Forestar tiller extension mounting question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s2sailorlis

Forestar tiller extension mounting question

Post by s2sailorlis »

For my CD22...

I've picked up a Forespar tiller extension - have used them on other boats and find them very good.

My question is the CD tillers in general seem quite small/thin compared to other boats - at least the Typhoon and CD22 tillers...

At any rate, I have to drill a 7/16" hole thru the tiller for mounting - this is probably more a carpentry question than anything else - but I'm trying to determine how far back to drill the hole in order to ensure structural integrity of the tiller after the hole is drilled. The tiller isn't that wide and I believe drilling about halfway down is probably safest bet. I would think leaving a 1/2" on either side of the hole would not be an issue. I could of course after mounting the socket - reinforce the area with some decorative rope work.

Thanks

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
swparis85

Re: Forestar tiller extension mounting question

Post by swparis85 »

Hi Rick,
Instead of drilling through the tiller to insert the socket, what about rigging the socket to a clamp that you can fasten to the tiller?
Then you don't compromise the integrity or beauty of the tiller. Line the I.D. of the clamp with something soft to keep it from gouging the wood, but grippy enough to stay put when wet.
something like :
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
Maine_Buzzard

Re: Forestar tiller extension mounting question

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Halfway down would likely leave the extension at an odd angle to your seating position, and would more than double the effort required to hold against weather helm.

Much like drilling a hole in the web of an I beam, a hole in the center of the tiller weakens it much less than you'd think.

Put it where your seating position dictates and it does not lie under hand while steering normally. Locating it forward of your normal grip will minimize any weakening. A blind hole is OK too.