How to replace CD 10 Gunwales?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jack in Norfolk
Location: J/24 USA 262 "Doreen". Able 20 (project). CD10 hull # 2224. Marblehead, MA

How to replace CD 10 Gunwales?

Post by Jack in Norfolk »

I am fixing up an old Cape Dory 10. I got her as a project. I have all of the pieces except for one gunwale and both inwales. At first I thought that I could get new teak and just through bolt it. I am concerned the the curve of the hull will split the teak. I am also concerned that time in a steam box will not have much effect on teak.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
"Teach your child the love of sailing and they will never have money for drugs."
Jack in Norfolk
Location: J/24 USA 262 "Doreen". Able 20 (project). CD10 hull # 2224. Marblehead, MA

Re: How to replace CD 10 Gunwales?

The Starboard inwale is the only complete piece of teak that I have for the gunwales. I have pieces of another piece. I'm adding these pictures for reference. Sadly, this boat has taken a back seat to a J/24 repair and a Laser project, so please pardon the mess.
Attachments
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG (35.33 KiB) Viewed 460 times
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG (37.55 KiB) Viewed 460 times
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (39.02 KiB) Viewed 460 times
"Teach your child the love of sailing and they will never have money for drugs."
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You can definitely make those bends without steaming or soaking the wood.

You might also look into teak substitutes at your local lumber yard. Not a Home Depot but a real lumber yard should have some very nice decking lumber that is oily, straight grained, 5/4 X 6 and in long lengths. I did a CD-14 and a canoe with the stuff and it works out nicely for a fraction of the price. It is easy to find and you can pick through the pile to find a really nice piece, Steve.
Jack in Norfolk

Thanks! This is very encouraging!
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

pro tip.. buy a length of 2" pvc pipe and cut it into a lot of 1" rings. Then take the rings and cut them on a band saw on one side. you now have a lot of simple clamps to hold the new rail on when you epoxy it to the hull. If they are too tight, just make the cut wider until its the proper tension.
Jack in Norfolk

Nebe wrote:pro tip.. buy a length of 2" pvc pipe and cut it into a lot of 1" rings. Then take the rings and cut them on a band saw on one side. you now have a lot of simple clamps to hold the new rail on when you epoxy it to the hull. If they are too tight, just make the cut wider until its the proper tension.
Brilliant!
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

Hey Steve,
What are some of the teak substitutes and which one did you use?
Farmer Wayne
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have used Ipe but most one of the other mahoganies that is sold as decking from my local lumber yard. It comes in lengths up to 20' if I remember correctly. If you pick through the pill, which st my yard is standing on end, you can find a piece that has absolutely straight grain, running the entire length of the board. One down side that will not enter into making gunnels is that it only comes in 5/4 X 6. I have glued up some pieces to make wider boards with good results. It is hard and heavy so you want to have good sharp carbide blades. You would ber hard pressed to find a piece of teak as nice as these boards, even if you could afford it, Steve.
https://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-and ... y-decking