Lifeline replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Re: Lifeline replacement

Post by Steve Laume »

To clarify a bit, I was asking about through bolting the stanchion to the base.

Most of the stress would be lateral so I am not sure the stanchions would pop out even if they were not fastened to the bases but it is still a good thing, Steve.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I like the idea of bolting the stachions thru the base. At least you are able to see what is going on at the business end of the bolt rather than it being hidden inside the stanchion. Loose and missing nuts should be obvious at a glance and easier to fix. Downside is it means removing metal from base itself, but seems negligible to me.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You could probably drill them in place with a good sharp bit and an angle drill. If you removed the stanchions and drilled them on a press, at home, the holes would help align the holes in the base. I have never had a problem with elastic stop nuts getting loose, even if they are not tightened down.

I just wonder why they are not done this way, in the first place, Steve.
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Steve Laume wrote:To clarify a bit, I was asking about through bolting the stanchion to the base.

Most of the stress would be lateral so I am not sure the stanchions would pop out even if they were not fastened to the bases but it is still a good thing, Steve.
The stanchions on Mariah were done this way and it worked fine.