Diesel Jug Recommendation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Diesel Jug Recommendation

Post by John Stone »

I need a tough 5 gallon jug to transport diesel fuel. Something reliable that doesn’t have an aggravating hard to use EPA spout that ends up pouring fuel all over the deck.

I won’t sail with a full jug. It’s for transporting fuel from the fuel dock to the boat. When it’s empty, if it’s air tight, I can stow it below deck in a cockpit locker.

I looked at a number of different ones from No-Spill (yes, I know, goofy spout) to tuff jugs to racing jugs. What are folks using and what has been your experience with them?
LeeMurdy

Re: Diesel Jug Recommendation

Post by LeeMurdy »

John if you find a jug you like, except for the EPA guaranteed-to-spill-spout, Tractor Supply sells replacement spout kits that can turn the jug back into a reliable tool to carry and transfer fuel. The kit contains a vent that you can install into the jug, but that vent needs the right can geometry to work. By that I mean there must be a flat, sensibly located spot for you to drill the required hole to insert the vent assembly. Fortunately, the spout kits are in the same aisle as the jugs, so you can study the jugs with the spout/vent components in hand.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

LeeMurdy wrote:John if you find a jug you like, except for the EPA guaranteed-to-spill-spout, Tractor Supply sells replacement spout kits that can turn the jug back into a reliable tool to carry and transfer fuel. The kit contains a vent that you can install into the jug, but that vent needs the right can geometry to work. By that I mean there must be a flat, sensibly located spot for you to drill the required hole to insert the vent assembly. Fortunately, the spout kits are in the same aisle as the jugs, so you can study the jugs with the spout/vent components in hand.
I have seen those mods on You Tube. I have a couple jugs with those EPA spouts and I loath them like probably all of us do. Is that what you did? We’re you happy with it? I wonder how air tight they are after the modification.... I’d sure like to be able to stow the empty jug in a locker without diesel smell. Not sure if that’s a reasonable idea.
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I can’t stand those spouts. I uses a rattle siphon so I don’t have to mess with them. Works great. I can’t offer much on a good container, but with a rattle siphon you could choose just about any air tight sealing container meant for chemicals even if it doesn’t have a spout.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

I use:

Midwest Can 8600 5 Gallon Diesel Can

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Can-8600 ... 325&sr=8-2

with different Cap:

EZ-Pour Gas Can Cap

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Can-Cap-Repl ... 20&sr=8-25

A jiggler pump for transferring diesel into the tank:

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-prim ... 47334.html
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I use Scepter brand five gallon diesel jugs. They have had to comply with the regulations concerning spouts so the design has changed to suit the latest trend over the years. I don’t use the spouts anyway although I have a plain old spout just in case. I always use a rattle/jiggle siphon tube to transfer fuel.....they are just great and you don’t spill a drop.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:I use Scepter brand five gallon diesel jugs. They have had to comply with the regulations concerning spouts so the design has changed to suit the latest trend over the years. I don’t use the spouts anyway although I have a plain old spout just in case. I always use a rattle/jiggle siphon tube to transfer fuel.....they are just great and you don’t spill a drop.
I stopped by TSC today and looked at their jugs and the easy pour spout. So now I have seen them.

When you guys say rattle siphon are you talking about one of these? I bought it awhile back but have not used it yet. Comes with the rattle, a big accessory squeeze bulb, and a clip to hold it into a bucket. I think we used something similar to drain fish tanks long time ago.

How do you store it after you have used it?

Thanks much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I have 2 of these for gas and 1 for diesel. I love these cans. I have not bought anymore of the plastic junk since. Will last you the rest of your life if you keep salt water off it. Dee

https://www.colsafety.com/justrite-type ... 00-7250220
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

John,

I use the little 2 gallon gas jugs (2 - “red” but the plastic is the same as “yellow”) but ditched the epa spouts for caps that I scrounged from older jugs. I have a no-splash funnel that came with the boat - fits into my spartan deck fill perfectly. I find it easier to pack two 2 gallon jugs into my limited locker space than a 5 gallon jug and much easier to handle which helps avoid spills. I usually don’t carry extra fuel but do stow the empty jugs in the lazaret. I go 4.4 knots at 2000 rpm and just don’t use much fuel. I used to run a little faster but I like how the motor sounds right at about 2k. I think the spec for my Beta 14 is about a liter an hour at 2k which seems about right ... ie hard to notice. That’s the best thing about the Moeller main tank... you just look.

Fred

Ps The plastic really is the same. I have never seen 2 gallon in yellow and I wanted small jugs so I just got red .. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=home+de ... ENH6j-CBpM
Last edited by fmueller on Apr 20th, '21, 21:49, edited 3 times in total.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

My rattle siphon gadget is small enough that I coil it up and store it in the plastic bag it came in, and that goes in a large tuperware style container. That goes in a third plastic container with the rest of the engine knick knacks like as spare filter, oil absorbing mats, impellors, etc. It's a small engine, so none of this takes up much space.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:John,

I use the little 2 gallon gas jugs (2 - “red” but the plastic is the same as “yellow”) but ditched the epa spouts for caps that I scrounged from older jugs. I have a no-splash funnel that came with the boat - fits into my spartan deck fill perfectly. I find it easier to pack two 2 gallon jugs into my limited locker space than a 5 gallon jug and much easier to handle which helps avoid spills. I usually don’t carry extra fuel but do stow the empty jugs in the lazaret. I go 4.4 knots at 2000 rpm and just don’t use much fuel. I used to run a little faster but I like how the motor sounds right at about 2k. I think the spec for my Beta 14 is about a liter an hour at 2k which seems about right ... ie hard to notice. That’s the best thing about the Moeller main tank... you just look.

Fred

Ps The plastic really is the same. I have never seen 2 gallon in yellow and I wanted small jugs so I just got red .. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=home+de ... ENH6j-CBpM
Fred. Good info. I carried two of those same jugs for my outboard. I had white covers made for them out of HD stamoid.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

csoule13 wrote:My rattle siphon gadget is small enough that I coil it up and store it in the plastic bag it came in, and that goes in a large tuperware style container. That goes in a third plastic container with the rest of the engine knick knacks like as spare filter, oil absorbing mats, impellors, etc. It's a small engine, so none of this takes up much space.
Good info. What diameter hose works best. I wouldn’t want to overflow the funnel.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:I use Scepter brand five gallon diesel jugs. They have had to comply with the regulations concerning spouts so the design has changed to suit the latest trend over the years. I don’t use the spouts anyway although I have a plain old spout just in case. I always use a rattle/jiggle siphon tube to transfer fuel.....they are just great and you don’t spill a drop.

When you guys say rattle siphon are you talking about one of these? I bought it awhile back but have not used it yet. Comes with the rattle, a big accessory squeeze bulb, and a clip to hold it into a bucket. I think we used something similar to drain fish tanks long time ago.

How do you store it after you have used it?

Thanks much.
Yes, that’s a rattle siphon. Mine lives in a contractor bag with a long neck funnel also contaminated with diesel. This way the diesel stuff is in one container and can’t get friendly with anything else. Diesel is near impossible to clean off any surface. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
I always have a couple spare rattle siphons. They are essential gear once you’ve used them the first time.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
LeeMurdy

Post by LeeMurdy »

John the Tractor Supply spout kits I have used work great. Same as the old style fuel cans with regular spouts and vents. The only issue is you want to install the vent at a high point in the can that stays high as you pour. regarding those siphon arrangements, I use a hand pump to drain my engine oil and store the hoses straight (not coiled) in a capped length of pvc pipe. Storing the hoses straight, instead of coiled, makes them a whole lot more user friendly when put into service.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

LeeMurdy wrote:store the hoses straight (not coiled) in a capped length of pvc pipe. Storing the hoses straight, instead of coiled, makes them a whole lot more user friendly when put into service.
That seems like a very clever idea. Thanks for sharing that info.