Could I connect a S2000 autopilot direclty to bank battery

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Could I connect a S2000 autopilot direclty to bank battery

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi
I tried to connect the electrical cables that connect to the Raymarine S2000 autopilot’s connector to the DC distribution panel of my CD25D. But I could not figure out how to do it. Would like to know if anyone has tried to connect it directly to the battery with a 12 A fuse for protection.

Thanks
Carlos
Kailua Kid

Re: Could I connect a S2000 autopilot direclty to bank batt

Post by Kailua Kid »

Carlos:Of course you can connect direct to the house battery, but for a couple reasons that is not the recommended set up, even if fused (and especially if you have any other connections to electrical or electronic equipment on that battery).
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Thanks!!!. I just thought one can use some kind of marine thermal circuit breaker connected to one of the battery bank and connect the S2000 autopilot's cables from there. I guess will need to deal with that bunch of entangled wires in the distribution panel.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Carlos, because autopilots use more power they usually have their own circuit. I have mine on the same circuit as the instruments but I have very little power as my instruments on that circuit are few and create minimal draw. Plus my chart plotter, probably the biggest draw, is on a separate 12v plug circuit. Either way it is good to have it wired through the panel with the right side wires for the load and distance round trip. Autopilot positive wiring would be light green.

Our CD electrical installations were one of the less 'tastefully' done systems of the brand, but I've found them generally solid. Good luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Thanks Paul!!! I might end up adding an additional panel (subpanel). Just need to figure out how to do it.
Carlos
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I have my ST 2000 wired directly to the battery. It is on fused line. It and my bilge pump are not connected through the master switch and the circuits are always "live" . Works for me.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Keith

Post by Keith »

Walter Hobbs wrote:I have my ST 2000 wired directly to the battery. It is on fused line. It and my bilge pump are not connected through the master switch and the circuits are always "live" . Works for me.
Hi Walter,

Just curious what the reasoning is for keeping the Autopilot live at all times. The bilge pump I understand if you use an automatic activating switch.

Keith
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Here is what I did and it worked well for 19 years. Tap into a low load circuit like the one that lights up the compass or similar. I did this and it worked fine for along time. Use larger dia wire to minimize voltage drop. The area behind the panel will always be a rats nest, forget it and direct wiring to battery has its own problems
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi
Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. That's what I like the most from this board , their great feedback.
Carlos