Recruiting for a potential CDSOA Southeast fleet (GA/FL)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shinok

Re: Recruiting for a potential CDSOA Southeast fleet (GA/FL)

Post by Shinok »

Update:

I'm still on top of this and working to contact owners. I was pretty swamped at work last week, but this week should be a little slower, so I'm hoping to get the mailings out to owners on the list early this week, in addition to fliers in my local area.

If any of you have luck or additional names to add to the list, please let me know!
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

HELLO,
This might be interesting to me also. However, my "new" 1975 CD25 will be not splash down for more than a few more months, and it would be a trailer ride to the east coast. We just retired near Crystal River but am originally from Vero Beach, and I know a little bit about your area having worked at KSC. I believe it is also closer to us than most of the neighboring Gulf Coast CD membership. We have no other CDs in this Nature Coast area that I know of, and your activities would be attractive. BTW, I have assisted with my share of Mount Gay Eclipse -- still my #1 vote, but not as good now as it used to be.
BobC
1975 CD25 #239 MOON SHINE
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Bob,

There are a few things that I feel are worth considering. I think that it is a wonderful idea to get together and form a Southeast CDSOA fleet. One thing that I should point out from the getgo is that when the fleet holds affairs such as spring meetings or mid season picnics, etc, the majority of members attend the functions travelling by auto. Should there be a fleet sail-in, then by all means it would be okay to trailer your boat to the event.

Often times, while attending a fleet general meeting or other event, you will meet officers and members of the national office as well as visitors from other fleets. It's a great way to put faces to those that you have read about for so often.

Distance can be a bugaboo for a fleet. The Great Lakes Fleet, temporarily inactive, can attest to that. From its western shoreline to its eastern boundary is over 1600 miles. That's more than half way from NYC to San Francisco. In retrospect, it would have been better to have a CD fleet for each one of the Great Lakes. Many members tried to make a go of the GLF but it just didn't happen.

I guess what I am saying is that you can be an active fleet member without having to drag your boat with you wherever you attend a fleet function.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Hello OJ, and all,
Nice to hear from you. Been watching postings here for a long time and enjoy all the knowledge you guys share--I need it. And I of course agree with and appreciate what you say, and incidentally it is a small world. I was up in your neck of the woods spring and summer of 1999 performing part of the Y2K engineering review for instrumentation at 9 mile point. I enjoyed being around Lake Ontario and the thousand islands area, and Adirondaks as much I could by car, and photographed many fresh, clean CDs--of all sizes, around the marinas. I was impressed by the clear blue waters, and even more impressed with all those rocks you guys deal with! My first exposure to a CD was a Typhoon like yours about 5 years old, back in 1973, owned by a young family (friends) from Woods Hole, on an afternoon sail down in Ft. Pierce Florida. Been admiring CDs coast to coast ever since. Finally bought my first one recently to shine-up in my new-found retirement. She needs a LOT of TLC, then I look forward to sailing her in this, and other areas.
Best wishes,
BobC
The Nature Coast, west Florida.
1975 CD25 #239 Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Oswego John wrote: Distance can be a bugaboo for a fleet. The Great Lakes Fleet, temporarily inactive, can attest to that. From its western shoreline to its eastern boundary is over 1600 miles. That's more than half way from NYC to San Francisco. In retrospect, it would have been better to have a CD fleet for each one of the Great Lakes. Many members tried to make a go of the GLF but it just didn't happen.
I guess what I am saying is that you can be an active fleet member without having to drag your boat with you wherever you attend a fleet function.
Good luck, O J
Perhaps we need a Mid-West Fleet? Saint Louis (for instance) is far less than 1600 miles from Lake Michigan or the Gulf?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Astronomertoo wrote:HELLO,
This might be interesting to me also. However, my "new" 1975 CD25 will be not splash down for more than a few more months, and it would be a trailer ride to the east coast. We just retired near Crystal River but am originally from Vero Beach, and I know a little bit about your area having worked at KSC. I believe it is also closer to us than most of the neighboring Gulf Coast CD membership. We have no other CDs in this Nature Coast area that I know of, and your activities would be attractive. BTW, I have assisted with my share of Mount Gay Eclipse -- still my #1 vote, but not as good now as it used to be.
BobC
1975 CD25 #239 MOON SHINE
We'd love to have you! I'll add you to the list and notify you when we figure out when/where we are meeting.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Cool, looking forward to it. Nice photos of your boat and area on your website too!
BobC
The Nature Coast, west Florida.
1975 CD25 #239 Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Hey folks,

As most of you may notice, we sold our CD27 today and are no longer Cape Dory owners. I'll probably continue to lurk around here since A) you guys are awesome, B) there isn't an owners association for the boat we will probably buy, and C) most other online sailing communities are full of trolls.

But, this does put the potential of the SE fleet in jeopardy. I had a list of 7 boats, I know at least 2 of them have been sold to new owners and a third is about to be. Also, due to personal events that happened a few weeks after trying to pull this together, I just got too busy. I do apologize for letting this linger on, I kept hoping I could find the time to make it happen, but I just couldn't.

If someone wants to take the reigns, please send me a PM and I'll pass along the information I do have. I would still love to see this happen, even though we may stick out like a sore thumb :)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

As we may have discussed here before, if you don't/can't form a fleet, your smaller group can affiliate with the closest fleet, hold your own local events and spin off into a separate fleet if/when the numbers boost up.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Well this is certainly an interesting concept and I've been monitoring the discussion with interest. Located in Central South Carolina anything coastal is 2 hrs or more for me. Yet if anything is South East, South Carolina is. Yet I'm not aware of a NC fleet either. Wife and I will be going to Rappahannock for their event in June via trailer. So, having stated that, my interest in being in a Fleet which engages me to drive as far as Miami, is low. Sorry, about that, it just represents a large distance. However, I'm happy to join in spirit!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina