New bow sprit

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ghockaday

Re: New bow sprit

Post by ghockaday »

That was well done and pretty, You have some extra stainless support on the pulpit also. Looks to be close to 2 inches also.
Dee
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

bowsprit2.png
bowsprit2.png (696.28 KiB) Viewed 640 times
bowsprit.png
bowsprit.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 640 times
Here is my original and the makings of a new teak laminate one
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

JD-MDR wrote:
bowsprit2.png
bowsprit.png
Here is my original and the makings of a new teak laminate one
Your original looks like mine. It is defiantly not teak.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I'm my boat shop, we use osage orange or black locust in place of teak.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

tvangilder wrote:I'm my boat shop, we use osage orange or black locust in place of teak.
I have not run across them but John Stone mentioned the Black Locust. Where are you located?
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

John Stone wrote:
ghockaday wrote:Not definitive proof but every CD 30 that I have looked at looks are exactly the same. Not just oak, same design as well. So not really positive. But assumed?????

Is the fir that you have in NC, consistently good or would I need to drive down and pick through it. Of course then I'd have the drive down in a truck that get 15 mpg and take a day off from work.

I'll post on the open board and see if anyone has seen something other than oak.
The quality of specific lumber varies from shipment to shipment. You would have to look at it yourself. I have bought DF from them and it was good. But I always pick through the wood I purchase.

I would be astounded if the wood you want is not available in your area. From Baltimore to the Tidewater area there is a rich boat building heritage. In line I found Yukon Lumber.

http://www.yukonlumber.com/

Don’t know a thing about them. But, if you have not talked to them it would be a good place to start. If they don’t have what you want maybe they can give you a lead. Also there is a maritime museum in Norfolk area. Try them for a lead. On the Glen L website they have a list in each state that sells marine grade ply and hardwood. None of my sources, that have lots of great wood, are on their list. My point is there is a lot of wood out there you just have to find it. You might look for boat builders in VA and try them.

Of course I mill all my own wood so that gives me a lot of flexibility. Since you don’t have that option kt definitely makes your project more complicated. Lots of communities have wood fellowships and co-ops that have wood shops available to members. I joined one 16 years ago when I was stationed in PA for a year. I learned a ton there and didn’t cost me a thing but my time.

Lots of options. Some better than others.
I am going to head down to Norfolk and see what Yukon has. No one will return phone calls or respond to email for quotes I most of the places that I have contacted. I guess I should not tell them how little I want. Yukon has a pretty short list of hard woods. They do have Teak , Honduran Mahogany and African Mahogany. Dee
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I have been researching black locust, it glues very well, can be hard to work with. I think that is also a local tree. I lot of folks use them to make rail fence in the Western part of the state. Runs about 6.73 per board foot. Seems a little high? Most rot resistant and strongest wood in the US. Found a place in NC. AND they return phone calls.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

ghockaday wrote:I have been researching black locust, it glues very well, can be hard to work with. I think that is also a local tree. I lot of folks use them to make rail fence in the Western part of the state. Runs about 6.73 per board foot. Seems a little high? Most rot resistant and strongest wood in the US. Found a place in NC. AND they return phone calls.
Black locust would be a great choice if it’s of good quality. Larry Pardey framed Taleisin with black locust. He could have used any wood he wanted. She has Burmese teak planking on Black locust frames.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

John Stone wrote:
ghockaday wrote:I have been researching black locust, it glues very well, can be hard to work with. I think that is also a local tree. I lot of folks use them to make rail fence in the Western part of the state. Runs about 6.73 per board foot. Seems a little high? Most rot resistant and strongest wood in the US. Found a place in NC. AND they return phone calls.
Black locust would be a great choice if it’s of good quality. Larry Pardey framed Taleisin with black locust. He could have used any wood he wanted. She has Burmese teak planking on Black locust frames.
and I broke down and got a planer. Gives me options on other wood working projects as well. I am calling them tomorrow. It is listed as number 1 common. From the pictures of the lumber used in almost every picture is virtually clear. I don't think it is commercially grown, that would be a plus. The tree itself is the fasting growing hardwood so I don't think it will have a lot of rings per inch.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Can also buy engineered and glued, the testing is pretty impressive.
BLACK LOCUST GLULAMS $9 per board foot, fill 2 x 12, no waste, glued under tremendous pressure that I can't do. I am going to ask them about water proof. Of course I don't want if it is made like OSB.
Here is the link, looks like strips and not chips. I will ask about tomorrow.

https://robidecking.com/products/glulams/

Something that I thought about though is the beams are engineered to be strong vertically.
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

After much searching I found, I think some suitable fir for my bow sprit. They had 4, 2 by 6 by 10 and about 5 other assorted 2 inch rough boards. I bought the two best 2 by 6, one would have done it but when you look a long time for something it doesn't hurt to add a little to your stash. Both boards are about the same.
Douglas Fir.jpg
Douglas Fir.jpg (523.04 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

ghockaday wrote:After much searching I found, I think some suitable fir for my bow sprit. They had 4, 2 by 6 by 10 and about 5 other assorted 2 inch rough boards. I bought the two best 2 by 6, one would have done it but when you look a long time for something it doesn't hurt to add a little to your stash. Both boards are about the same.
Douglas Fir.jpg

That’s some nice looking grain. Can’t see the rest of the wood but if it looks as good as that picture you should be good to go! Doug fir smells great when you work it. My friend Kaj Jacobson built the interior of his 34’ Lyle Hess cutter with vertical V groove staving and it’s spectacular. Douglas fir is vastly under related for boat building.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

The fewest rings I have counted are 25 per inch, I can't count the ones very close. Both are straight as arrows and there is not a single knot. I may get it ripped today or tomorrow while I'm still out on Covid pay. dee
Douglas Fir 2.jpg
Douglas Fir 2.jpg (531.32 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Oooh. Nice. Gives me goose bumps just looking at it.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

John Stone wrote:Oooh. Nice. Gives me goose bumps just looking at it.
I just have to do it justice. Dee
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30