CD Typhoon bulkhead mounted compass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: CD Typhoon bulkhead mounted compass

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know the name of the technique used, either. However, it is a cost effective way to drill a hole of any diameter without the purchase of a specific size, expensive hole saw.

Probably, the unit being installed comes with a template which is centered at the place where the hole is to be made. Another way to mark the hole to be drilled out is to measure the diameter of the unit and set a compass with a pencil to half of the diameter and trace a few circles on scrap paper to check on the size of the hole to be marked.

A continuous ring of about 1/8" holes are drilled in the bulkhead along the drawn circle as close to each other as practical. A saber saw can complete the opening. If the drilled circle of holes is too snug, the burrs can be removed with a rotary rasp, sand paper or a rat tail or half round file. This will open up the hole as much as needed.

In any case, whoever drilled out the original hole has earned an atta-boy for doing a tedious job in fine fashion.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Having filled in the holes in the bulkhead, I loathed to make a new one.
I mounted my Ritchie Navigator Compass on the surface.
The white piece is marine plywood covered with fiberglass.
I will need to make one more small hole for the lighting wire.

Time will tell how practical this arrangement is:
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

That sliding top fitment on the Ty makes the most sense I think. It is out of the way, removable, and large enough but not so large it is in the way. Plus, it is located in a no-step area, lines are passing by, looks right. I had considered the kayak compass and now that I see it in place, I think it'd be a good option for the Ty.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Skeep wrote:Kudos to Bob for being able to re-orient his thinking to look at the compass behind him to see his way forward! I have directional issues with that mount that he doesn't have!

:) :D
Since the compass was at my feet and the Ty was my first sailboat with a compass, looking back or re-orientation was not an issue. On the other hand, when I began sailing my currrent CD with its bulkhead mounted compass, now that required some re-orientation! Perspective is very relative, I guess.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

I really like the kayak compass idea.

I fashioned the attached by cutting the lower companion way board approximately in half. From left to right - compass, GPS, and depth finder. The compass/depth units are from Raymarine and were purchased by previous owner. They work fine except the PO placed compass sensor immediately in front of battery. It essentially is accurate on a heading of 30 - 40 degrees only (I plan on moving sensor this winter).

I really can't read the map on gps as it is to small (I never have my reading glasses with me!) and primarily use it for course and speed (Large Font) to monitor sail trim (The reason I bought it).

This set up works fine when I am single handing but is nearly impossible to see when anyone is on board with me. I keep thinking of relocating them to a board mounted on hatch, but hate to mess up the boats lines. Also, it sees impossible for anyone, including me, to approach the companion way without contacting a gps button and screwing it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

With a bulkhead compass mounted behind you on an aft bulkhead, would you not have to be a math whiz, adding or subtracting 180 degrees, to determine your heading?

I've been away from boating for a while, so maybe there are now special compasses for this use, but if not, I'd be lost !

kp
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am hopeful I am not "hijacking" Peter's post with this question.

S/V Bali Ha'i has a bulkhead mounted compass. It is an Aquameter Saturn compass with an inclinometer. Although I do not believe it is OEM, it is very old.

The compass works well and I would like to keep using it. The compass cover (some type of plastic) does not work so well. It is old and graying (like me) and has a tendency to fall off (or fall down like me :( ).

I would like to purchase a new cover. Aquameter is out of business. They apparently sold most parts, etc. to Viking Compass. I talked with Viking. They do NOT have the compass covers for the Aquameter Saturn bulkhead compass and were not able to offer any suggestions for finding a replacement part.

Anyone have any ideas or leads on where I could purchase a properly sized compass cover :?:

I am not very good with internet searches but have exhausted the little that I know how to do.

Any thoughts, leads, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I use a speed puck on my Pearson Ensign. It shows heading, change in heading and speed in large easy to read digital numerals. Great for racing! And best of all, no holes in the boat. It attaches either with velcro backing or a easy to moung bracket. I use a bracket on each side and we move it when we tack so the helmsman can keep track of baot speed.

http://www.velocitek.com/speedpuck/
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I am hopeful I am not "hijacking" Peter's post with this question.

S/V Bali Ha'i has a bulkhead mounted compass. It is an Aquameter Saturn compass with an inclinometer. Although I do not believe it is OEM, it is very old.

The compass works well and I would like to keep using it. The compass cover (some type of plastic) does not work so well. It is old and graying (like me) and has a tendency to fall off (or fall down like me :( ).

Anyone have any ideas or leads on where I could purchase a properly sized compass cover :?:

Thank you.
Earlier this year I was asking the same question. A kind board member offered to send me an old one that he had, but I was not at the boat to verify the brand and size...then, with so many other projects, I forgot all about it. :oops: Maybe it is still available.
My compass hood has since broken, so I am in the market for something altogether different. Something that won't protrude so much into one of the best seats in the cockpit
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

The Speedpuck looks pretty cool. Not sure if there are enough "boat bucks" in the fund for it, but since I don't have a GPS I am often wondering exactly how fast (or probably more accurately, slow) I'm going. Obviously overall speed can be calculated if you know the distance between two points, but it would be cool to have more minute-to-minute feedback to experiment with sail trim, etc.
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

The lowrance elite-4 shown in my post above is under $300 if I recall correctly. It has an internal antenna, so its an easy install. It is a little difficult to see in the pic, but the number at top of the screen is speed over ground and the number at the bottom of the screen is the course over ground.

Having these numbers immediately available definitely helps in making trim and course decisions. I don't race, but like to get the most out of the boat whenever possible. As indicated above the map screen is nearly useless to me as the screen is too small to be useful from the tiller and I can't read it when I get close up without my reading glasses.
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ