Here we go again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Here we go again

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike should be in the thick of it now. He's on the "dirty side" with greater storm surge, higher winds and a higher potential for tornadoes.
The good news is it looks like Sally is picking up speed (she was at about 1 mph for a while last night).

Mike, I am guessing electric is out. When you next log on to CDSOA know that all of the "hurricane victims/veterans" on this board are thinking of you and some of us are having a Guinness in your honor. :wink: :wink:

BE SAFE :!: :!: :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I went to check on mine this morning but I couldn’t make it out to the boat. Low tide is 8:30 this evening so I might be able to make it then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

David:
Hope she came thru fine! We're *finally* out of the snot.

Roberto:
You nailed it! We lost power about 0845 while I was at GGYC helping with a boat that broke a piling...
and then more and more of trying to get extra lines set and attempting to retain pieces of our dock that came loose.
Such fun...

Finally got power back a bit ago. Here's a glimpse of KAYLA between the trees. I'm actually on a pool deck that is 4 feet above the ground. Water had gotten up to the first step. During the last hours of brutal wind, she broke her port stern line and started mating with a couple of pilings... I was able to get out to the end of what was left of her dock and secure some fenders to ease her pain.
Will be a great treasure hunt tomorrow to sift thru the receding waters to see what all we can recover.
20200916_124214.jpg
If you look carefully to the left, you can sort make out the roof of the GGYC tiki hut.
Water level there was above my waist...
PS: I'm damn glad this day is nearly done!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike:

I am glad S/V Kayla appears to have survived. Clean up is always a PITA.

If I am reading your post correctly, you lost power around 0845 hrs Wed. and got it back around 2200 hrs. Wed., that is, about 14 hrs without a/c. That is amazing :!: Where I live when electric goes out from even a moderate TS it is out for 5-7 days :!: :!: :!:

Congratulations on surviving Sally. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sure hope this forecast is FAR MORE accurate than what we got for Sally...
TD22-0917_1800CDT.png
(edit: oops... that image name should be TD22-0917_2000CDT... my bad. long day.)
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I finally made it out to the boat today and was able to climb aboard. Everything was fine. She leaks like normal and there was a ton of water in the bilge, but other than that I didn't notice anything damaged. Time to make my boat dry. I'm tired of constantly pumping the bilge out.

Let's hope no more big storms this year. This one was stressful enough.

So far it sounds like everyone in the area came away unscathed. Let's hope it stays that way.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

David,
Glad to hear you had no issues! I have no idea how much water KAYLA collected... but she does have a large solar panel and auto-majik bilge pump... :D
The down side of Sally was my port stern line broke so several sections of rub rail got beat away and a life line fitting was snapped.
Basically cosmetic stuff that I can live with till I have her hauled next year for bottom work.
Here's a pic from GGYC after the water got below the top off our "stove"...Yes! Wednesday that stove top was under water.
20200917_122447_06.jpg
Last edited by mgphl52 on Sep 21st, '20, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike: How the "he double hockey sticks" did all of that stuff hanging from the hut survive what had to be at least 80-85 mph in and around Niceville :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Mike, the storm surge was way more than I ever expected. Sorry to hear about the rub rail. I'm missing a chunk on the starboard and port side of mine from a previous storm. I haven't replaced it yet. I plan on hauling mine out next month. Is there a place you recommend for bottom work, or do you do it yourself? I need the bottom painted and the cutlass bearing replaced. I'm going to try the bearing myself, but I don't want to mess with the paint.

Good news is that Sam Adams Octoberfest is now available at Winn Dixie, and that always helps ;)
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Here we go again indeed :!: :!: :cry: :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Back "in the cone."
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Mike: How the "he double hockey sticks" did all of that stuff hanging from the hut survive what had to be at least 80-85 mph in and around Niceville :?:
That's quite simple... the tackier the stuff is, the less likely it will blow away!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Unfortunately, I reckon parts of our docks just weren't tacky enough...
This is the main dock:
20200921_121328.jpg
and this is (was?) KAYLA's dock:
20200921_121405.jpg
I have 4 sets of Tideminders on order now. Once installed, we'll probably not have high water again for a long time...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

mgphl52 wrote: That's quite simple... the tackier the stuff is, the less likely it will blow away!
Hilarious. Truer words were never spoken.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Roberto,

What's going on down in your neighorhood now?

You brewing up something to send to Cuba then recalling it?

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA