Recruiting for a potential CDSOA Southeast fleet (GA/FL)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shinok

Recruiting for a potential CDSOA Southeast fleet (GA/FL)

Post by Shinok »

We are going to see if we can get a Southeast fleet together for CDSOA members on the East coast of FL and GA.

This is an exciting opportunity to meet other Cape Dory owners in your geographic area for rum, food, sailing, etc. We are in a great location for some fun events year round, since we aren't in the frigid North :) If you take a look at some of the events other fleets participate in, they often take cruises, participate in races, hold cookouts, and a variety of other activities. Given the great sailing weather we have down here and the large number of Cape Dory owners covered by the area, I think this is a great opportunity to meet some other Cape Dory owners and have some fun together.

Currently, we need to pull together as many members as possible and gauge interest. Once we have gathered a list of those interested, we will arrange for an introductory meeting for interested CD owners. The time and place will depend on the location of interested owners.

If you are reading this and are interested in a CDSOA fleet, please respond to this thread or send me a PM indicating your interest and your geographic location. Also, if you are willing to seek out fellow Cape Dory owners that are not on this board and let them know that we are forming a fleet, please let me know. I will maintain a list of those interested and, once we have reached out to everyone, see what we can pull together for a meeting.

I look forward to this coming together!

This is a follow up to this thread:

http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31784
Squid

Re: Recruiting for a potential CDSOA Southeast fleet (GA/FL)

Post by Squid »

What might help kick this off a bit quicker would be to tie this announcement the the other conversation string labeled "Best Rum". And announce that the --to be formed FL/GA CDSOA group-- will be hosting a Rum tasting to declare and score the best rums. Perhaps to offer the Official CDSOA Rum "with" a sponsor. Based upon the response to the other "Best Rum" conversation and you might offer samples of the winning taste as each CD ventures south which might enable this potential group to ramp up rather quickly. This future CDSOA pack might only start with two members but you would most assuredly be some of the most popular two members… ! Essentially, offer your group as being more geographically near to promised land of Rum Creation.. Also toss a few pints of Guinness in for fairness.

Future inhabitant of Amelia Island of which my boat hails from.

Minor item of note, Myers and Pussers would be my vote.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> We are in a great location for some fun events year round, since we aren't in the frigid North :) <<

FYI, the Northeast Fleet Annual Meeting is coming up in just two days, as those of us in the "frigid North" (where temps are currently in the 50's) do, in fact, have fun events year round.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Neil Gordon wrote:>> We are in a great location for some fun events year round, since we aren't in the frigid North :) <<

FYI, the Northeast Fleet Annual Meeting is coming up in just two days, as those of us in the "frigid North" (where temps are currently in the 50's) do, in fact, have fun events year round.
It's warmer there than it is here right now :(

I meant no offense to those in the NE or the fleets up there, I'm just a little sensitive to the cold. I try not to do anything prolonged outdoors if it's below 60 ;)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Good luck with the formation of a new Fleet.

Know that the Northeast Fleet covers a very long coastline, from Cape May, NJ to the Canadian Border... few boats can manage to cover that distance (in the available time) but we have overlapping pockets of like-minded members who organize and participate in semi-local events. So we might see mostly MA and CT members at our Winter Meeting in CT, but then we'll see mostly ME, NH and MA members at the Cabin Fever Lunch in NH. A summer rendezvous might bring 8 boats but at the same time it might bring 15 cars. Etc.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

Shinock - I have a CD25 in Savannah and belong to CDSOA. I would suggest Jacksonville area for a central location - that's about midway between Melbourne and Savannah. There are some CDs in Jax since there was a CD dealer just south of Jax on the St Johns River many years ago - Barbara ??? was the owner in Switzerland FL. Thanks for taking the lead on this.
Squid

Post by Squid »

If the group gets formed up, please add me to your distribution list.

Thanks,
Glen
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

At the Coconut Grove Sailing Club (Miami-Coconut Grove, Florida) we have at least the following Cape Dory sailboats:

Three (3) Cape Dory Typhoon Weekenders

One (1) Cape Dory 22

One (1) Cape Dory 25D

One (1) Cape Dory 300 Motorsailor

One (1) Cape Dory 40

I also know of one (1) Cape Dory 33 docked at a local marina near the sailing club.

I have no idea how many of the above would be interested in joining up.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Hey folks,

I've added people to the list that expressed interest here and in the other thread, as well as people that I have contacted locally.

This weekend I am am going to put together a brief flier explaining what the fleet is, how to express interest, and about the CDSOA. I will post the flier once it is completed and ready to be handed out. Those of you that know of boat owners in your area, it would be very helpful if you could get the flier out to them or (even better) talk to them about the fleet and see if they are interested. I hope to have something ready to go before the week begins.

So far I have 7 boats/owners that have directly expressed interest in the fleet, only from talking to people that I know and from the boards here. I have a list of several in the Melbourne area that may be interested, as well as those listed in other areas here and in the other thread. I'm holding off on reaching out to people beyond here that I don't know personally until the flier is done, so that passing off contact/membership information will be easier and less confusing. I am no artist or wordsmith, so I'll keep it simple :)

One of the challenges we are going to face is that the Southeast is going to cover a large geographic area, from Miami up to Savannah, or even further. The biggest priority right now is to get a list of interested boats/owners and make determinations on how to proceed from there. The goal is to make the fleet as accessible to everyone as possible, something that is definitely feasible (see the NE fleet), but we need to know where everyone is first. Once we have a list of all those that are interested, we can arrange a central meeting place for the initial meeting, then decide on the best way to form based on where everyone is coming from.
Squid

Post by Squid »

You are making me want to get south faster, (the eventual resident of Amelia Island)…!!

Enjoyed the postings on your CD re-build project, wish I was closer would have loved to help. I too enjoy the OCD issue and like to re-wire stuff until it's proper… working on my instruments this weekend.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

I have the flier ready, for those that are willing to pass them out. Please send me a PM with your email address and I will email them to you. I would post it, but I forgot that it has my email address and phone number on it.

Please be conscientious of people's property, just use your judgement in how you distribute these. They have my name and phone number on them, I'd like to not get angry calls from owners saying they were stuck to their decks with duct tape :) Just use your judgement, I would probably talk to dock masters and see what the most appropriate way of getting them to the owners would be, but that may vary depending on where you are and what you feel is appropriate.
Squid wrote:You are making me want to get south faster, (the eventual resident of Amelia Island)…!!

Enjoyed the postings on your CD re-build project, wish I was closer would have loved to help. I too enjoy the OCD issue and like to re-wire stuff until it's proper… working on my instruments this weekend.
heh, thanks :) I spent a good deal of time rewiring everything...several times...
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Send the flyer to the web team and maybe they can delete your personal info and post it for you. And then attendee wannabes can contact via this board.
Great job.

Fair winds.
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I agree with Bill. I would think the best way to announce a new fleet is via this board. As I understand, membership is limited to CD owners. If you are a CD owner you probably frequent this board at least periodically and will see the post about the new fleet. However, if you are a CD owner who does not frequent this board at all chances are you will not be interested in joining a local fleet.

Personally, I would not recommend physically handing out or leaving flyers on CD sailboats.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Good thoughts, thank you for the advice.

I created a version of the flier for this board specifically and an email address for the purpose of responding to the flier, that way I can manage the spam a little easier.

Document is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw7g81 ... sp=sharing

Shorter link: http://bit.ly/1mhKqrJ

You can print or download it from either link above. Let me know if there are problems.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

To All,

If you are interested in seeing a local fleet in your area read the just posted article on "How To Start a Fleet" in the Masthead (cdsoamasthead.org). If you want this Fla./Ga. fleet to become a reality don't wait to see what happens, Contact Bow and make it happen. You will be glad you did.

Best of luck in your efforts, the CDSOA is fully behind you.

Steve Kuhar,
Commodore, CDSOA