Almost lost our boat today.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Re: Almost lost our boat today.

Post by Paul D. »

Glad there was no serious damage at this near miss Cathy. Sounds like a serious oversight at the yard.

We had a boat sink (water above the engine and berths) this spring in our marina. The boat was launched on schedule without the owner present. The crew at the yard overlooked an oversight by the owner who left a winterizing tap open at the motor intake seacock. The marina, to their credit, pumped the boat, dealt with the motor and the owner has thoroughly dried and cleaned the interior but there will always be a little sign down below that this happened. If the slip was deeper it could have been really bad.

Yeah, it's best to be present at splash time!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

DAVIDPERRY wrote:... while the vessel was still in the slings, ...
That's how they do it at Marina Bay in Boston... it's the yard foreman who boards every vessel while it's still in the slings, pulls up every floor board, checks the stuffing box, and makes sure that the water is staying on the outside where it belongs. (I've gotten calls that LIQUIDITY was launched but that there was a slight drip in the stuffing box. That was the right call in that case, to let me know but not delay the launch where all that was needed was a minor adjustment.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

What a terrible story but with a good ending. I certainly hope you're not going to be charged for the round trip!!

The ONLY time I ever allowed someone else to work on my boat, they almost sank me. That means the task list is beyond my free time and hence my ability to keep up, so I prioritize. Rig? Check. Engine and related mechanicals? Check. Plumbing/seacocks, etc? Check. Lights and instruments? Check. Cosmetics? I wish I had more time!!
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
boogie

Post by boogie »

Same thing happened in Haverstraw Marina few years back to other boat. I learned a lesson and chained my boat to the fence or electric pole until I was ready to launch.
Jacob KB2C
SV "Malaika" PSC 37
Doug Jesseman

Post by Doug Jesseman »

Kathy, Spartan marine clearly informed us that each sea cock is mated. Never mix the cones to the outside part. Milled to perfection, one at a time. Did the marina guys check each one?
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Doug Jesseman wrote:Kathy, Spartan marine clearly informed us that each sea cock is mated. Never mix the cones to the outside part. Milled to perfection, one at a time. Did the marina guys check each one?
Yep, we know that. Bruce had each of them labeled so he could put them back where they came from. They’re all apart again. Now, if it would just stop raining.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Glad Realization and you guys are safe and sound.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Sounds scary! I'm glad it turned out ok
Jeff
DAVIDPERRY

Post by DAVIDPERRY »

What Cathy and Dean are referring to I believe are the barrels of the seacock, not the seacock itself being removed / installed while the boat is in the water. Although the thru-hull fitting and the seacock are separate pieces, seacocks on Cape Dorys are thru-bolted to the hull before the thru-hull fitting is screwed in. It generally has to be removed first in order to expose and remove the thru-bolts.

I had an interesting "occurrence" as a broker, when I tried to lightly test a seacock to see if it was frozen on a boat that was in the water. (brokers and customers are not supposed to run, operate or test anything, only show the boat) But, as it was a Cape Dory, I figured I could test it with care. The stud on the barrel on which the retaining / adjusting nuts are screwed, broke right off, and the barrel and handle started to come out! Totally affected by electrolysis, there was hardly anything left of the stud. On a Saturday afternoon in Annapolis of all places. Fortunately, I was able to wire the seacock barrel in place with stuff found on board. But a good lesson learned, both as a broker and as a boat owner. I now always advise that, when working on thru-hull valves when the boat is in the water, be sure it is with a travelift nearby and during working hours!

Dave Perry
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

wow ...

My personal rule is; I'm there when launching ... then, at least, "it's my fault".

I also know I drive the yard guys a little nutty. Too bad - it's my boat.

I had a yard grunt tell me once it would "probably be better" if I was not there when they stepped the mast. (I had it pulled mid-season for a repair)

I went to the manager and straightened that out right away.

cheers and stay afloat

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay