Wheel to tiller conversion

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

camroll

Wheel to tiller conversion

Post by camroll »

I am in the process of converting from the wheel to a tiller on my CD 36 "Nutmeg". I have removed the pedestal and all the gear attached to it. I bought an 8 1/2" shaft extension which will connect to the rudder shaft where the emergency tiller would attach. I bit the bullet and bought the Edson coupler after looking for many months for another alternative. I had debated a steel coupler but the Edson bronze one was only $100 more. I did manage to find the tiller straps and rudder head at a consignment shop for a modest fee. I am now having keyways machined into the shaft extension. I made a tiller out of milled oak and ash.
Here is the mock up of the tiller head on the rudder shaft
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifkb9cfvjzwtu ... 3.jpg?dl=0

Here is the build of the tiller and the final product
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn1goqkvt2ssm ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxcw6i6ciaw12 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

Russ
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Wheel to tiller conversion

Post by John Stone »

Excellent work Russ. Looks good.

You’ll be happy with the Edson coupler.

Pull that bronze cover plate off. You may have some core damage if it was not sealed. You need to have a strong cover plate to support the top end of the extension.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Nice tiller build. I am doing the same, but I have so many projects half done, I bought a tiller from a place in Idaho, of all places. They did a good job and not terribly expensive.
I am looking at your mockup and I am wondering how you plan to plug that big hole where the bronze cover plate goes. I talked with John Stone and did the same thing. I made a plate from G10 and the tube I wrapped 3 inch glass tape. John used a drill press to get the angle, I used a pair of 2x6 angle cut as guides for an electric drill and a hole saw. It seems to be fine on the mockup, I haven’t put it all together permanently. I’ll finish in the spring.
Attachments
3E50919D-10EE-4ED5-B834-11C6446EBF2D.png
3E50919D-10EE-4ED5-B834-11C6446EBF2D.png (813.87 KiB) Viewed 395 times
camroll

Post by camroll »

Nice, I'm glad to hear someone else is doing this. Not that I have any doubts about it. I plan to glue together some teak boards to make a similar platform to cover the hole. I haven't drilled the hole yet but I have a drill press which I will probably utilize. I did happen to have a fiberglass tube from another project that will fit right in there. So once you screw done that cover plate the only way to access the coupler is from underneath correct? I am debating making the cover in two pieces so I can take everything out from the top. Not that I should ever have to I guess. Are you using 45 degrees as the angle of the shaft when you cut the hole?
I just got my shaft back from the machinist to have the two key ways cut into it.
What will you do about mounting a chartplotter? And what about the engine controls?
Take care
Russ
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

camroll wrote:Nice, I'm glad to hear someone else is doing this. Not that I have any doubts about it. I plan to glue together some teak boards to make a similar platform to cover the hole. I haven't drilled the hole yet but I have a drill press which I will probably utilize. I did happen to have a fiberglass tube from another project that will fit right in there. So once you screw done that cover plate the only way to access the coupler is from underneath correct? I am debating making the cover in two pieces so I can take everything out from the top. Not that I should ever have to I guess. Are you using 45 degrees as the angle of the shaft when you cut the hole?
I just got my shaft back from the machinist to have the two key ways cut into it.
What will you do about mounting a chartplotter? And what about the engine controls?
Take care
Russ
I don’t have any instrumentation in the cockpit except a compass. I’ve sailed over 8,000 miles in the FR since our rebuild without a chart plotter in the cockpit. I use paper charts. I don’t even have a depth sounder. Having said that, now that I am finally installing a small diesel I may add a depth sounder. Im thinking in it.

Though each sailor has to figure out what works best for him or her, for me the less I have in the cockpit the less I’m distracted. The less I’m destructed with stuff in the cockpit the more I pay attention to what’s going on outside the boat. The more I am focused on the wind, waves, sails and boat trim the more enjoyment I get from sailing.

There is no one way for everyone...just the way that’s right for you.

...and I’m happy to see the larger Cape Dorys converting from wheel to tiller. That’s awesome.
Attachments
AEB0B1F6-74AC-464D-9BA6-79934AF08E93.jpeg
AEB0B1F6-74AC-464D-9BA6-79934AF08E93.jpeg (525.25 KiB) Viewed 377 times
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

John,
I love that picture! One of the next projects for our CD36 is moving the main sheet from the cabintop to the cockpit!
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

camroll wrote:I am in the process of converting from the wheel to a tiller on my CD 36 "Nutmeg". I have removed the pedestal and all the gear attached to it. I bought an 8 1/2" shaft extension which will connect to the rudder shaft where the emergency tiller would attach. I bit the bullet and bought the Edson coupler after looking for many months for another alternative. I had debated a steel coupler but the Edson bronze one was only $100 more. I did manage to find the tiller straps and rudder head at a consignment shop for a modest fee. I am now having keyways machined into the shaft extension. I made a tiller out of milled oak and ash.
Here is the mock up of the tiller head on the rudder shaft
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifkb9cfvjzwtu ... 3.jpg?dl=0

Here is the build of the tiller and the final product
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn1goqkvt2ssm ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxcw6i6ciaw12 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

Russ
Welcome to the wheel to tiller conversion club. A lot of folks don't understand it. But it makes perfect since to me. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30