bronze rub-strake over rubrail?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: bronze rub-strake over rubrail?

Post by John Stone »

You are right Steve, Gorilla glue is messy. I have seen strength test for it and it did not perform all that well. I used it twice and gave up on it. That expansion thing is just too weird for me. I agree with you there are lots of adhesives out there. I have narrowed it down to a few that I have found work well for me. And by sticking with a few I have become more familiar and by extension more competent and confident with them.

My go-to adhesives are: inside or under varnish: Titebond III (very water resistant--and I do use it for exterior woodplugs on bare teak) , ureaformaldehyde (great form laminating tillers though not waterproof and no glue line) West epoxy, West Gflex, Sytem 3 T88 (cold weather epoxy). Exterior not under paint or varnish or structural I try to only use Aerodux 185 (cold weather resorcinol). Occasionally, I'll use 5200 and 4000uv as an adhesive.

The only thing I can say about joints is make them tight. If I had to gap fill I think I would go with epoxy.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Ok, yesterday I finally got around to start removing the bronze rub strake. As previously mentioned, it appears many of the screw holes are stripped. Using advice above I got a bag of 1/4" teak plugs and planned to drill and plug each hole then redrill pilot holes for the screw. Some previous owner had replaced screws, some longer, and one that is some dissimilar metal with a Phillips head, and maybe stainless, although that doesn't seem likely since the head is corroded or rusted. The problem is that I can't get enough purchase on the screw head to get it to turn. I did try a screw remover, that did not work, previously I only had marginal success with them anyway.

I know it's hard to figure what I'm talking about from this description but if any of it makes sense I'd appreciate any ideas on how to remove it.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Cliff, I think the next thing I would try is an abrasive cutoff wheel on a dremel. Try making a wide enough slot
for your impact driver (either manual or battery-powered) and see if you can ease it out without breaking off the
head. If the head breaks, you might get it out after removing the rest of the screws and the rub strake.
Use a vice grip on the stub. Good luck - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Andre,
I have had good luck with a screw remover called Easy Iut. There on my tool web page. Also, I stumbled onto a great technique for removing screws whose heads have broken off. I used it in wood but it would work the same in fiberglass. One of those should work.

Here is the link. Scroll to 10 Aug 2015.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/dailylog ... oct15.html
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John,

I'm getting an error on the link... says the domain registration expired last year...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Weird. Just tried it. Came right up. Try again.
Let me know. Anyone else having trouble connecting?

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/dailylog ... oct15.html
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John S.:

I got the same screen Mike got.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Paul Clayton

Post by Paul Clayton »

John, I'm getting the expired domain message too, though I went on your site just a few days ago and it was fine. The page I am reaching is for Network Solutions and states:

"farreachvoyages.com expired on 04/15/2016 and is pending renewal or deletion"

Considering the 2016 expiration date I'm thinking your web host is having some technical difficulties. But if somebody jumped in and snagged your domain while the host was messing around it could be a dickens of a time getting it back - if it were my domain I'd be in contact with my web host as soon as possible. Good luck with it, John.

regards
pmc
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well. It took a phone call to Network Solutions but we got it worked out. Should be back up and running now.

Thanks everyone for the heads up.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi John,

I suspect that you were bringing up cached data... much like i just got, until I opened a different browser!
Your site is coming up fine now.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!