how remove tiller handle ??????

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

how remove tiller handle ??????

Post by arch007 »

I have a cape dory 28.

The tiller seems to have some play in it. It moves maybe about 1 - 2 inches before the rudder moves.

I would like to remove the tiller handle and fix the movement.

Can some provide instructions or diagrams or photos how to go about it ????

The boat is on the hard.

Thanks one and all,

arch
arch007

no help ????????????

Post by arch007 »

Has no one removed a tiller handlefrom the rudder post ????????????

Thanks,

arch
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: how remove tiller handle ??????

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Arch:

I have removed the tiller from the tiller post/bracket on my 1982 Cape Dory 25D. I am not sure if it is the same set up as yours on your CD 28.

On my CD 25D there is simply one bolt that goes through the tiller bracket and tiller. It is secured with a locking washer and nut.

I had some loose play as well (very little but a little). I tried inserting a washer in between the tiller and the tiller bracket. However, the washer (I tried several thicknesses) was too thick. I eventually put the tiller back on to the tiller bracket and let well enough be.

As you can tell from the limited posts, at this time of the year most sailors are hauling out and prepping for winter storage. I am confident a CD 28 owner will soon post with a much better answer than I have offered above.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

As mentioned by Roberto, it should have a single bolt that goes through the tiller bracket and tiller (see picture). The play could be because of this bolt being loose, there being a gap between the tiller post and bracket, or the hole through the tiller post itself is worn larger than the bolt. I have never repaired this, but I have sailed boats with this issue and know that it's annoying. I also have a CD 25, so it may be different on the 28.
tiller2.jpg
tiller2.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 475 times
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I've owned my CD 27 for almost 10 years now, and one of my first posts was about this. In construction equipment like back hoes they call it "slap", that's when the bucket doesn't stop moving exactly when the operator wants it to. It is annoying and I've tried to find ways to resolve it, but to no avail. If anyone comes up with a solution I'd love to hear it.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I had that problem on my previous boat. It was really hard on the tiller pilot. Tightening the bolt didn't help and the tiller was to hard to lift and fall. I ending up just carrying little wedges and put them in when under way with the tiller pilot. They worked really well. Wood wedges wear out fast ,then I tried plastic. It still wore out. I was gonna try metal but I sold that boat for a Dory with worm drive pedestal ,so nice but I'm wondering what type of autopilot to get. I don't really want a big giant contraption mounted on the transom.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510