Holding our breath and watching Joaquin

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: Holding our breath and watching Joaquin

Post by Jim Walsh »

Currently 85 knots to 105 knots, 98 mph to 120 mph. Yikes :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote:Currently 85 knots to 105 knots, 98 mph to 120 mph. Yikes :roll:
That is a Cat 3 MAJOR hurricane. On Bermuda that will result in substantial damage. Very sad.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

I have a flying buddy that has/had a place on Crooked Island in the Bahamas.

Haven't spoken to him yet. Don't know if he knows anything about his place. Hope he wasn't down there when Joaquin came through.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I haven't seen any reports of loss of life but there are currently nearly 15,000 customers without power on the island. It appears they made out well overall. :)

Don't you just love their choice of colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

South and North Carolina have been getting a heck of a lot of rain. The NE winds,about 20-25 knots, that have been blowing for the last several days, are really backing up the water where we live. I went down to check on the Far Reach about 2100 last night. Made some minor line adjustments and doubled up the port side spring line. The water was just cresting the dock. "C" Dock, two docks over, is a little lower and was under about a foot of water. I'm headed back down shortly to check again. Not sure when it will peak here but suspect by tomorrow the water levels will drop as the winds come around to west or south.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Incredible photos of the terrible flooding in S. Carolina, which is not that far away from here (less than 150 miles). Radar pictures show a long, very heavy rain band, driving like a spear straight into the SC coast. Looking at the radar pictures over the last two days it looks like there was very little lateral movement up the coast. We have had a lot of rain as well but nothing like SC.

The surge in the Neuse River continues to climb where we are but more slowly. About 8-10" higher this afternoon than last night. Local weather stations are suggesting the Neuse River will peak tomorrow.

I hope others up the coast make out well.
Last edited by John Stone on Oct 5th, '15, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Is that gentleman in the red jacket traveling alone or does he have 12 disciples with him? :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone

Post by John Stone »

When I looked at the post later tonight the picture was rotated. I had loaded it directly from my iPhone. I also took some pics with my pocket camera. I know how to manipulate those photos so I swapped it out. No walking on water in the update. Too bad, that was a humerous effect.