Locating anchor rollers and windlass on new bowsprit

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bethbrownebooks

Locating anchor rollers and windlass on new bowsprit

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Hi everyone!!

My CD 28 lost her sprit, so I am starting from scratch. Carpenter helping me has the idea to move the rollers aft for easier access, so I am not leaning out over the sprit wrestling with the headstay and possibly a hanked-on sail if I need to get to the anchor.

But I am now looking at a manual windlass, which means the chain has to come straight back to the windlass. I am thinking this means the rollers will have to go straight off the end of the sprit and lead back to the windlass mounted where the deck hole is now.

Is it possible to have the covered deck hole or does it just need to be an open hole under the gypsy with no cover!

All input gratefully appreciated! The windlass is a Lofrans Royal.

TIA!!
BernieA

Re: Locating anchor rollers and windlass on new bowsprit

Post by BernieA »

I replaced my CD28 bowsprit a few months ago and have a Lewmar Fisherman 700 windlass mounted on the sprit. The rode and chain drop straight down through a hole that's about 3 square inches. The chain locker drains to the bilge so I don't worry much about water getting in there. I have a bow roller mounted of the front of the sprit. The roller has a hoop over it to keep the chain or rode from jumping out if we're bouncing around in an anchorage. When I'm not sailing, my hard dinghy sits atop the windlass and keeps that area dry.
Bow Sprit.jpg
Bow Sprit.jpg (4.8 MiB) Viewed 308 times
Bethbrownebooks

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Hi Bernie!

Thanks so much! This is very helpful!! What is the protective plate made from?

Beth
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Here is a post from a while ago. He has the rollers off the sprit like you mentioned. PM him, (Jim/ Wikakaru) and ask how its working out and I think he has a manual windlass.. I have the same setup as Bernie with the Lewmar windlass. I keep a canvass cover on it and don't have any problem with water getting in the locker.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-12-22 The Cape Dory Board • View topic - Leoma update 8 20.png
Screenshot_2020-12-22 The Cape Dory Board • View topic - Leoma update 8 20.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 291 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have a different set up than a stock boat. But the attached picture gives an idea about alignment. It’s is critical to making the system work effortlessly.

Your going to use a Nylon snubber once your anchor is set. If you can lead it over the end of the sprit, or offset to a block under the kranze iron like I do, then you won’t have to worry about chafe of the snubber on the bobstay.

I have a sunbrella cover I keep over the windlass. That’s all I use except when I am offshore. Then I detach the chain and seal the chain pipe (spurling pipe as Todd Mills has taught us) with a bronze cover.

Never had any water ingress.
Attachments
EC936BB6-E86E-49F7-8A61-EB9A3EBAF000.jpeg
EC936BB6-E86E-49F7-8A61-EB9A3EBAF000.jpeg (407.08 KiB) Viewed 278 times
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

Beth,
The protective plate was on the old bowsprit that I replaced. It is a chunk of plastic about 1/2 inch thick. to protect the wood beneath it, I bedded the screws in sealant.