At long last, its time to say goodbye.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

Re: At long last, its time to say goodbye.

Post by Andy Denmark »

Warren, my good friend,

This is sad news, indeed. I know and understand the connection you share with SQN as well as some of the people on this board. To lose your beloved boat this way strikes at your soul in inexplicable ways. I feel for you.

If you can find a way to get free sometime next fall to join me in my (once) annual trek south on Rhiannon, you have a standing invitation.

I'm wintering in Bonita Springs, FL, and have room for you and yours if you'd care to visit. A bottle of MacAlans awaits you and the sunshine, crystal clear beach, and warm water makes for a nice break from the cold, miserable NE winter.

Rhiannon is in Oriental and Maggie and I will visit her over Thanksgiving for a last-of-the-season sail followed by the annual winterization process before heading back to Florida.

Please stay in touch,

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
vsail
Location: Previous owner of Cape dory 27 "Suela" Town River, Quincy, MA

Post by vsail »

Very sorry to hear your news. God speed and good luck to you!
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Warren,
You are welcome aboard Segue, a CD 26 in Port Washington anytime. I would be honored to have you at the helm.

Frank
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Post by Bob Owens »

Sorry for your loss, Warren. I too have good memories of your posts, especially in my early years on this board after buying ABIGAIL in 2002. With retirement to Pittsburgh looming, I am not far behind you in bidding farewell to sailing a CD 27 on Long Island Sound.
Bob
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Warren:

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife at one of the LI sail-ins several years ago. Wish you well in the future. A word of warning, however - the last two times I walked away from boat ownership it lasted all of one season or less!
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

JWSutcliffe wrote:Warren:
A word of warning, however - the last two times I walked away from boat ownership it lasted all of one season or less!
And this is what MANY of us are hoping will happen to Warren. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Ed Haley

Post by Ed Haley »

Warren:
So sorry to hear about your loss. She's been with you quite a while and I'm sure you'll miss her. But there are other dreams in life and I'm sure you'll find them. Fair winds, my friend.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Thanks to one and all for all your good wishes. Right now I'm fine. Then again, every December Sine Qua Non was shrink wrapped by now and I didn't have use of her. So at this moment it feels no different than any other year.

I think this will finally sink in come spring commissioning time in 2016. I'll be walking around with hands in my pockets and not a scratch on my hands from boat work. That'll feel strange indeed.

Thanks again all.

Warren
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

If that happens, and you find your self near Saint Louis, you can come on over and get all the CD-27 scratches you want aboard Slainte. This spring should be an easy one, just a lot of Cetol and made some paint on the non-skid in the cockpit.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: You can sail with us....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Warren,

We visit Oyster Bay at least twice during our summer cruises -- on our way east and again on our way back to our home waters. We'll give you a shout the next time we're there and we can all go for a daysail.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Echoing the other members, Jenn and I are sad to hear of the loss of your 27.

Please to stay on the board, as your posts are valued.

And, ya know what they prescribe for folks who lose a dog or cat: go get a puppy or a kitten!

Well, there's lots of CDs our there that need homes.

Very best wishes

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

So sorry to hear of the damage to the CD27. Perhaps you could buy it back from the insurance company (for much less than what they paid to you) and then start to make the repairs yourself. A while ago a friend had his boat (older Columbia) struck by lightning, totaled it then he bought it back and a few years later after restoring it he sold it for more than he originally paid for it!