Differences between CD 27, 28, and 30?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Re: Differences between CD 27, 28, and 30?

Post by mgphl52 »

As for "space in the cockpit"... I have got to say it all depends on HOW you are sailing!

If you are racing (been there, done that, got the trophies) then 2 on a Typhoon is great, 3 people on a CD25 is ideal, and on a CD28, 4 people work great for racing.

However, if you just want to go out sailing, it all depends on their size, weight and if they can move when needed!
I have been sailing on a Typhoon with 4 other folks and no problems.

We have also taken KAYLA out with with 10, "Yes, 10!" guests and had a nice easy sail. And no, they weren't all "in the cockpit" several were on the coach roof an a couple at the bow.

Weather conditions will, of course, change some of these factors but it all depends on how you want to sail.

My biggest "brag" in this are is taking anybody that wants to sail out sailing.
Many of those "newbies" have gone on to buy their own sailboats!

Bottom line: Don't let others convince you that one boat is too big or another is too small... find what you want & enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As for "space in the cockpit"... I have got to say it all depends on HOW you are sailing!

If you are racing (been there, done that, got the trophies) then 2 on a Typhoon is great, 3 people on a CD25 is ideal, and on a CD28, 4 people work great for racing.

However, if you just want to go out sailing, it all depends on their size, weight and if they can move when needed!
I have been sailing on a Typhoon with 4 other folks and no problems.

We have also taken KAYLA out with with 10, "Yes, 10!" guests and had a nice easy sail. And no, they weren't all "in the cockpit" several were on the coach roof an a couple at the bow.

Weather conditions will, of course, change some of these factors but it all depends on how you want to sail.

My biggest "brag" in this area is taking anybody that wants to sail out sailing.
Many of those "newbies" have gone on to buy their own sailboats!

Bottom line: Don't let others convince you that one boat is too big or another is too small... find what you want & enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
TJH

Post by TJH »

I certainly won't let others dictate what I ultimately buy (too stubborn for that), but I do appreciate the input from those that have sailed different models. By the time I make a decision, I will at least have been aboard a 25, 27, 28 and 30, so I should have a better sense at the end of that. Really appreciate all the help--I've learned a ton from this group already by just reading lots of past posts.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I have had an enjoyable day on my 27 with 4 adults, 2 kids and 2 small dogs. Very crowded but fun dropping the hook for lunch.
Only did that ONCE. Most of the time I single hand. Could cruise to Block Island and Nantucket from Narragansett Bay but most comfortable with 2 people.

I think the key is to think how you will really use the boat. The smaller boat is better for me because it is cheaper to maintain. There was a time I thought my wife and kids would love to sail, but that is not the case. Therefore the 27 is best for me.

One other thing. Look at as many boats as you can. No two Cape Dorys are exactly the same. I am happy with my boat but I wish I looked a little longer before I purchased her. Mine is a '77, the later boats have a few minor refinements that I would have enjoyed.

Have fun, great boats.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

One thing that really worked well for us in choosing a boat was, if you can get on it either under the shrink wrap or in the water, to simply stand behind the helm and imagine bringing it into the slip or to the mooring. My wife and sailing partner did this and even though we never had sailed a 33, felt good about sailing one. We had plenty of chartering experience and a much smaller CD (Typhoon) so knew just enough to think we we we'd be right about knowing.

I am a little embarrassed to say the CD33 wasn't on our short list (Didn't think we'd afford one.) until we said what the hell, let's go look at this one while we are out here - and she really liked how it felt behind the wheel. Obviously, I did too.

If possible, before you make a hard choice of a specific model to pursue and even if not for sale or you can't sail them, try to visit a couple and see how it feels at the tiller/wheel and imagine bringing it into dock with a stiff wind. Good stuff.

Of course then you can also get an idea for the room below, anchor layout etc.

Good luck. These are all great boats; you'll likely find more options for the 28 or 30.
Paul
CDSOA Member
TJH

Post by TJH »

Just a note of thanks to everyone for providing their thoughts. Ended up buying a CD30 in Massachusetts and shipping to the midwest. As expected, that wasn't cheap or free from logistical hurdles, but the boat is now stepped and rigged and we should be sailing soon. I asked the rigger to put everything as close to original as possible (as opposed to dropping the jib boom in place of just the genoa on the roller, which I understand some prefer), mostly so I could learn the boat as intended and then make decisions from there. I'm sure I'll be back asking for more advice soon, but in the meantime, thank you all again.

And here's one rainy pic!

TJH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Congrats TJH,

I have owned my CD30C for 10 nears now it is a 1979 hill #134. What year is yours? Let me know if you have any questions.

Keith