Slip or mooring fees

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Seaweed2

Slip or mooring fees

Post by Seaweed2 »

I am just curious as to what the prevailing rates are for dockage or mooring across the audience. Our local marina in Rochester on Lake Ontario which usually has had many open slips, was completely full last year. Their rates for April 15 to October 15 for a 28 foot boat are just under $2300. It's a good marina with locked gates, showers, ship's store including fuel, and repair facilities. I am not planning on going anywhere soon but wondered how much variation there is by locale.
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Walter Hobbs

Re: Slip or mooring fees

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Here in RI, slips go for 80 to 100 per foot and may be higher in Newport. I'm frugal, I pay $ 250 a season to the town for a mooring permit. I own the mooring tackle and probably average $ 200 a season to have it serviced. I keep an inflatable at a nearby dock for another $ 50.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Here in RI, slips go for 80 to 100 per foot and may be higher in Newport. I'm frugal, I pay $ 250 a season to the town for a mooring permit. I own the mooring tackle and probably average $ 200 a season to have it serviced. I keep an inflatable at a nearby dock for another $ 50.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

In Ladysmith, BC we pay $8.85/foot/month plus 12% tax. Canadian dollars, of course, which are currently 78 cents US.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

CA rates are high I have to pay for a 32' boat because of my bowsprit $15.2 ft. = $486 plus $275 liveaboard fee and electric was 8.73 this mo. total about $770. Electric was double last mo. what is usually is ???
Last edited by JD-MDR on Dec 25th, '21, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

[quote="Walter Hobbs"]Here in RI, slips go for 80 to 100 per foot

Are you sure 80 x 30 = $2400. Is that per yr.??
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I'm very fortunate to have a good friend & neighbor (literally across the street from our home) that only charges me 200/month and KAYLA stays in the water year round.
Now, if only I could just stop riding my Harley so much and sail a bit more...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

We pay ~ $180 a month at Cherry Point, NC (Marine Corps Air Station) marina. Electric/water included. It's affordable. On the hard we pay $300 (small boatyard) which includes electric. We can work on our boat and have access to the work shop.

I don't have much fiscal tolerance for excessive marina/boat yard fees on top of already insane insurance premiums. It's far less expensive for us to be out voyaging than at home. A small Ilur, Ian Oughtred, Sharpie, or Sea Pearl design will likely replace the Far Reach at some point.

Seems like a mooring is a great option. Interestingly, there are almost none in NC. I do not know why that is either.

The cost of owning a sailboat has sky rocketed. A trailer sailor seems like a good option.
Seaweed2

Post by Seaweed2 »

Winter storage was about $1200 a couple years ago. You could work on your boat and they supplied the cradle. Electricity and water was also available at no cost. It is an hour for us to get to the boat so working on projects in the off season was not convenient. The yard is close to the Lake Ontario shore and inevitably when the predominant winds shifted in the fall from the west to the northwest the snow, wind, and cold could get pretty severe. Lake effect snow is real!
We decided to have our own cradle built and purchased a deck trailer to bring the boat home at the end of the season. In total, it cost us around $7000 for trailer and cradle but we now have the availability of an open trailer during the summer months and can do projects at home on the boat in the off season. Our 28' CD weighs in at 9000+ but pulls well on a 7 ton trailer. If necessary we can hold off putting the boat in the water and it costs us nothing. That option alone will allow us to keep the boat during lean times or while we are otherwise occupied during a summer without having to spend storage fees.
Additionally, I find it comforting to be able to see the boat regularly. It has helped me to ponder about changes and maintenance items that otherwise might not have come up or been dealt with.
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Craig Curtis
Belmont Harbor, Chicago IL

Post by Craig Curtis »

Craig Curtis
1990 CD 40 "Coalescence"
Belmont Harbor
Chicago, IL
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

In Milwaukee at the County run marina a 35 foot slip is $2,669. Nice facility with water and electric, a dock box, floating docks, and 2 parking passes. My yacht club is cheaper at $1,786 for a 40 foot slip, but damage to the breakwater a couple years ago has not been repaired yet causing a lot of empty slips.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

In New Bedford Harbor, I pay $150 a year for a mooring permit and about $300 every three years for a new top chain
during the mandatory mooring inspection. For haul out and launch, it's about $650 each way from the launch ramp
to my back yard. That includes unstepping the mast and putting it on the yard's trailer alongside the boat.
The mooring is a helix with a 1" bottom chain and a 2,500 lb crane counterweight attached. Top chain is 5/8".- Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Frenchy wrote:In New Bedford Harbor, I pay $150 a year for a mooring permit and about $300 every three years for a new top chain
during the mandatory mooring inspection. For haul out and launch, it's about $650 each way from the launch ramp
to my back yard. That includes unstepping the mast and putting it on the yard's trailer alongside the boat.
The mooring is a helix with a 1" bottom chain and a 2,500 lb crane counterweight attached. Top chain is 5/8".- Jean
That's sound ideal.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Here in Fairfield, CT: $450 each year for a town mooring that includes a dinghy dock.
The mooring includes access to a nearby yacht club dock that provides fuel, pump out, and water.
It is a wonderful and sheltered small harbor - Southport Harbor.
I was on the waiting list for 10 years before a spot became available and that was only because of some moorings being added, otherwise a typical wait would be 15 years plus.
Felicity_July_2020_1.jpg
The town marina would be about $1,800 per year including electric. A really nice marina with fuel, water, pump out, and ships store. This was 10 years on the waiting list as well. My spot came up but I prefer the mooring in the harbor.

The area's commercial marinas charge about $150 per foot for the Summer (April through November).
We (painfully) paid for that for a few years for our former boat - Sea Sprite 23.

For the off season I pay $2,100 ($72 per foot) for haul out, power wash, land storage, and relaunch in Spring. Mast unstepping not included that would be $25 per foot of mast each way (sep. charges for up and down). I don't often drop the mast. The marina provides water and power and you are free to do pretty much any work that you like.
Bottom_Paint_1.JPG
I'm fortunate to live in a town that provides exceptionally good town moorings and a town marina.
The town provides Winter wet storage at the marina for $500 for the off season but I've yet to try that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

All of those fees seem pretty well inline, EXCEPT the mast pulling at $25/foot. That is outrageous. We have a private crane truck come to the harbor and pull our 49' mast for a flat $225. Are you allowed to pull your mast on your own?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27