 HP two-stroke, and a 6 HP four-stroke outboard. With a paddle I could move at about 1 knot; with oars it was 1.5 knots; the trolling motor would get me to 3.5 knots; the 2.5 HP gets me to hell speed (4.9 knots); the 4 will push the boat well above hull speed--up to around 5.5 knots; the 6 HP outboard was really overkill--it had more power than I needed or wanted.

If you are sailing from a mooring it is certainly possible to have no outboard at all, and just use paddles or oars when the wind dies totally. I did this when I kept my Typhoon in Maine and I actually prefer it. In Florida I have a slip in a marina off a channel that has large commercial barge traffic, so human propulsion is not safe or practical. There my preferred propulsion method is a Yamaha 2.5 four-stroke. At wide-open-throttle it will push the Typhoon at hull speed (4.9 knots). A 2.5 is a good choice if you are looking for an outboard mostly to get you home when the wind dies. If you are looking for an outboard to motor into headwinds and larger seas, go up to a 4 HP model.

If you can find an old two-stroke in good shape it may be a better choice for a 4HP, as it is lighter than the 4-strokes.

I prefer outboards with integral tanks on the Typhoon as there is nowhere to store an external gas tank.

You should have a long (20") shaft outboard to make sure the prop and cooling water intake don't lift out of the water.
WhiteBearSailor wrote:I believe there is a version out there called a Day Sailor that didn't have a cabin or cuddy. Do you know anything about this version? I have the impression that they rare.
You are correct that there were far fewer Typhoon Daysailors built than Typhoon Weekenders. One difference to consider that isn't obvious at first glance is that the Daysailor's cockpit is not self-draining, while the Weedender's is. (I assume you know that the H 12-1/2's also don't have self-draining cockpits, either.) I own a Weekender and have sailed a Daysailor as well. It's been almost 7 years since I sailed the Daysailor, but it was the first Typhoon I ever sailed, and I enjoyed it enough that it eventually led to my purchasing a Weekender. I wanted a cuddy cabin to sleep aboard on rare occasions, so I went with the Weekender.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

wikakaru wrote:Welcome to the forum, Scott. I will get the ball rolling by answering a few of your questions. Others can chime in on the rest.
Well now...By the time I typed my long-winded reply, others already chimed in. Great!

--Jim
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

wikakaru wrote:One difference to consider that isn't obvious at first glance is that the Daysailor's cockpit is not self-draining, while the Weedender's is.
The rigs are different too. The Daysailor is a masthead rig, versus a fractional rig on the Weekender. I"ve never sailed a Daysailer I'm not sure if their sailing characteristics are that different, but it's something to be aware of. Any thoughts on the two rigs, Jim?
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

We brought back a mid 1970's Typhoon weekender back to life from years in a farm field, fenders still hanging overboard. Sailed it for four years. I concur with what others have said here about what to look for. When I simply spent a few hours cleaning the boat inside and out it probably doubled in value. Two weeks of pretty focused work repaired an indent in the hull from long term improper trailer mounting, a busted teak taffrail, replaced cockpit drain seacocks/hoses, new round bronze port lights, sewed up some sail rite kit sails (OK so that was over the long MN winter) and a bunch of other bits including jacking up the cabin top under the mast step. The boat came back beautifully and to this day, owned by a good friend, sails wonderfully and turns heads everywhere she goes - He did add the name in gold leaf to the transom.

I don't think you can find a more lovely and well respected little sailor our there that is not much more expensive, much less abundant, hard to get knowledge on and insure. I first fell in love with sailing on a Typhoon years ago and I imagine people will continue to do so for a very long time. Of course, being a CD owner and a member on this board I may be biased, but there is certainly a bit of magic in the Typhoon design.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have always admired the Herreshoff 12-1/2. You really can't go wrong with either. Once you start looking at the prices of H 12-1/2's, the Typhoon will look like a bargain!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Re outboard motor: I bought a Torqeedo electric motor (3hp equivalent) which is clean, quiet and requires no maintenance or winterizing. I have to motor in and out of the marina and
the channel, but usually get two days worth before needing to recharge. Recharge is simple- the battery weighs about 12 pounds.-take it home, plug it in and the next day,
good to go. I also have a spare battery so I rotate the two. Only once did I need to use the second battery when the first ran out.

I should add that I am 68 years old and have no trouble single handing the boat.The halyards and cunningham run to the cockpit as do the jib sheets. Jiffy reefing is a must and
keeping the jib on a furler keeps things simple.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Ben Miller wrote:
wikakaru wrote:One difference to consider that isn't obvious at first glance is that the Daysailor's cockpit is not self-draining, while the Weedender's is.
The rigs are different too. The Daysailor is a masthead rig, versus a fractional rig on the Weekender. I"ve never sailed a Daysailer I'm not sure if their sailing characteristics are that different, but it's something to be aware of. Any thoughts on the two rigs, Jim?
I had never noticed that the Daysailor was a masthead rig! Thanks for pointing that out! My one Daysailor sail was only for a few hours seven years ago, so while I can confirm that the Daysailor is a sweet boat to sail just as the Weekender is, I can't say much more.

Just for grins, I checked out the wonderful video from the 2016 Typhoon Nationals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HryHBibKBzU) and spotted 5 Daysailors in the two (Champion and Corinthian) fleets. Hull numbers 5, 6, 59, 62, and 69 are Daysailors. Here are the results from the Champion fleet (from http://typhoonnationals.blogspot.com/p/results.html), with the Daysailor models circled in red:
2016 Typhoon Nationals Results.jpg
A Daysailor won the regatta, but Daysailors also appear spread through the results, so if the Daysailor is the faster boat, it isn't so much faster that a well-sailed Weekender can't give it a run for its money. I found it interesting that there is a much higher proportion of Daysailors in the racing fleet compared to the number of Daysailors "in the wild", where they are definitely in the minority.

And to bring the discussion back around to the original post, I have to say that the Daysailor, Weekender, and the H12½ are all sweet boats, and the OP wouldn't go far wrong with any of them.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

From the spec page on our site, only 142 Day Sailors where made vs 1982 Weekenders!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

mgphl52 wrote:From the spec page on our site, only 142 Day Sailors where made vs 1982 Weekenders!
Interesting. That's a roughly 14:1 ratio of Weekenders to Daysailors produced, and a roughly 4:1 ratio in that race.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I concur with all the above comments about the typhoon. After club racing for the past 40 years I have also been sailing my typhoon for the past 10 and really like it a lot! It requires little helm, takes the wind and waves well and with the roller furling, allows me to sail up to the dock where I keep it in the summer) with ease. I primarily sail it single handed but take friends and family out as well. A large person (6'2 or so) can have a tough time moving around on the boat unless he/she is an agile person. I strongly recommend rebedding all deck hardware since Cape Dory didn't always provide enough caulk and what there is has probably dried out by now. When rebedding the hardware, seal the edges of all holes in the deck core to prevent any water migration. Definitely install a portable mast compression post (refer to the index here and you will find several easy to make designs. ALso, look at the attachment of the rudder to the rudder post to make sure it is a solid connection. The nice thing about this boat is that it is easy to adjust the sails and I have never used a winch handle! Compared to my previous 34 foot boat it is nice to sail and relax at the same time. Install a topping lift to support the boom instead of relying on the pigtail on the backstay - makes it easier to raise and drop the main. I put a FF1 roller furler on and designed a genoa with the local sail maker so I could see under the sail. Have used the working jib the first couple of years and it worked fine but the genny is great for up to 12-15 knots. I used to have a longshaft Mariner 4hp outboard but converted to a trolling motor and solar panel for when the wind dies - all I need because I sail to and from the dock. I just like the appearance of the boat without an outboard motor sticking off the stern. Also, it is probably a good idea to replace the through hull valves and hoses. DO NOT RELY on the "lifting eye" in the bilge - it is there for when they dropped the lead ballast into the hull - not designed for lifting the boat and could easily break.

The weekender model is nice because there is a lot of storage below for all the miscellaneous material needed. I do not cruise the Ty and keep the cushions in storage but there is plenty of room for life jackets, fishing rods, tools and spare parts, paddles, anchor, trolling motor, cushions etc. etc, etc.... Good luck with your search - I launch and recover my Ty at a boat ramp that has 3.5 feet of water depth. Stepping the deck mounted mast is eacy with 2 people (I am 79 and all I need is someone younger to help! If it were a keel stepped mast it would take 3 or 4 people and some ear plugs!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

radsailor wrote:Re outboard motor: I bought a Torqeedo electric motor (3hp equivalent) which is clean, quiet and requires no maintenance or winterizing.
Would you mind posting which model Torqeedo you have and the maximum speed it will push the boat to at full power (what would be called wide-open-throttle on a gasoline outboard) on the thread http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38397? Thanks in advance!

--Jim
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I have a Typhoon Daysailer and had a Bullseye, which shares the hull with the H 12 1/2 made by Cape Cod Shipbuilding and is really close to the original wooden H 12 1/2s and Doughdishes. They are both great boats, more similar than they are different.

- Bullseye - My Bullseye was as new, the nicest sailboat that I have ever owned. I liked the self tending jib and the fact that I live very close to the builder. In my area Bullseye's and their relations are the dominant small boat - close to 40 in our harbor with an active racing program. I also liked the fact that I could haul the Bullseye with a small SUV - I don't think I will ever own a car big enough to to a typhoon.

- Typhoon DS - My DS is one of the last built - now 37 years old - I have replaced a number of parts, but the hull is still solid. Because the Daysailer is not self bailing, the sole is well below the waterline and I can stand while sailing without having to duck much when tacking. You also sit pretty deeply and I find the seat angles and depth to be comfortable. It has the feeling of being bigger that the 3 feet it has on the Bullseye. I like the teak seats, and ultimately kept the DS because the seats were more comfortable than the Bullseye. My only wish is for a self tending jib and better jib sheeting angles - I sail through the harbor and short tack a lot. I have rigged barber haulers which keep the jib sheets off of the shrouds, but am thinking about engineering a self tending set up.

I can's speak to the TyWE but you could not go wrong with either a TyDS or a Bullseye/H12 1/2/Doughdish.

Jeff