Leoma update 12/6/20

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma update 12/6/20

Post by JD-MDR »

Got my newly rebuilt v-drive in and went out up to San Miquel Island and to Pt. Conception. On the last day going home all the bolts broke on the shaft coupling . I motored myself in the 15 miles with the inflatable tied to the side. It was flat calm with zero wind. I decided to let the yard guys realign it. I thought I had it good but I guess not good enough plus I reused the old bolts.Stupid, too lazy to go out for new ones. The mechanic says he cant get the alignment perfect. The old mounts don't have a vertical adjustment and the sideways slots need more. Whatever, I decided to get new motor mounts . I knew that at least two of the bolt holes in the stringers were a little stripped so that will be fixed as well.
Since the boatyard is so busy and "Leoma" will be disabled for a few weeks I decided to send the worm drive steering gear in to Edson to be remachined . I've been waiting three weeks and haven't heard from them so I called . I was told they bundle all the worm drive gears up to work on in Jan and Feb So they can do all their casting at the same time. I wish they would've told me that before. So I'm putting together a temporary tiller. Here is some photos of a wood mock up. I wonder what I should make the real one with. I don't want to spend much but I don't want it to be too crude. It does have to be pretty Skokum. I know if I ever need it again it will probably happen in rough weather One good thing : I can easily hook my windvane steering to it.
I just ran into a neighbor and he said he owns a machine shop and will build it for me tomorrow no charge . I told him I will help him solve some plumbing problems he's having on his Catalina 30. I thought of bolting a 1" disc to the existing flange and weld a 1-1/2" pipe for the tiller. He mentioned something about carbon fiber. I don't want to get carried away . I don't expect to ever use it again.
Attachments
IMG-0736.JPG
IMG-0736.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG-0737.JPG
IMG-0737.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 337 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Leoma update 12/6/20

Post by John Stone »

That’s some adventure you’re having. I agree with your feelings about Edson. That seems like a real mistake on their part. Course they’re way up yonder in NE and probably think the sailing season is over.

Sorry to hear about the coupling. Dang.

Well, you know what I’m going to say about that tiller. So I won’t say it.... LOL.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Everyone must think I'm really dumb. That's not the tiller. It's just a mock up showing the angle and the bolt pattern that I need.
I'm not converting because Then I would have to carry a emergency wheel and a bunch of cables and blocks in case the tiller broke
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:Everyone must think I'm really dumb. That's not the tiller. It's just a mock up showing the angle and the bolt pattern that I need.
I'm not converting because Then I would have to carry a emergency wheel and a bunch of cables and blocks in case the tiller broke
:D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Axe handles and scythe handles ( called snags) can be converted into very nice tillers.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:Everyone must think I'm really dumb. That's not the tiller. It's just a mock up showing the angle and the bolt pattern that I need.
I think you mistake my meaning. I had no thought the picture depicted anything other than a mock up. I have great confidence in your ability to engineer your protects. I was only suggesting the tiller set up could solve a lot of challenges you have faced over the last couple years.

Drive on buddy as we say in the Marines.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Always enjoy reading your posts, J.D.- plenty of stark reality mixed in with a dash of humor. One little iota
of error, the misalignment, snowballed into a small disaster. That's the kind of thing that's happened to me and
probably most of us. You can't ever say "Ah-that's good enough" - because it won't be.
I recently helped sail an old, dilapidated Pearson Vanguard across Buzzard's Bay and the three of us on board
all noticed, I'm sure, that the bow fitting on the dinghy was loose. The seas were rough, the weather cold and
we had no food, no toilet and a transmission that would only work in reverse. So there were plenty of other
thoughts rattling around; grumblings in our bellies.
Well, you guessed it- the dinghy floated off in the night during a calm while anchored in Mattapoisett harbor.
We never saw it again. We had to call a boatyard to get to shore.
Anyway, like John Stone says, keep trucking. I must be wonderful to sail year-round. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

:D :D :D Thanks everyone.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510