Diesel Jug Recommendation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tod Mills

Re: Diesel Jug Recommendation

Post by Tod Mills »

I have used this type for about the past 10 yrs, filled and emptied multiple times each year, four in yellow for diesel and at least five in red for gasoline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Tod Mills wrote:I have used this type for about the past 10 yrs, filled and emptied multiple times each year, four in yellow for diesel and at least five in red for gasoline.

Thanks Tod. Of the EPA spouts I have seen that one seems the best, most reliable, least frustrating to use. But there does not seem to be a way to remove the spout and secure the jug with a regular robust cap for rugged transport. The jugs have a rough life out voyaging and making trips to/from docks and beaches in a hard dinghy.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

John Stone wrote:
Tod Mills wrote:I have used this type for about the past 10 yrs, filled and emptied multiple times each year, four in yellow for diesel and at least five in red for gasoline.

Thanks Tod. Of the EPA spouts I have seen that one seems the best, most reliable, least frustrating to use. But there does not seem to be a way to remove the spout and secure the jug with a regular robust cap for rugged transport. The jugs have a rough life out voyaging and making trips to/from docks and beaches in a hard dinghy.
I've had them fall a couple feet to the ground at 5+ mph, tumbling end for end, no leaks. I can tell you what happens in that case, if the cap is not rotated so the spout is facing back: the white spout cracks where it fits onto the yellow plastic. A simple hose clamp fixes that, good as new.
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Been thinking about a something like the Tuff Jug. Comes with just the cap and no pour spout, though you can buy one separately. Seems like it would be durable.

https://www.tuffjug.com/products/tuff-jugs.html
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

Those look nice! Regular caps for transport and one ripper cap for filling.

https://youtu.be/i07DdY9T9GA
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

These jugs get very good reviews. Solid cap. Seems like it would work well with the jiggle value being described.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=2558
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Below is a link to a PDF on the Pegasus fuel jug. Interesting. Sounds very robust. Can get replacement caps and gaskets. Less than $25. I might give this a try.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/2021/050.pdf
RWilker
CD-28
Portsmouth, RI

Post by RWilker »

Expensive, but works well and doesn't leak

https://www.surecanusa.com/product-page ... el-surecan
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I ended up purchasing the VP Racing 5 gallon jug in diesel yellow. Comes with a pour spout but seems to work great just unscrewing the huge mouth and opening the vent. It seems well made, easy to fill and carry, and also fits into the port locker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Hi John,, Do you stow fuel in those jugs while they are in the locker.. just wondering cuz when I had an inspection they advised me not to do that so I was planning to carry extra fuel in jugs on the deck.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:Hi John,, Do you stow fuel in those jugs while they are in the locker.. just wondering cuz when I had an inspection they advised me not to do that so I was planning to carry extra fuel in jugs on the deck.
That's a good question. I don't carry fuel on deck unless it's a 2 gallon jug of outboard engine gas. I strap it in the cockpit. I have the 5 gal diesel jug for ferrying diesel to the boat from a fuel dock. My thinking is I don't carry extra diesel unless I am making a specific motorized movement, say motoring up the ICW through the Dismal Swamp Canal, a planned movement without fuel stops and not really possible to sail. I would then probably carry it full in the locker as pictured. It's secure. Less likely to cause me harm. Add the fuel to the tank as soon as I am down 5 gallons in main diesel tanks. Then, stow the empty jug in the locker. It's diesel. It's pretty safe. I would not stow gas below decks though. I don't see unythink unsafe about it. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not a fan of numerous jugs strapped to the deck like I see done so often. It's a sailboat. I'm sailing. If no wind I'm drifting waiting for wind. Reading. Washing laundry. Making coffee. Why do people need ten jugs of diesel strapped to the deck to sail to the Virgin Islands? It's too much weight up high in the boat. It's in the way of clear deck movement. It's in the way of jib sheets. Can you imagine being hove-to with a trys'l in 45 kts of wind and 15' seas with fuel jugs strapped to the deck? I don't get it....
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:
JD-MDR wrote:Hi John,, Do you stow fuel in those jugs while they are in the locker.. just wondering cuz when I had an inspection they advised me not to do that so I was planning to carry extra fuel in jugs on the deck.
That's a good question. I don't carry fuel on deck unless it's a 2 gallon jug of outboard engine gas. I strap it in the cockpit. I have the jug for ferrying diesel to the boat from a fuel dock. My thinking is I don't carry extra diesel unless I am making a specific motorized movement, say motoring up the ICW through the Dismal Swamp Canal, a planned movement without fuel stops and not really possible to sail. I would then probably carry it full in the locker as pictured. It's secure. Less likely to cause me harm. Add the fuel to the tank as soon as I am down 5 gallons in main diesel tanks. Then, stow the empty jug in the locker. It's diesel. It's pretty safe. I would not stow gas below decks though. I don't see unythink unsafe about it. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not a fan of numerous jugs strapped to the deck like I see done so often. It's a sailboat. I'm sailing. If no wind I'm drifting waiting for wind. Reading. Washing laundry. Making coffee. Why do people need ten jugs of diesel strapped to the deck to sail to the Virgin Islands? It's too much weight up high in the boat. It's in the way of clear deck movement. It's in the way of jib sheets. Can you imagine being hove-to with a trys'l in 45 kts of wind and 15' seas with fuel jugs strapped to the deck? I don't get it....
I’ve never stored water or fuel tanks on the side decks either. My propane tank is mounted on a bracket on my stern rail and right beside it securely fastened to the aft deck is my 2.5 gallon gas can for the outboard. I think those can be unsightly so I have sunbrella covers on them which match all my other canvas work. I also have a matching cover for my little Honda 2.5 so he won’t feel left out.
When I do the run to Bermuda I bring a couple 5 gallon jugs and they are securely stored in my starboard cockpit locker. I’ve never had an issue with them and I’ve been to Bermuda five times with them.
I bring one 5 gallon jug of water which is also stored in a cockpit locker just in case I have to jump in the life raft some day.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time