Slip or mooring fees

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Slip or mooring fees

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:All of those fees seem pretty well inline, EXCEPT the mast pulling at $25/foot. That is outrageous. We have a private crane truck come to the harbor and pull our 49' mast for a flat $225. Are you allowed to pull your mast on your own?

I have some northern European sailor friends and they have all said for them the US crane charge is outrageous. They said to me their marinas and sailing clubs all come with a crane as part of the member benefits and folks work together and pull and step their masts.

I don't see how people afford some of the boats they have. Of course, now that I think about it many of them can't. I know several boatyard owners who are stuck with boats people have just abandoned when their finances will no longer support the realities of boat ownership.

It can be challenging for new sailors to navigate the boating-industrial complex which works very hard to separate money from sailors.
Last edited by John Stone on Dec 24th, '21, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

At John Wayne Marina on Sequim Bay, WA my CD28 costs ~ $300/Month. Electricity is $10/month plus .07/ KHW. I keep the Pinafore in the water year round, since there are many good sailing days even in winter. There's also the frostbite races on the weekends.
Bernie Armstrong
SV Pinafore
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

After checking - it's $16.50 per foot of boat length (LOA) to remove the mast.
So, for a 30 foot boat about $500 to remove and then $500 to step it next spring.
Even though the mast is over 30 feet they go by boat length.
Pricey for sure but no other options that I can see.
Overall, it's a great marina for winter storage for me because it's 15 minutes from home and they are fine with DYI work all winter long.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

[quote="John Stone"][quote="tjr818"]All of those fees seem pretty well inline,

even ours at Ventura CA. ??? 15.20 ft plus $275 liveaboard fee per mo..
I'm debating weather I should give up my slip when I take off Feb 15. I'll be gone 3-6 mo. Thats a lot of $ and I will be on SS from now on. The problem is I don't know if I will ever find another liveaboard slip. If I keep my slip they will try to rent it out and split the $ but I don't think they will try very hard.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Seaweed2

Post by Seaweed2 »

JD-MR, that is a lot of cash! Will they defer the live aboard fee while you are away? That would help a bit. I have heard that slips are near impossible to find in many parts of the west coast. Waiting lists can be extreme. Like you said, that alone may be the only advantage to keeping the slip. I would assume housing rental prices much more steep than the $730/month fee, plus you still need to keep the boat somewhere.

John makes a valuable point about navigating the boating-industrial complex, which works very hard to separate money from sailors.
For a moderately priced boat you can quickly surpass the value of the boat just trying to keep it in or near the water. I suspect this won't be getting better soon, if ever.
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Here's the fee schedule for where we keep our boat in NJ:

https://www.lockwoodboatworks.com/rates
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I'll be storing my 25D on a trailer with the mast up for $75/mo. at a marina with a steep launch ramp where I can launch myself for free. A vehicle which isn't rated to tow the weight of your boat/trailer combo on a highway can often launch it without a problem, especially if it's 4WD and using a deep, well-grooved, well-maintained ramp. My uncle drives 1/4 mi and launches a 2500 lb fishing boat with a Honda fit every week.

Might be worth considering a trailer for your 28, which it sounds like would save over $2k/yr while offering much flexibility. Triad makes them for about $11k. If you carry a brochure for a 27 (8.5 beam) in your glove box a cop won't know the difference and so won't ticket you for an oversized load if you choose to travel with it.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I rent a protected mooring inside the breakwater at a municipal marina (Elmwood Township Harbor). For 2022 it's going to cost $1,052, which is an increase of 24% since I first got the mooring in 2016. Yikes! They've been making some major upgrades to the marina over the last couple of years, so I expect the prices will continue to rise. The good news, I guess, is that Guy pays the same amount for his CD30 on the neighboring mooring ball as I do for my Typhoon. Sounds like an excuse to get a bigger boat!

Slips start close to $3,000 for a 30' and go up from there. I'll be staying on my mooring.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Ben Miller wrote:I rent a protected mooring inside the breakwater at a municipal marina (Elmwood Township Harbor). For 2022 it's going to cost $1,052, which is an increase of 24% since I first got the mooring in 2016. Yikes! They've been making some major upgrades to the marina over the last couple of years, so I expect the prices will continue to rise. The good news, I guess, is that Guy pays the same amount for his CD30 on the neighboring mooring ball as I do for my Typhoon. Sounds like an excuse to get a bigger boat!

Slips start close to $3,000 for a 30' and go up from there. I'll be staying on my mooring.
Ben
My wife and I drove our jeep back from camping on the Keweenaw Peninsula in early Oct and skirted along the bay. That whole area was spectacular. I had never seen it before. In fact all of Michigan was very scenic and much more bucolic than I anticipated. But the coast pulled me in like a Star Trek tractor beam. It was stunning.

What other benefits come with your mooring?
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Ken,

I couldn't help notice there are no chains between the jack stands. You can see the chain, but it's hanging limp on the ground. That is very dangerous.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joegunz

Post by Joegunz »

In Rye harbor New Hampshire I pay $396/year for the mooring that I own for a CD 33. The chain is about what Frenchy in New Bedford has but bottom is 3/4 and the top chain is 5/8. They get replaced as needed. 3 - 5 years? There a parking permit for $75 and a skiff permit for $50. The winter storage and haul out/in, bottom wash and stands etc. all up and all in is $1200. I'd be interested in what people pay for insurance. Mine is $1195.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Ken,

I couldn't help notice there are no chains between the jack stands. You can see the chain, but it's hanging limp on the ground. That is very dangerous.
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the tip RE the chains. That picture was from two years ago. It was late in the spring and I think they had moved the boat. They're pretty good about safety but that was a miss. This year the jack stands do have chains.

Ken
Ken Easley
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Joegunz wrote:In Rye harbor New Hampshire I pay $396/year for the mooring that I own for a CD 33. The chain is about what Frenchy in New Bedford has but bottom is 3/4 and the top chain is 5/8. They get replaced as needed. 3 - 5 years? There a parking permit for $75 and a skiff permit for $50. The winter storage and haul out/in, bottom wash and stands etc. all up and all in is $1200. I'd be interested in what people pay for insurance. Mine is $1195.
I have insurance from Geico / BoatUS: $125 per year, liability only,
and it includes no charge towing from TowBoatUS. On my second year with them.
Ken Easley
Joegunz

Post by Joegunz »

Ken,
Thanks for the insurance info. Super good price, I need a new quote!
Seaweed2

Post by Seaweed2 »

My 1975 CD 28 through Progressive costs just a little over $300/year with Comp, Collision, liability, medical payments, and uninsured boater. It does limit me to only 75 miles from coast of US or Canada though. There is a premium for further distances but I don't need it as yet!

That also includes "Sign and Glide". They will pay for on-water towing, jump starts, soft un-groundings and fuel delivery. No deductible or frequency limit! Haven't used it yet but...
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester