Windlass for a CD30C and anchor locker space

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Lisa G.

Windlass for a CD30C and anchor locker space

Post by Lisa G. »

Greetings,
I am in the process of buying a CD 30 c and will need to have some sort of windlass because of back injuries. Does any one have one that would be willing to share info? Some questions I have are:

1. I have not seen the cutter rig installed, and am worried about windlass interfering with stays'l and self tacking. How have others dealt with this or is it a non issue? I am guessing it needs to be a low profile? Do both horizontal and vertical ones work?
2. Would like an electric model. Will the motor reduce amount of rode you can have?
3. Would like an all chain rode and wondering how many feet of chain you can flake in the chain locker and still have it move in and out freely.
Any pics would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Steve Laume

Re: Windlass for a CD30C and anchor locker space

Post by Steve Laume »

Congratulations on buying a fine boat and welcome to the message board.

If you figure this out I would love to see and hear how it works out for you. Raven does not have a windlass and I dread pulling the anchor at times. I try to look at it as part of my exercise program. I am running 90' of 5/16" chain, spliced into another 150' of three strand nylon with a 35# CQR anchor. I am still fairly strong and able but it isn't much fun to pull, especially in deep water.
The base for the club footed staysail is definitely a problem. If you are going with a horizontal windlass it seems like you could only haul rope on the port side and chain on Stbd. If you are using all chain then this might not be an issue.

The chain locker is pretty substantial so I don't think having a motor in there along with an all chain rode would present any space problems. I am not sure if you would go with 1/4" or 5/16" chain but I do know the 5/16" is about a pound a foot. So if you do go with the heavier chain and say 200' along with and anchor and the windlass that puts a pretty substantial amount of weight in the bow of the boat. Raven tends to squat in the stern, so some extra weight was not an issue for her. Adding 300# of weight right in the pointy part of the boat would be more of a concern than if there is room for the chain, to me.

I would love to find a manual, vertical, windlass that was affordable just to haul the chain portion of my rode if I felt the need. I don't think there is an easy solution to anchor handling on this boat, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Pictures of windlass installations on a CD-36.
http://johndanicic.com/CD-PicturePosts/ ... nstall.htm
They face the same situation, Steve.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Fellow board member John Danicic had a very detailed article in Good Old Boat a few years ago on the planning and installing of a Maxwell low profile electric windlass on his CD36. She would have a very similar foredeck with the cutter set up with a bit more space. I bet you could get the Good Old Boat archives and find the edition. Or he could chime in here and say which one it is to help you find it. Sorry I do not have it either hard or digitally.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I am currently installing a Maxwell RC 10-8 on my CD31. More specifically, a professional is doing it for me! We are replacing an old Ideal windlass with this model, including the capstan, to handle my 35 lb CQR with 5/16 chain spliced to 5/8 nylon rope. It seemed a good compromise between size, weight and cost. You can follow the progress of the installation online at http://www.lackeysailing.com/projects/danusia/.
Good luck.

David
I think the installation David Morton did on his CD31 is one of the nicest I've seen. It may be on a boat a foot or so longer but that should prove to be a minor consideration for your anticipated project. If you follow the hyperlink in the quote above you will find detailed notes and photographs of the project by the gentleman whom David chose to complete several projects over the winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

http://s405.photobucket.com/user/Bthoma ... how/lofran

Not sure if photos will appear, it's been awhile...
Install of a Lofrans 750 in a CD 30. 100' 5/16 chain and 200' Rode.
Plenty of room.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Lisa G. wrote:Greetings,
I am in the process of buying a CD 30 c and will need to have some sort of windlass because of back injuries. Does any one have one that would be willing to share info? Some questions I have are:

1. I have not seen the cutter rig installed, and am worried about windlass interfering with stays'l and self tacking. How have others dealt with this or is it a non issue? I am guessing it needs to be a low profile? Do both horizontal and vertical ones work?
2. Would like an electric model. Will the motor reduce amount of rode you can have?
3. Would like an all chain rode and wondering how many feet of chain you can flake in the chain locker and still have it move in and out freely.
Any pics would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Depending on how you plan on using the boat and your sailing area you make able to use less chain and a light weight Fortress anchor. If the Fortress does not work for your sailing situation one of the newer designs like Rocna or Mansom Supreme could be used. Their holding power on a pound per pound basis is a fair amount lighter than older designs.

Don't know much about manual windlasses but I'd expect their mounting would be more compact.

Usually the heaviest part of hauling an anchor is when it is well set and is resisting breaking free. When I have had that issue on a boat without a windlass I just pull up as much slack as possible with the boar above tge set anchor and cleat it off. Usually any wake or waves will help pop it out as the bow moves up and down. It helps to draw up any slack you get when the bow is on a down stroke of a wave.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... QYuWTJm0c7

Lofrans 750 on CD 30
hopefully the link will work
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Jim Walsh, do you know what date the work on Dave's boat was posted by Lackey?
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Bob Ohler wrote:Jim Walsh, do you know what date the work on Dave's boat was posted by Lackey?
Looks like 1/28/16 was the day the windlass arrived. He did not progress from start to finish on any one job so you just have to look from there.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve A
Cape Dory 36 #105
Outer Banks NC

Post by Steve A »

I can tell you what has always been an issue for us is the stacking of the chain in the locker, once you have brought in a fair amount of chain someone has to go below and open the locker and knock the chain down. This can be anywhere from a pain to downright dangerous in a crowded anchorage or a strong current. For us modifying the chain locker has always been on the list but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I think part of my problem is where I initially located the manual windlass back in the day, it's too far up towards the bow compared to others I've seen. Good Luck.
Steve
Southern Lee
Original Owners
'84 CD 36 #105
Outer Banks NC
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply and share photos. Each of your postings has been very helpful. Should be closing right after the survey on the 12th. At that time I will be be able to measure out the anchor locker and do an electrical diagram.

She currently has a plow anchor with 30 ft chain and 300 ft line. I have a Fortress and a Danforth from previous boat I can use as secondary. What I am really lusting for is a Mantus Anchor :)

I am sure I will have a lot more questions once she is "officially " mine and I start the project.

Thanks, again!

Lisa
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Ben Thomas wrote:http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... QYuWTJm0c7

Lofrans 750 on CD 30
hopefully the link will work
Link worked great. Thank you. Especially nice to see the interior chain lock pics. Lofrans make high quality windlasses. I have spec'd one on someone elses boat. I would love to get one for my boat , but budget wise need to stick to a manufacturer I can use my West Marine employee discount at :wink:

Lisa
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

A comment on Steve A.'s warning about stacking the chain in the locker. We have the same problem with the last 20' or so of chain.
We have learned to just leave it on deck and deal with it after we're underway and out of the anchorage. We use our hands or the windlass handle to knock down the chain through the hawsepipe. However, we carried 300' pf 5/8 8-plait in the locker in addition to the 90' of chain, more rope rode than we need, which made the chain stack too high. We plan to cut that 8-plait in half, splice the bitter ends and make two rope rodes out of it, which should last for many years. In the very rare situation where we need more rode, we have 300' of 1/2" 3-strand for the backup anchor or board.

Not sure if we told you, but we saw a CD 30 in Northeast Harbor, ME last August. Can't recall the name, but she had a power windlass mounted at the base of her bow pulpit. The boat was originally a cutter rig, but she removed the staysail rigging to allow for the windlass. Not a terrible tradeoff for the convenience of a power windlass.

When Jenn gets home from her parents tomorrow night, she may recall the name of that 30 in Maine and we'll email it to you.

good luck.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats