50th US Sailboat Show - Annapolis, MD

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kickin Bears

Re: 50th US Sailboat Show - Annapolis, MD

Post by Kickin Bears »

Bob Ohler wrote:My family had a great time on Sunday. And yes, the Sailrite people are great to to do business with. I placed my order with them at the Show.

I needed materials to keep my LSZ1 busy!
Sailrite was a booth I planned on spending money at; I picked up the LSZ-1 premium kit. I never thought I’d be so stoked for a sewing machine but love it. :) Have some winter canvas work planned, and the 10% off (site wide right now) plus free shipping (the real show bonus) was great. Not to mention meeting the staff too!

BTW, the return to the club for having a booth would be marketing / socialization of it’s existence, leading to possible membership expansion. I’m not sure what the cost for a booth is; covering the investment is a complication but may not be impossible with some creative thinking / effort. Putting out a request for volunteers to staff may work once the $$s are figured out ... I’m pretty sure access is covered for a limited number of booth staff so volunteering would have a perk

I heard about CDSOA by word of mouth when folks at the marina realized I picked up the CD30C, and we paid dues out 3 years because of that conversation. The message itself carries value

Just my .02 cents ... I see value in both sides. Lots of effort for little immediate gratification for sure
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I would volunteer for the booth. I wonder if the Yacht World site and other sites that have Cape Dory listing would sponsor CDSOA??
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

moctrams wrote:I would volunteer for the booth. I wonder if the Yacht World site and other sites that have Cape Dory listing would sponsor CDSOA??
Now that's a novel idea! I saw another post referring to expensive costs for a booth. If there was a partnership of sorts that just might make it worthwhile. Well, at least as long as there were folks that could be there and explain all the great benefits of joining CDSOA!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

How many potential members attend the show? Cape Dory made about 8,600 boats. How many are still in existence? 6,000? How many are still being used on a regular basis? 5,000? How many of those owners are within driving range of Annapolis? 1,000-500? How many would actually go? 5%-10%. That’s 100 to 25. How many are already members? Half, 50-12? Is that worth the effort to give it a try?

Trying to remember if I’ve seen other owners association at any major boat shows. If some one wanted to go through the organization hassle to get a booth set up I’d be ok if the organization fronted the cost as a test.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.