"Leoma" 30K launch failure.

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

"Leoma" 30K launch failure.

Post by JD-MDR »

We tried to launch yesterday but water was pouring in from the shaft log. We can't tell why. The mechanic said when he pulled the old shaft and bearing it was all plugged up with crud and rusty muck he called bog. But there didn't seem to be any problem. Untill we lowered her in . He said the water is coming in thru the wall somehow. we put her up and he will pull the shaft and bearing and inspect with the video camera Monday. It sounds to me like something is fractured. The boat sat for ten years at the marina with no attention. When I first bought her I motored in gear for an hour or so and the shaft had about a half inch wobble when I throttled it up. I didn't want to run hard so I idled and sailed the 6 mi to the boatyard but it didn't leak at all. I'm hoping some of you might have some input. I would appreciate any response. Everything else is going great. I saw the conversations on the bronze turnbuckles.Dang I wish I could fix mine like that . I need to get sailing. This yard work is killing me. Thanks
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: "Leoma" 30K launch failure.

Post by jbenagh »

I had this happen last year on my CD30. The shaft log was cracked where it entered the hull in the boat. The repair involved removing the engine to gain access to the point. We cut out some of the engine tray also. Then thickened epoxy then some chopped glass with epoxy, then glass cloth and epoxy.
Not a simple repair. Mine happened after a tough cutless beading replacement.
Jeff
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jeff. It sounds like a common problem so the yard should be experienced to fix it. I wonder if I'm gonna be paying double. as bad as the condition was when they took it apart. They probably should have inspected it better. I thought I would hear from them today but no. Hopefuly tomorrow.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I went up to SF and saw the yard put a new glass shaft tube in and are stuffing around it in with epoxy mix. They didn't need to pull the engine. They will continue on Wed. and plan to launch Friday. I wish I could be there to watch but I have to work here in LA. I wonder how the cutlass bearing will go in also the worker said they are putting a new stuffing box extended out more so I can access it from the front. I have to trust them, ( I told them was posting all there work on the CDSA website). I stripped all the woodwork on the exterior and started varnish. I didn't waste too much time because it all looks badly stained and weathered..I think it should be replaced . I wonder what I should do about the bedding compound that is all falling out especially around the cockpit combing.Any suggestions? sorry I don't have photos. I found someone to sail down to LA with me and also a CDSA member contacted me. He wants to sail his CD down also. Maybe together.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Tried to launch again today.Failed. I offered to pull the engine so they could repair the shaft log like Jeff .But they insisted they could fix it . Water is still pouring in. They put it up again and are pulling the engine. I think he told me they would comp this part since its their third attempt. Does anyone else have any experience with this cracked shaft log problem?
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

The good news is this problem is fixable. Unfortunately, Jeff is essentially correct. Since this is a hull integrity failure, it has to be treated from both the inside and the outside of the hull to guarantee a long-term solution. Without seeing the problem area, I can't comment specifically. But in hull failure problems I've corrected in the past, cutting away part of the problem area was part of the solution. And time for the epoxy to fully set up is also recommended ... which means maybe a week cure time, depending on which epoxy you use. So it may be in your best interest to be less anxious about getting in the water soon.

Ken
JD-MDR

Re: "Leoma" 30K launch .

Post by JD-MDR »

I think we got it this time. Launched on Friday just to test the new shaft log for leaks. Looks really good.I think the yard guys feel pretty dumb for their first attempt to repair but I am really happy now but I don't know if I can pay for it. I am hoping they will credit me some. will know next Friday. I have more photo of the shaft log project but I can't post them till I figure out how to separate them.Here are three . The first shows how they cut the engine tray to access the shaft log. The 2nd is the finished job and the last photo is the exterior. I asked about the set screws to take the bearing out and he told me they didn't use them. They glued the bearing in place. I hope thats OK. Any Comments?
Attachments
thumbnail_imagejpeg_0.jpg
thumbnail_imagejpeg_0.jpg (115.77 KiB) Viewed 547 times
thumbnail_imagejpeg_1.jpg
thumbnail_imagejpeg_1.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 547 times
thumbnail_imagejpeg_2.jpg
thumbnail_imagejpeg_2.jpg (169.17 KiB) Viewed 547 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Those all look familiar. Good luck on the bill.
Jeff
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Using set screws, or some sort of removable fastening, is the industry standard. They make it easier to remove the bearing in case it's damaged somehow (hitting a rock, or tide walker, etc.) and needs to be replaced again. Low probability of that happening so you should be okay. And if they did it wrong the first time around, in fairness, they probably should credit you the time doing it wrong. Fair winds,

Ken
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I did not replace the set screws when I did my 28. Figured that the removal technique of cutting the old bearing and collapsing it on itself made the epoxy method both more secure and I could not see how the set screws would make much of a difference without affecting the integrity of the bearing itself.

Pete