Windlass for a CD30C and anchor locker space

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lisa G.

Re: Windlass for a CD30C and anchor locker space

Post by Lisa G. »

Steve A wrote:I can tell you what has always been an issue for us is the stacking of the chain in the locker, once you have brought in a fair amount of chain someone has to go below and open the locker and knock the chain down. This can be anywhere from a pain to downright dangerous in a crowded anchorage or a strong current. For us modifying the chain locker has always been on the list but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I think part of my problem is where I initially located the manual windlass back in the day, it's too far up towards the bow compared to others I've seen. Good Luck.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Consideration should also be given to securing the windlass, as it can be subjected to significant loads.
I used 5/8" thick G-10 as backing. The aft bolts passed through a reinforced area, where the factory had installed the deck cleats.
I know of others who have done more robust installations.

jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hello again, Lisa,

Sorry for the delayed response. I asked Jenn if she recalled the owner/boat name of the 30 we saw at Northeast Harbor in August. It was a cutter converted to a sloop to allow room to install a power windlass at the base of the teak bow pulpit. Jean could not recall the names, but she believes the hailing port was the Benjamin River, near Brooklin, ME. One of the other owners may know her.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

These may or may not help... KAYLA came to us with a beefed up bowsprit and manual windlass already installed.
After a few years, the bow pulpit had a few welds crack so I removed it and had a second rail added when the welds were repaired.

Original:

After repairs and additions:

I purposely requested the second rail have the same radius as the top rail to insure plenty of room when messing with ground tackle.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Ben Thomas wrote:http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... QYuWTJm0c7

Lofrans 750 on CD 30
hopefully the link will work
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I am in the market for a simpson lawrence hyspeed for my CD30. its manual, but with a smallish 30 foot boat, I would imagine sufficient battery power to run an electric windlass would be an issue. have you considered a hydraulic windlass run off a pump on the engine?
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Here is another perspective. I have to wonder why we are so determined to make our boats unnecessarily complicated. Working a proper size manual windlass is less demanding than hauling up a mainsail or cranking in the genoa while short tacking. I find it a simple matter to use a manual windlass on the 36' long 17,000lb Far Reach. I have 240' of HT 5/16 chain and a 35Lb spade anchor. I often drink my coffee on the foredeck while working the windlass handle with one hand. Then when I get down to about 2:1 scope I set the coffee cup down so I can raise and cat the anchor with one hand and work the scrub brush along the chain as it comes on board with the other. An electric windlass means batteries. It requires expensive heavy long runs of copper cable between the windlass and the distribution panel and battery. It's another complication of electronics and saltwater that can cause you needless agrivation.

And why don't we love the physical exertion when we are able to safely do so? Aren't we all soft enough as it is? I'm all about thoughtfull decision making to include installing a turbo charged diesel if we are really clear in our own head about why we are doing it. But I think we often can miss the simple pleasure that comes from maintaining as close a physical relationship as possible betweeen our boats, the environment, and ourselves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I confess to always being a fair weather fan, but the coffee in one hand while raising anchor sold me on the manual windlass!
Paul
CDSOA Member
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

I agree that handling the ground tackle can be a rewarding exercise, but some of us simply can't do much of it for a variety of reasons.

A word of caution on the "coffee in hand" windlass users. Some windlasses certainly allow this to happen. However, the Lofrans Royal horizontal manual windlass does not. The reason is an odd design: there is a projection right underneath the chain side of the drum that requires some tailing of the chain as it goes over the aft side of the drum. If you don't tail it, the chain jams between the drum and the odd projection. The windlass can be operated by one person, but two hands are required.

We choose the Lofrans Royal for cost and reliability. We did not anticipate the required tailing of the chain. Some other manual windlasses (if still available) would most likely be better for the solo sailor who likes her coffee while cranking the windlass.

Cheers!

Jenn and Terry

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Yes, but I do use two hands while operating my windlass. One to work the handleand the other to work the coffee. :)

Seriously, your windlass is not functioning properly perhaps it can be altered. Or there is a part not installed correctly. My ABI has a chain stripper under the gypsy to release the chain and allow it to drop down the chain pipe.

A good strong reliable windlass is an important piece of your ground tackle system if it can't be hauled in by hand.

I picked up another second hand bronze ABI windlass last week. Excellent condition. Set up for 5/16 HT. I plan to rebuild it and sell it. You might consider it if you are not happy with the lofrans.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Sorry, John, for causing some confusion. The reason our Lofrans Royal has to be tailed while cranking is that the chain/line does not feed straight down the hawsepipe into the chain locker. Rather, the windlass is mounted well aft of the hawsepipe to allow us to continue to use the cutter rig. We got this idea from Jim Walsh and, like Jim, we haul much of the rope rode and chain by hand (pretty easy) then, when the anchor has to come up, we use the windlass (unless the water is quite shallow). One of us cranks and the other tails and feeds the rode down the hawsepipe, but it could be and has been done by one person.

If the chain is muddy, it's quite easy to use the handle to release the drum to drop the chain and re-crank it a few time to clean it.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Cheers!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I am looking to buy a simpson lawrence hyspeed manual windlass for my CD 30. It fits perfect.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md